Masters Running

Whole grain bread - make? buy and freeze? (Read 438 times)

Queen of 3rd Place

I'm with mtnchk on the King Arthur's, there *is* a difference. As for a good recipe book, I LOVE Beth Hensperger's "The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook". Beth's recipe for Sennebec Hill bread (white and whole wheatflour, rye, rolled oats, cornmeal, wheat germ (I sometimes substitute buckwheat flour for the wheat germ) is a household favorite. Arla Thinking of doing some baking right now!

Ex runner

arf

MM #405

Okay, I tried that once, but I got a loaf of bread that was hard as a rock! I think I better leave the breadmaking to others....
      Big grinHolly, your posts ALWAYS crack me up. You get a gold star 'cause at least you TRIED to make bread....I was never that domestic. I made cookies once and my son said they made great hockey pucks Angry arf

Top 'O the World!

Arla Thinking of doing some baking right now!
        Hmmm, 1 good batch yeilds 2.5 dozen cabbage burgers! Cool I'm glad they freeze well!
        Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
        evanflein

Sue, I love that Dakota bread! Our closest Great Harvest is in Anchorage (360 miles away) so we stop there whenever we go. Last trip I bought three loaves of the Dakota bread and cut them in half before double bagging and freezing them. I can take out half a loaf at a time which allows us to eat it up before it dries out any, the other halves stay peacefully frozen till we pluck them out. My dh likes to make bread in our bread machine, but he's still fiddling with getting proportions right... we have lots of "sunken ships" and some that puff up so high they push open the lid! I really like it that he plays in the kitchen like that though... the big hits are anything with tomatoes/garlic/cheese and/or herbs (oh, and beer bread...).
          HappyFeat

I confess to using a bread machine because I always kill the yeast when I try to make bread any other way. Have been making two loaves per week for probably 15 years. Store bread is worthless. When I make my own, I know I'm getting good stuff! Right now, in my usual recipe, I put a half-cup of flax meal, 2 cups of 7-grain cereal, 1 1/ cup whole wheat flour, 1/2 cup wheat "white" flour, a half-cup of gluten flour, 2 cups of wheat bran, along with 1/3 cup honey, 1 1/2 tsp salt, 2 cups water heated to 120 degrees, and 1 1/2 tsp yeast. Sometimes I have to vary the amount of water in the recipe because a new batch of flour can affect the rising.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.