Masters Running

Monday October 27 Runs and Not-So-Runs (Read 522 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

Holly, thanks for the pic of CNYrunner! She's one fast and determined lady! Tall, you have such a competitive spirit. Even though you didn't get a PB, congrats on 3rd in AG and 7th overall. I don't know much about race strategy but I'd think that instead of even pacing (like you ran in this race) or uncomfortably hard pacing (like you plan for the next one) you might try negative splits. Then you could start off comfortably hard and end up uncomfortably hard. Good luck next week at the Cookie Run. (love the name!) I went for a great 5.5 mile run at lunchtime in IRC: 51 degrees and sunny. Kept a fairly even 10mm pace for the first 5 miles, then cooled down for the last 1/2. Avg pace for the whole run was 10:05.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

Tim, you, Perch and me will all be doing our marathons this weekend in a somewhat compromised state. Hope your foot/ankle is ok and it responds well to the break. You'll be fine with no running this week. Your legs will be bursting with energy at the start line though so be careful! I don't know if I'm under-trained so much as I'm "over tapered" for NYC. I go to the foot doc tomorrow and am hoping for a cortisone injection. From everything I've read about my situation, that's the best option at this point. We'll see if the good doctor agrees. And if he cancels this appointment I think I'll go hunt him down. Spent the weekend in Anchorage with DH as sort of a "run away from home" thing. Had a great time, ate too much, spent too much $ and watched two movies at the theater... something we just don't do at home. Got a good workout in yesterday with 50 minutes hard on the stationary bike and a half hour of weights. Overall, it was a nice break, but our flight was delayed last night and we got in late late late. Back at work today on just 3 hours of sleep. Dead Just skimmed thru the dailies for this weekend and it sounds like some very good races took place with the top honors to Peter for his PR and BQ!!! Add another to the Boston roster, Peter?? Rest day for me today... just a few days to work on house cleanup (or disaster-recovery??) before we leave at 1 a.m. on Friday for NYC!
      TammyinGP

That's a great pic of Karin! My goal is to someday take a decent race photo. In all of mine, my mouth is gaping wide open or I look like I'm having the most miserable time of my life. And I know that 98% of time I look like Karin there - great form, determined look, slender . . . at least I do in my mind and isn't is a photographer JOB to make the subject look good?? Confused Went out for 4 miles at lunchtime. 35:09. Ran a bit faster than I thought I did. Must have been from dodging all those cars that pay no attention to runners. Roll eyes

Tammy

Top 'O the World!

Basin, Wyoming...The Double J Ranch.... Smile
          That'd be North-Central...?? I dunno what's up there for races....Amy?
          Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Renee the dog

Took the kids to the beach and did get my last planned mile for the day in...I ran .2 mi loops and they cheered me each time I came around. Smile

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Tim! I'm with you Tammy- I have NEVER had a decent race photo. Karin looks awesome, even with a broken jaw! Holly - good luck with that. 5.1 slow slow miles this morning.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

<------- this is my best ever race photo. i didn't run today...got halfway dressed for it and had to switch plans. i was feeling dizzy but i am better now. went for a 2 mile walk instead. i think i need to rest. tomorrow i hope to run. lots of big races coming up this weekend eh? this="" is="" my="" best="" ever="" race="" photo.="" i="" didn't="" run="" today...got="" halfway="" dressed="" for="" it="" and="" had="" to="" switch="" plans.="" i="" was="" feeling="" dizzy="" but="" i="" am="" better="" now.="" went="" for="" a="" 2="" mile="" walk="" instead.="" i="" think="" i="" need="" to="" rest.="" tomorrow="" i="" hope="" to="" run.="" lots="" of="" big="" races="" coming="" up="" this="" weekend=""></------- this is my best ever race photo. i didn't run today...got halfway dressed for it and had to switch plans. i was feeling dizzy but i am better now. went for a 2 mile walk instead. i think i need to rest. tomorrow i hope to run. lots of big races coming up this weekend eh?>

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

TammyinGP

That is a good photo Enke. In all of my photos, the photographer also manages to get me when both feet are hitting pavement, or one is just barely starting to lift off, so it looks like I'm huffing, puffing and totally miserable unable to catch my breath . . . while walking. it's pathetic . . really. Roll eyes

Tammy

Top 'O the World!

So, would you spend the $$ for a brightroom shot if you liked it??
                    Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                    wildchild

Carolyn

Wasn't there a bad race photo thread over on KR a while back? I remember looking thru them with my daughter and cracking up. OOH, I found it: http://www.kickrunners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13470 Of course, there's no way I'd ever post my bad race photos. Nuh uh. It must have been a trick of the light (but really just gravity and middle age) but my legs looked like solid cellulite in my worst picture. Not to mention my expression, which made it clear I was NOT having fun. The race picture in my avatar is one of my better ones.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Speaking of bad pictures, check out my profile picture...caught me trying to put a contact lens back in after my swim leg Roll eyes Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

I did buy that photo! Up close, my face looks a bit snarly, but that's to be expected. It is the only one ever that has my leg that far off the ground (my right calf is parallel to the ground!) The photographer caught me during my 7:38 pace sprint to the finish line. I never run that fast otherwise. All my other photos look like I'm walking. Maybe we should start a dreadful race photo thread here! Wildchild, you go first! (I bet I'd win!)

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Monday - 9.12 miles - 1:08:43 - 7:31 Avg HR 141 Max HR 153 2 mile w/up, 4 miles at mp, 5 x 1 min @ 5K pace w/recovery jogs, 2 mile c/down 8:03 - 131/143 7:48 - 135/140 7:16 - 144/148 7:18 - 148/152 7:00 - 148/150 7:03 - 149/151 7:21 -147/153 7:59 - 138/145 7:51 - 136/141 0:59 - 136/137 OK that was more or less a prep for NY - 5th & 6th mile were a bit fast but damn I felt good! Wink No more hard ones the rest of the week everything else is easy with a few stride thrown in for good measure and that's it. Karin sure does look good in that photo doesn't she, and great form is right. You would never know she took such a mean spill would you?
                              on photos: My feet too, are always on the ground, and the legs remind me of "What Ever Happened to Baby Jane" or some other horror/freak show, eeeuuuww, why does skin DO that? OK, Holly , Mtnchk, and Carolyn and anyone else, -- Basin, WY is a mere 132 miles/ 2 hour drive from Billings, MT. and there's a nice homey marathon over there in September. Not fancy, but fun. Choover from that other board (used to be a CRer) is a college librarian there and usually runs the half--really really super lady. Casper, WY is either the first or second weekend in June and just under 200 miles from Basin and about 3 hours. AND, Basin is 285 miles and about 4.5 miles from Spearfish, home of the Leading Ladies Marathon in August. grins, A 2 recovery miles on the treadmill at 16:40. I think once I get onto NYC streets, I'll get the vibe and be ready to run.....but not as fast as Maine........what are you now thinking of a race pace, Twocat? [modified to add--he's been sick and haas a hamstring issue, please do not think I would presume to run with a healthy Twocat!]
                              Masters 2000 miles

Top 'O the World!

...& it looks like the Deadwood/Mickelson Trail is June 7, 2009