Masters Running

Monday, 1.2.17 (Read 37 times)

Mariposai

2.5 miles in a skirt and singlet today.  No worries...I will be freezing my butt off in a couple of days...gotta love the south 

I was just starting to hate you when I read your final phrase Smile

{{{{{{Erika}}}} so sorry to read this. BTW, I am shopping for below 10F running tights. Any suggestion, ohhh magnificent snow queen?

Dave59, 60f???  where are you at? What did you read today?

Tamster, I hope your weather change for the better soon. Kudos to your DH for going to town to get supplies.

Enkie, I am still so sad that we were not able to get together for some Xcountry skiing. Hey, plan to come over to see us over the winter months. We got plenty of snow.

Tramps, please say hi to TriBi.

Denise, that sounds like a great challenge. Got to get something like that going locally next year.

Rochrunner, my DH has been doing the AARP taxaide volunteer for over 10 years. It is a great program.

Taperboy, where are you? You are too quiet lately.

Well, speaking of programs, my agency will be starting a new program of Section 8 vouchers for veterans. We are excited about this, but as any new program with HUD, the preparation process (new Adm plan, new data entry in various software systems, new policies and procedures, etc) is huge, so I spent most of my day today reading up the Federal Registry document so I can be better prepared for the rest of the week. Yes, I do have the day off, but my DH was also doing some work from home, so I did not feel guilty Smile and, I feel much better prepared now.

On running, I felt much better today, so I ran 8 miles on the TM, slow miles, but hey,I will take it. I am happy to see that I was able to run that far and still feel that I have a little bit on me.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

flats

turtle runner eximious

I didn't get in many miles this morning. The temps were around freezing, and there was this London fog type drizzle. I felt uncomfortable being outside and was worried about black ice. I thought about going to the gym, but staying home all day in my sweatpants was too much of an incentive. Back to work tomorrow, boo.

Michael

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Jay--I am very sorry to hear about your friend.

I went 6 miles with Ryan, today...then took him to the airport for his flight back to Oregon.  It is sad to see him go but I am thankful for the 3 runs I had with him.  I did have to use this run to talk to him about being a little more responsible.  I think Debbie and I just did too much for our younger two.  Neither one of them are self sufficient.  Our first six were on their own once they left the house...but Ryan and Eric are still depending on our help and it's getting pretty ridiculous.

Okay--I'd better stop now, before I really get into it.  Just so you know, though--another thing I told Ryan, today--is that you people are some of the best friends I have.  Nobody here tries to make their lives seem so perfect.  We all have our struggles.  It's just nice to be able to come to a place where people listen and don't judge.  Thanks.  Okay--that's it. See ya!

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Hey! Mariposai invited me over. I'm glad it was a short run day today because the wind was pretty biting today. I got it done, but I was happy to finish!  Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Mariposai

Hey! Mariposai invited me over. I'm glad it was a short run day today because the wind was pretty biting today. I got it done, but I was happy to finish!  Smile

Howdie Meg. You are here. I hope you enjoy this forum as much as I do. This is a very, very nurturing place for me and many others not just for my running life, but life in general.

Hey, RA family, meet Meg. She is way cool and a great runner too Smile

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy New Year, all.  And Welcome or Welcome back to new and old.  Great to see you joining in.

Sorry to hear about your friend, Jay.  Sucks at any time of the year.

I get to go back to work tomorrow for the first time since 12/20.  It will be interesting to see how far behind I've gotten.  And just to make it a bit more challenging, I'll try to get in a run in the morning.  Ought to be fun--a week at Pacific time and no mornings earlier than about 8:00.

I did make it out for a couple of 4 milers over the weekend.  Sunday's was in shorts when it hit 40.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Welcome, Meg! Any friend of Mariposai's is a friend of ours. Welcome to flats too. Where do you live. I have very few windless days here in SW Mn. So sorry about your young friend's passing.  Tomwhite, take it easy in those shoes.  Oh, Janie B Good put Ribs in the oven somI guess we won't see him at all here anymore.

l listened to a podcast on goal setting this week. One thing I wrote down was "Dreams are goals without a plan, Turn your dream into goals, goals into daily activities that cause you accomplish what you want to do."

That being said I took all the Christmas stuff down, got the boxes of stuff off the shelves that we didn't use this year and went to town. Keep-Toss-Donate-Keep for the kids ( my mom had a lot of decorations too). I made some progress and condensed it down quite a bit. We have two artificial trees to donate. Next year we are getting a tree out of the ditch! My Sis in law does that every year, actually makes the grand kids drag it to the house.

oh, I did get to the Y finally after lunch, it was so stuffy in there I only stayed 35 minutes on the bike.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

My sister in law's "Ditch tree" I love it and you can't beat the price!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Thanks for the welcome! I live in Saskatchewan, but a lot of people don't know Canadian provinces. Think north of the Montana and North Dakota border. It's about 150 miles or 240 km from my city to the Canada/US border.

The ditch tree is fun! We have a real tree every year and I prefer that. I don't want to have to find storage for a fake one. I have enough stuff already. Wink

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

evanflein

Ok.... ditch trees? Are these the real trees thrown in the ditch after Christmas? If so, first, I can't imagine doing that, and second, how does that help you next year? Or do people throw out their artificial trees? I don't get it. Our tree is a beautiful 8' artificial tree that everyone thinks is real. We got it when a friend of mine who owned a Christmas store was going out of business maybe 18 years ago (?). It retailed then for over $800 and I got it for just under $200 and love it.

Welcome, Meg! I understand the "don't know where that is" thing. I'm in the interior of Alaska, and most people think we're just north of NYC (really, I used to get so many calls from NYC retailers at 4 a.m.), just north of Seattle, or sitting in the lower Pacific Ocean with Hawaii so I know how it goes. I love Saskatchewan, almost as much as British Columbia and the Yukon Territory!

Glad to hear Mariposai is feeling better. As for 10°F tights, well, I have taken to wearing long underwear from Lands End under some winter running pants that works pretty well. The long underwear is a silky feel that slides under the pants so well there's no pull or sticking feeling. I don't see the kind I currently have, but these look similar. I've had the outer running pants for years and don't remember where I got them, but you and I got some winter running pants a few years ago at a race expo that would work. Still have those?

Hi Starr! I hope you are doing well and Lon is doing ok these days. We're working on condensing down, too. Sold the kids' bunk beds finally, and getting them to take their things like snowboards/boots, soccer shoes, skates, etc. It's amazing how much stuff they leave behind. Hey if you don't want it let me know and I'll get it to someone who does!

No run today but lots of house cleaning. I actually went through my shoe collection that's been growing by the door and bagged up about 7 pairs that can probably be given away or thrown away. Amazing the difference! So we all of a sudden have so much extra room by our entry door. It's very nice! Anyway, my ankle feels much better and I think I can be back out on the roads tomorrow.

SteveP

Jay, I'm sorry about your friend.

Denise, I'm glad you cleared up that acronym. I came up with something extremely different.

Tramps, it's very good to see you posting.

Holly, Snork!!!!

Gotta love the South, Spacity.

You're a good guy, MikeE.

Hi Canadian Meg.

I told my boss and immediate supervisor that on Monday Wednesday and Friday, I'm out the door no later than 5:00 PM. I'm scheduled until 4:30. I got a call from the county sheriff's department regarding the bike I found while trail running Saturday eve. The officer identified himself and asked how I was doing. I said, "Let me check the mirror......There's a picture of Grandpa Munster???? Ah sh**! That's the mirror!!.....(sigh)...I'm not good".  I did tell the cop, if they find out the bike belongs to a disadvantaged kid, let me know. I'll pick it up and fix it.

The dog and I went 2.5 miles after work. We love love love the headlamps Santa left in the stocking. I keep imagining a person finding their way out of a dark trail and seeing a small light bouncing off of the ground and bright green eyes coming towards them. The picture doesn't do the scenario justice. However, you can get the idea.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

I thought about going to the gym, but staying home all day in my sweatpants was too much of an incentive.

Sometimes you just have to give in to it.....

Hi Meg!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."