Masters Running

Lead King Loop 25k Race Report (Read 24 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

Cross-posted from FB, so if you've seen it there, you can skip this!

This is a gorgeous race in Marble, CO! Beautiful weather and great friends made it a fun weekend!

This is Beaver Lake in Marble, where the race starts/finishes:

Me and my friends at the start: 

The race is all on 4WD roads, not as fun as trails, but the views were stunning! It starts with a 2,900 ft climb in the first 5 miles (oof!), and I was toward the back of the pack, but started passing people when we got above 10,000 ft - a bonus of living at high altitude. The high point is about 10,890 ft.

Views on the way up:

On the uphill climb.  This guy was from Germany, and this was his first trail race! 

Almost at the top! 

View from the high point, headed down the other side.

After that, the next 3-4 miles down is pretty runnable  This is at about mile 8, on a beautiful downhill: 

After that,  it starts to get pretty rocky, but the views were incredible. 

We ran through the old town of Crystal at mile 10.

At mile 10.5 we got to run past the famous Crystal Mill, built in 1892, and apparently one of Colorado's most photographed sites: 

It used a water turbine to power an air compressor.  The compressed air was then used to power tools and machinery at the nearby Sheep Mountain silver mine. 

There were some steep rocky uphills in the last few miles, then the steep run back down to town and the finish.

I finished in 4:29, 2nd of 8 in my age group. I think 3 of them were walkers (based on their finish times after the race cutoff, which means they took the early start for walkers.) I'm happy to see so many women in their 60s participating! I'm frequently the only one in my age group, and while that means I win first place, I always wish more people were getting out there at these events!

Dirt Divas at the finish line: 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Congratulations Carolyn!

Loved the photos and bit of history...just amazing scenery.

Gosh, 3000 feet elevation gain in 5 miles I would consider a very strenuous hike.

Go Dirt Divas!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

mrrun

Carolyn - great report & even greta pictures.  I'm impressed you can take pics while running!

Mike E

MM #5615

Excellent report.  Great pictures.  Great race.  Congratulations!

TammyinGP

Excellent photographic report! Thanks and Congrats! Glad to see other 60 something women in this race also. sounds like it was a challenging one.

Tammy

Greta RR, Carolyn! I enjoyed the photos and the rest of the story.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Tramps

Yowsa! That's a gorgeous route...and a challenging run. You're tough!  Thanks for posting.

Be safe. Be kind.

Beautiful photos Carolyn!! Dirt divas!! 

denise

Dave59

Very nice running. You have the most beautiful races in the country.

moebo

It's always such a pleasure to read about your trail run adventures, and to see those gorgeous views. Thanks for this!

Wonderful.  Beautiful and great running!  Thanks.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

pfriese

Very nice Carolyn. Colorado trails are always beautiful. Thanks for the race report.

Paul