Masters Running

Boston questions ... (Read 253 times)

May be some Boston locals or experienced Marathon runners can help me.

Accomodations  for the Boston Marathon are expensive.  How hard is it to get around?  Do the hotels provide shuttles?  Does the Marriott Long Wharf provide transportation to the start?

I'd apprecaite any ideas or comments - about anything that might be helpful.

We're so confused and not sure what to do really.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Hey Bill---Yes Boston hotels are more expensive than NYC hotels in many cases. Boston is pretty easy to navigate on the "T" as well as on foot depending on where you stay. The Marriott Long Wharf doesn't provide transportation to the race start (in Hopkinton) but you can take a cab or even share a shuttle from the hotel to the busses that will take you to the start. The busses load up in the Boston Commons---not too far away from the Long Wharf. In other words, the Marriott Long Wharf will be fine to get to the expo and other activities over the weekend. The hotels in Back Bay are right in the thick of the finish line activities, but will run you more money.

I think Holly and Erika got a great deal and they should chime in.

I am close enough in Western, MA that I don't stay in Boston. I'll come in on my running club's bus on Monday morning. Some locals should chime in. When henrun and Marj are back from Spain they will have lots to add as well. Deez4boys can help too.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Boston

The "T" is open in time to get to the buses in the morning.  We had no problem with that last year.

We've rented a small apartment on Beacon St this year. It's expensive, but so are the close-in hotels and we won't have to eat out every meal.

www.bnbboston.com may still have some availability.

This is sooo exciting, Byll!

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Having at least booked hotels for the marathon, even if I have yet to run it , I can tell you one thing:  book ASAP.  The hotels fill up quickly and prices only go in one direction - up.  As to transportation in general, it is pretty good to the start.  From the finish . . . not so good.  But then it does not matter so much!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

evanflein

Holly and I used Hotwire.com to find a place near the finish for a great rate. The problem with that is you don't know what the hotel is until you commit, but for under $100 a night we were game to try it. Turns out to be a renovated Best Western, so we're happy with that.

As for transportation, don't get a car! The T is very good and timely (except on race day...) and gets you pretty much anywhere you want to be. I would never try to drive in Boston. 

DH and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Brookline the last couple of years, but this year the rate seems to have really jumped. But the advantage is it's on the marathon route, about mile 24 I think, and right at a T stop, literally (get off the train, cross the road and go in the door).

The Boston T system is very easy, and assuming you get a hotel near the T you can fly in and get to your hotel that way.  Don't know if hotels have shuttles, but I kind of doubt it.  Last time I came in by plane the flight was delayed and I arrived around 11pm so I took a cab in -- don't know if I'd recommend the T that late as the trains don't come that often at that hour.

Really looking forward to finally meeting up with you Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Boston Billy...

Many of us have used Diane Golden's package deal... ok the bus to Hopkinton got us to a mile from teh start and we had to walk it in, but the rest of the experience was pretty good.  Ribs used them before and recommended it to us.

http://www.goldenadventures.com/upcoming_bostonmarathon2010.php

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Yes, Boston is an expensive city to stay in.  The BAA gets"good" rates through marathon tours.  Unfortunately, most of those hotels are already sold out. Here's what's left (hotel, price per night, miles from finish line): 

Westin Waterfront $230 1.9 miles

Hilton Financial $249 1.3 miles

Boston Harbor Htl(king bed only) $249 1.4 miles

Royal Sonesta $242 2.0 miles

Hyatt Cambridge $239 1.7 miles free buffet brkfast

Holiday Inn Express Braintree $159 11.5 miles free brkfast

The Boston hotels require a minimum two night stay (I recommend the Sunday night/Monday night stay).

As others have said, using the T system is easy.  On Boston marathon weekend, most everyone taking the T is a runner/supporter.  Believe it or not, most people are friendly/helpful with directions.

As far as things to do - the PBJ family enjoys the "trough dinner" the night before the race (it's included with your race entry fee),  The expo is one of the best expos anywhere.  The freedom trail is a nice piece of history (but it's a lot of walking, so be careful when you do it).  The Boston Museum of Science is excellent.  Lots of good restaurants in Boston (especially if you like seafood and/or Italian.)

Book your travel/hotel as soon as you can, and that will help determine the rest of your schedule.  Enjoy!

Thanks everyone. The info is very helpful.

We've decided no rental car. That was unanimous. And we'll be booking a hotel about a mile from the finish. We're going to use "Amex Points" we've been accumulating for years. Our plans are to fly in Saturday and then back out the following Thursday - giving us time after the race for sightseeing. Never been to Boston. If anyone is staying after the race, you're welcome to join us!

Thanks again, Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Hiya!  Where are you staying?  I like to stay in Brookline because I used to live there, so we're about a mile from the finish, on a side street just off Beacon (we run down Beacon).   Sometimes I hesitate to give advice, in that what if someone actually takes it and ends up unhappy?   Let me know if I can be of any help in making your first Boston wonderful.  (I lived in and around there for decades and have run the last 6 Bostons)  We'd love to meet you and Mrs. B--we'll be in on Friday and going home Tuesday, so not much overlap, but usually there's some sort of RA meet up Sunday.

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles