Masters Running

Monday - 9/8 - Runs and observations (Read 470 times)

evanflein

I'm following Holly and Aamos to the gym! Actually, I'll go later after work and do some weights and pool running. I realize now that after my run yesterday I never took a break because we were doing a big roast on the grill and I had to get all the dinner fixin's ready. Back and forth to the garden, up and down stairs to the front yard, then cleanup afterwards... I never iced my foot and forgot the ibu last night. So my foot hurts this morning. Drat. And it had felt pretty good all weekend! Taper and some rest days hit just in time I think. I'll have six weeks between Equinox and NYC, so that should be a good time to really rest it up and see how it does. I'm thinking of two weeks of pool running...
    TammyinGP

Good Morning. Gordon - sorry you didn't do as well as you wanted to at the Marathon. Sounds like things just weren't lining up for you and that's okay - there's always other marathons to conquer. My son had his first football game this weekend (flag football). His team lost, but DS scored the only touchdown of the game, so he was pleased with that. But then every team he was going for lost yesterday - the Seahawks, the 49ers, then the Colts. I was hoping at least ONE of his teams would win! Okay - tonight is the Packers and Vikes. I'm from MN, so I'm still a Vikings fan. DS is a Packers fan. And this one time only I'm really hoping the Packers will win so that my son doesn't feel like every team he likes are losers. Next weekend the Seahawks versus the 49'ers will be an interesting game at our house. DS will go for the Hawks, DH is a diehard 49er fan. I wonder if I have the endurance to just leave and go for a run for 3 hrs. Not sure I want to be in the house during that one. Aside from a 7.3 mile run on Saturday, that's all I was able to do this weekend. Have a good day everyone.

Tammy

Sox fans kindly send checks my way. Thanks to our generosity, you guys are now poised for the top slot. You are 2 games back in the loss column and you have 3 at Fenway against the Rays, where you own them! Lester goes tonight and he hasn't been beat by them, so no excuses this 3 game set. I expect to see you on top by Wednesday.
        Boy I sure hope you are right on this one Ribs...but I won't bank on it until the games are played. I will say that overall I am pleased with the way the Sox are playing vs. the way the Rays are playing of late. Big grin On another note I am completely and utterly disappointed with Tom Brady's injury, that could really mean a very long year for us Pats fans...here's hoping for the best for Brady and the Pats. Busy day yesterday with a 12 miler early in the morning - Sunday - 12 miles - 1:42:29 (8:33) - Avg HR 120 Max HR 136 - 72 degrees and 83 % humidity - and then the rest of the day letting my DW spoil me on my 53rd! 5 Progressively easy miles on tap for later this afternoon. Good runs all.

Marathon Maniac #957

and then the rest of the day letting my DW spoil me on my 53rd!
          Happy Birthday!!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

Hope you had a great b'day Bob, and yes I agree with your comments about Brady. Everyone was waiting to see how NE would rebound this year after their S.B. disappointment, but this taints the whole year. Spareribs
            Henrun

Happy birthday Bob. Hope it's also a celebration day for the Sox. Too bad about Brady. Sad. Yesterday Marj ran 14 at a healthy pace. I should have done likewise. Instead I chose to do a local hilly bike ride, but I was tired and didn't ride my 'light' road bike, so i dropped out early and rode home. Subsequently Marj and I were out of synch as I did my 14 miler this beautiful a.m. That turned out to be a good thing,however. She cycled to meet me after an hour,ran with me a bit and brought me a cooler singlet shirt. There's nothing like having your own pit crew Blush
                Aamos....sorry I had mixed up the two Portlands! I am shopping around for another half-marathon to do, seeking revenge on the lousy half I ran last week. This one caught my eye: Girlfriends Half Marathon Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 10:00 AM - Vancouver, WA (the other Vancouver!) A Half Marathon to benefit the Susan G. Komen for a Cure Foundation. The event is designed specifically for women including massage and foot rubs, chocolate treats, cool Nike t-shirt and all Male Volunteers. Well this sounded too good to be true, you know I love chocolate, and it is TGTBT, already soldout! (1000 runners) I'm feeling pretty good today, I think all my energy is back, my stomach is good...might be able to attempt speedwork tomorrow, won't know until I try. Sorry to hear about your marathon Lyndenrunner.....it was 70 in the morning...hard to race well at that temperature when it is also high humidity and direct sun. I am sure that run will only make you tougher.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #3309

Quick observation about my up coming Marathon. With over 6000 registered to this point, I am not really thrilled with the start....see below information on the Marathon's website. This is my first race with a lot of runners, and don't want to waste many minutes getting to the start line with the clock running, Yes, the DAG chip system will be used. The chip is attached to your bib number, one single product for timing and identification. No wasting time, pick up your bib number and have your chip already in place. All awards and results are based off of the time the gun goes off, not the time that you cross the start line. Rule #245 Part 1: The order in which the athletes cross the finish line will be the official position. Part 3: The official time shall be the time elapsed between the start of the watches or timing devices resulting from an appropriate start signal and the athlete reaching the finish line. However the actual time elapsed between an athlete reaching the starting line and finish line can be made known to the athlete, but will not be considered as official time. Given these statements, I guess I will just start my watch at the start line, and go with that as my official time, huh? Guess I think too much sometimes Roll eyes Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Good afternoon everyone. 4.5 miles on the eliptical this morning follwed with upper body weights and ab work. Happy birthday Bob! Spareribs - it was nice to see the old guy play well yesterday, even if he isn't here any more. Sad He's my fantasy football quarterback. That 4th down play where he threw it up for grabs in the end zone - vintage Favre. I'm going to the Packer-Viking game tonight. We'll see how the understudy does. Have a good evening, everyone. Jeanne
                    Teresadfp

One day at a time

Tim, you're not thinking too much! You're exactly right. It took me about a year to realize that for most races that I run in, my chip time isn't my "real" time, especially since I try to be considerate and start out at the back of the pack. It finally dawned on me that the only way the chip time equals the real time is if there's a start mat at the start line. Now I check that out before the race begins. I'm so smart! Wink MTA: While ago, I was working in our home office and heard a loud CRASH, and DH yelling. Scared me to death - at first I thought he was hurt. Turns out that our new garage door opening unit was improperly fastened to the ceiling (1 1/2" long screws, good grief), and the whole thing fell on our "new" (used 2007) Ford Focus! There's a dent in the car, and of course the door is stuck shut now. Fortunately, we have an open garage (no column in the middle), so DH could painstakingly maneuver the car back and forth enough times to get it out the other door. We are NOT too pleased with our building contractor! He's conscientious, at least, so I'm sure he will pay for the car damage. Just means more juggling to get it to the shop, though.
                      wildchild

Carolyn

Happy birthday, Mainerunnah! Tim, that sounds odd that they provide timing chips but use gun time. Maybe to fix the problem you should start out toeing the line. Cool Easy 4 mile recovery run at lunchtime with my furry running buddies (I'm working at home today.) It was chilly again this morning, 35 degrees, but it warmed up to 51 by noon. Beautiful day to be out, blue sky and sunshine, but I felt slow and sluggish and took it easy. Now I need a nap.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Just wanted to jump in to congratulate dg/debbie on the big running milestone yesterday. Also a shoutout to hopeful about the marathon training progress: I'll look for you at the 3-mile water stop! I haven't been running the last few days, but did 34 workout-intensity miles on the bike today in 2:13:30 (15.1mph average). I have a 4-mile "prediction run" event on Thursday and maybe a 5K in Ann Arbor on Saturday. I'll stop in sometime to catch up on everything else. Good running, everyone!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Quick observation about my up coming Marathon. With over 6000 registered to this point, I am not really thrilled with the start....see below information on the Marathon's website. This is my first race with a lot of runners, and don't want to waste many minutes getting to the start line with the clock running, Yes, the DAG chip system will be used. The chip is attached to your bib number, one single product for timing and identification. No wasting time, pick up your bib number and have your chip already in place. All awards and results are based off of the time the gun goes off, not the time that you cross the start line. Rule #245 Part 1: The order in which the athletes cross the finish line will be the official position. Part 3: The official time shall be the time elapsed between the start of the watches or timing devices resulting from an appropriate start signal and the athlete reaching the finish line. However the actual time elapsed between an athlete reaching the starting line and finish line can be made known to the athlete, but will not be considered as official time. Given these statements, I guess I will just start my watch at the start line, and go with that as my official time, huh? Guess I think too much sometimes Roll eyes Tim
                            Tim, That's pretty amazing Why go to the expense of a chip system if the data is FYI only? Often awards are based on gun time but chip time is accepted for Boston qualifying, age group ranking etc. Is this a Boston Qualifier marathon? Seems wierd. Aamos has run more than a hundered marathons, I'd like to hear her take on this. Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

King of PhotoShop

I would also like to add to Tim's remarks that he is likely to run around 3:30, which is a pretty respectable time in today's marathons. Tim, you have every right to set yourself up for a starting position close to the front (obviously behind the elites), and if you do, I doubt you will lose much time. I too am surprised at this bizarre timing arrangement. Spareribs
                                Late run for me today after a day in Boston with a client and then a speaking gig. 6.3 miles through the Molitoris Apple Orchards and in view of the Holyoke "mountain" range. It was 78F, but beautiful out. No watch, no iPOD-----nice decompression shake-out run. I totally busted our 14 year-old and very deaf beagle though. My guys are at the ice rink for hockey practice and Boogie clearly thought I was with them. I came in from my run and caught him snoring away on the living room couch (aka forbidden zone). He knows better and would have bounced right off the couch in his younger days when he could hear the click of the door. I only yelled at him a little....poor doggie, he sits in his dog bed staring at the wall, turns in the wrong direction when we call him and is slowing down. He's in good shape otherwise---just can't hear and his cataracts are taking over. Happy Birthday Mainerunnah! I hope the day is grand. Congrats wildchild on the awesome racing yesterday. Nice progression there. Huge hugs to you maraposai. I'll be thinking of you and your family as you face this next stage. Strength to you and yours my sistah! Gordon---you are a talented, strong, and swift runner. As others here have said, the marathon is a cruel mistress/master---fickle and unyielding at times. Mother Nature sometimes gets in the mix too and then it's just nasty. You conquered the course and now you can cross that off the list and go rock another one when you are ready. You inspire us ever still. CNYrunner