Masters Running

Race Report: Grand Rapids Marathon (Read 28 times)

Joe618

ORN: 26.2 miles, 5:04:52, 11:38/mile

Running is so fascinating a sport. Who could imagine a 5 hour marathon would be so encouraging? Yet, this race did. I'll try to capture it.

The Grand Rapids Marathon is a terrific event, organized by Don Kern and a fabulous team of runners, focused on the average runner. I've run maybe ten of Don's various events in Grand Rapids and they never fail to be well-organized. We were blessed with excellent running weather for this race as well, temps in the upper 40s and modest breeze.

And it came at a good time for me.

It's been over a year since I've had a race I really felt good about. This year, in particular has been choppy. The Carmel Marathon in April was tough, I fared poorly in a trail race in late April, I had a lousy time at a huge trail ultra in New Hampshire and I felt sluggish and ancient at a Labor Day 15K. I've been fighting various niggles and pains in my left foot, had a monster head cold that put me on the side for a week in September and just haven't been dialed in. Plus, my 70th birthday rolled around on October 9. Was this the beginning of the end of marathoning?

So, during early September, I altered my training plan, shifting to Hal Higdon's Senior Marathon Program...three days a week of running, counting on experience to counteract the inevitable loss of speed.

But would it work? The test was at Grand Rapids.

Race morning was good...I got to the start line early, happened into a terrific pre-race get together with World Vision fund-racers and felt ready to go. I took the 7am "velocity challenged" start time, which got me going with a smaller pack pre-dawn. We were off and I was racing.

I ran the first two miles and then settled into my planned run two minutes/walk one minute pattern I thought would be sustainable. The miles started clicking off...we were past mile 5 before I even expected it to happen. We wound through the park and got past the half-marathon split at mile 9, feeling good.

The only niggle of the day happened around mile 11...my left foot started "talking" to me...oy, what's that about? I popped a couple of Alleve and soon the pain was gone, not to return. I hit the half marathon timing mat at 2:31...I was pleased, as I felt fine and was happy with that pace.

The course wound around various parks and I had no idea where I was, as this course was new territory for me. The aid stations were perfectly spaced though, the volunteers terrific. On a long out and back section between miles 15 and 21, it was a blast to see so many runners. Having taken the early start, I was getting passed regularly by runners who began an hour after me...thus, any loneliness was gone.

When I noticed mile splits come up on my Garmin during the race, I had a sense the splits were consistent. Looking later, I was very pleased how steady they were in the 11:35/mile range...time and time again. The flat course sure helped but the encouragement to my psyche was palpable even as I ran.

Passing the mile 21 marker, I had an idea. Could I even pick up the pace a bit??? I felt fine...no Wall, no cramps, no pain...could I push it a bit? I tried it. For me, this meant simply bumping my run/walk ratio from 2/1 to 3/1. I did an held that pattern to the end. Amazingly, the progression of my final miles went from 11:46 to 11:31 to 11:20 to 11:11 to 11:02 to 10:39. Astounding.

I crossed the finish line at 5:04 and was thrilled. I never could have imagined I would feel so good about a 5:04. But I did...my first marathon in the 70-74 age group and, let's face it, how many septuagenarians do a crazy thing like this, much less enjoy it? I was so thankful for the gift of health God has granted me. It was wonderful to be "back" and so enjoy a marathon. Icing on the cage...I place 2nd of 7 in the new AG. I was also impressed there were six other guys out there for 26.2. Way to go guys!

<figure></figure>

Quite a journey. And running is full of surprises.

Thanks for reading. Persevere.

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

wildchild

Carolyn

Great racing and pacing, Joe!  Sounds like you found the magic formula!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

mrrun

Joe - great racing and with your smile easy to see how happy you are. It’s wonderful that you found new joy in this.  Keep it up!

Henrun

Congrats Joe. Great report and great race..

Mike E

MM #5615

Fantastic, Joe!  That’s what it’s all about!  Enjoying running.  Enjoying racing.  Enjoying doing the best you can do at whatever age you happen to be.  This report is very encouraging for me.  Thank you!  Congratulations!

Great report and perfectly executed race!   Congratulations and welcome to your 70s.  Way to go!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Negative splits! Awesome! Just curious, finishing in just over 5 hours, why use the early start?

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

TammyinGP

What a great race Joe!! Thanks for the race report and congrats on having a great time - not just the splits and pacing, but sounds like you just really enjoyed the whole thing!

Tammy

SteveP

Good to see ya Joe.  If it is not fun, then what's the point.  Good deal all the way around.

SteveP

moebo

What a great report!  So glad that you had such a great race, especially the last few miles. Congrats! And thanks for sharing.

Dave59

Nice running and report. I was impressed by your strong finish.

Good things happen in Michigan. 

Jlynne

Great race Joe! You're rocking your new AG!

Joe618

Negative splits! Awesome! Just curious, finishing in just over 5 hours, why use the early start?

Good question, Twocat

Logistically, the early start let me head home an hour sooner than I would have otherwise, as we had a place to be on Sunday evening, so that helped. 

Psychologically, I was intrigued by how I'd react to having all the folks who started an hour after me pass me.   I didn't know how I'd react and wanted to see.    It worked out much better than I anticipated...I had fun cheering on all the faster folks.   Unexpectedly, it also kept me running with people the entire time, rather than getting strung out and shuffling along by myself over the final miles.   Considering I ran a 5:04, I finished with the folks who ran a 4:04, and there were a lot of them.   I'll take the early start again, given the opportunity.

Mathematically, it provided a great story problem for me to work through on the way up and then test.  "Joe begins his marathon at 7:00am and runs at a pace of 11:38/mile.   If the race leaders start their race at 8:00am and run at a pace of 6:00/mile, at what mile marker will the leaders pass Joe?"   I love story problems.    My pre-race calculation said it would be between mile 10 and 11.   What fun...the two dudes leading things came by me at mile 10.6....you bet I looked at my Garmin when they pulled past me!!!

Fun stuff!!

Joe

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Loved the report and the follow up.

The rrs and I ran this one on 19 October 2008! I think dAAve and Markguy might have run the half or 5K or just met us for lunch in AA ? I know we met Rochrunner and DeeBee for a walk around a lake in AA. Really enjoyed that.

Grand Rapids was a fun marathon. I think we went through a zoo?

Did you, Joe?

I really enjoyed the details you've shared.

Nice running, Joe, and welcome to your 70s! I enjoyed my HMs in Grand Rapids but it wasn't the year that RCG was taking about. I liked the organization and the course and my DW enjoyed staying at the Amway Grand where she could get a room service breakfast and still make it to the finish line to see me. 🙄 Your running career is looking good in your new AG and beyond!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"