Masters Running

Sunday, Jan 10 runs and fun (Read 342 times)

Who's in the green cape????

La Tortuga -- she mostly posts on KR

Or is it Green Lantern?  Big grin

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Dang it, Jlynne.  I was sick and missed your post before you left for Florida.  We were in the same starting corral, and I really wanted to meet you.

I was a little appalled that Disney didn't provide some tents for shelter given that the cold weather wasn't exactly a surprise.  They upped the cap for the race this year, so the profits had to be enormous.  

I'm also surprised there were not some severe injuries today.   Water stations were icy, and the best they did was throw down some Powerade powder - I thought it was sand (which seems to be plentiful here, no?) initially, but was told by one of the volunteers that it was drink powder.  That's another thing - all of the water stations, package check-in etc. are run by volunteers - the Disney profit has to be staggering. 

The food was as nono indicated - individually wrapped muffins, oranges, bananas, raisins, Clif Bars and fruit cups yesterday.  Today was the same with the exception that the muffins were replaced by stale plain bagels - I took one bite and had to spit it out.  

Jlynne - I was another of those people who brought only 1 pair of shoes.  I've always brought 2 pairs of shoes, but this time I decided at the last minute that I was wary of the second pair I had broken in for the half marathon.  My wet pair spent the night laying on the hotel heater and were dry this morning, thank goodness.

I know Disney has a lot of negatives, but DH and I like getting away from the deep freeze up north this time of year, and this gives us an excuse.  We're more than likely going to repeat next year.  

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Marathon Maniac #957

{{{Jlynne}}}  Gosh, I would be so mad if I went to Florida in January and had  winter conditions like that.  And chip malfunction – how awful!

All I can say about Disney is that I am not tempted at all.  I hate these high-dollar races that give below-average service.  Even our $20 ORRRC Marathon has chicken noodle soup and chili at the end.

Erika – I LOVE your cranberry sauce/jam!  Don’t worry about mailing it, just bring it to Boston.

Enkephalin – do not AT ALL feel like you have to justify your mileage - you are a smart woman to be easing back into this after 9 months off.  Listening to your body and gently increasing the miles will keep you from getting hurt.  Besides, none of us care how much you run, we’re just happy to have you back with us.

We had a really fun time sledding this afternoon, if only for an hour or so, at a nearby golf course, which has a big hill at the 9th hole.  From the top you can see the buildings of downtown Dayton, 11 miles away.  Tough climbing that hill on LR-tired legs, though.  Too bad you can’t buy lift tickets.

I'm trying to insert an image, but it won't work.  Here's a picture off our deck at lunchtime today.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36669806@N00/4263612109/ 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

cool frosty landscape, Holly! And yes, I'll pack a jar for you and PDR.

As for Disney... i thought it was pretty well run, but I refuse to play into those "Let's just get them there early to avoid any problems" mindsets of race directors. I had DH drive me to the start, and it was great. Got there with plenty of time to use the porta potty, check my bag, get to the corral and STILL wait for about a half hour before the start. If only I'd remembered to put my chip on my damn shoe... 

At Boston, I usually take a shuttle that gets me there 45 minutes or so before the start. At NYC, I had my niece take me to get there after the busses would've dropped me off on that frozen hell hole, but well before the threat of closed roads. I would've preferred to go later, but my niece didn't want to get stuck on the wrong side of the bridge. But how stupid was this? I still had to sit around for hours before the race. Why?? I hate big races. Other than Boston this year, I plan on doing just smaller races that don't put you thru that hell. Unfortunately, that puts me out of some popular races... like Chicago.

30 minutes on the elliptical and then a full hour in the weight room. Took me awhile to get "into it," but then I didn't want to leave after my prior time limit of 1 hour. Other stuff to do, so had to go home. 

What did I do?

3 sets of 10 reps Lat Pulldown at 100 lb

3 sets of combination overhead press at 45° and seated bicep curls with 20 lb dumbbells, 10 reps each

3 sets of bicep curls on 45° bence with 20 lb dumbbells

3 sets of 20 chest flyes with 20 lb dumbbells (I felt this in my left rotator cuff... ouch)

3 sets of 20 chest presses with 20 lb dumbbells (on flat bench)

3 sets of "21's" bicep curls with 15 lb dumbbells

3 sets of 10 tricep kickbacks @ 15 lbs

3 sets of 10 standing lateral raises with 10 lb dumbbells

3 sets of 12 single arm rows @ 30 lb.

3 sets of 12 squats @ 40 lb

3 sets of 12 of deadlifts @ 50 lb

1 set of one-legged squats @ 40 lb

4 sets of 30 crunches on stability ball

2 sets of leg press machine @ 175 lb

Still wanted to do more but hit my 1 hr time limit and had to go!

That's another thing - all of the water stations, package check-in etc. are run by volunteers - the Disney profit has to be staggering. 

Often, the big races will pay a nonprofit organization or school, which then provides the crew of volunteers for the race.  Not that I'm defending Disney or anything (having heard complaints regarding this marathon year after year), but I'm pretty sure Disney had to pay something for all those volunteers.  Let's hear it for the stalwart volunteers who manned the stations this year!

I'm hanging around here, waiting for Ma Econo/Woods Lady to post her RR....oh wait, it's in the middle of the night there...well, maybe she'll wake up reaaaaaally early and post it?