Masters Running

Monday, April 7 Master-Boomer Runs (Read 632 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Jlynne – We here at RA won’t bail out on you – we’ll cheer you on to the finish of your half marathon in May. Smile There is an ice cream I get at Wal-Mart sometimes called “Birthday Cake” that sounds similar, but is not light – I’ll have to try Edy’s version. Anachrotek – hang in there..... Dg – yayyyyyy! {{{{Deez4boyz’s butt}}}} Perch - similarly, yesterday I put all the malted milk eggs that are left from Easter into a tupperware container, hidden in the back of the lower cabinet, just until after taper....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

btb1490

Happy Monday! Can't wait to hear about Steve's first day! from yesterday... Teresa- that bowling outing sounded like a lot of fun! And any run over 3 miles, I'll bet you'd be leaving your husband in the dust. charleygross- I remember you saying your daughter plays lacrosse. I hope your daughter is doing ok today. What a great experience for her to be travelling to England! Will they need you as a chaperone? Sorry to hear about your bothersome toe, I had no idea you had those issues. BCMorant- you weather is like a broken record. Nice day all around for you. eliz- thanks for checking in from the shore! I'm glad you had a nice weekend there. hallar- head back over the the team amy thread and pick a mile for yourself please! WTG on your distance PR yesterday! How is the calf today? perch- nice idea to dedicate your race to Tory, the wonder dog! evryday- there you go chasing tornados again. CMom- phew, what a day it was for you! I'm glad you didn't let your friend back down, now she'll have that feeling of accomplishment, thanks to you. Good news about the foot holding up, and no sfx. enke- I like your method of how to select your running route! Well done on your run, it sounded beautiful! dromedary- I still crack up at your avatar! That picture was breathtaking! I wouldn't want to stop running with scenery like that. Thanks for sharing it with us. biketm- you are a pretty amazing athlete. I'll bet you slept very well last night. Steve- what a great post from you yesterday. Thanks very much for that Steve. Smile You're an incredible guy! vista- did you melt? evanflein- again, I'm amazed at the conditions you endure for your runs. Great job getting it done! And great job to your son for getting his job done too! Paul- a 10k hard race after a 20 miler! It sounds like you had good reason to get out there and do it! lyndenrunner- You've been really consistent with your running, a few more tempo runs between now and your race will get you tuned and ready. JJJ- yeah, interesting angle on your avatar picture! from today... Holly- toe update please! Jeanne- it's up to you to set the standard for your friends to follow. Keep at it! You are doing really well! CNY- I really am impressed with your dedication and preparations. You really are an inspiration here, we are lucky to have you. Sue- Great to hear you getting some really nice runs in. Was this the chicken you saw? http://www.subservientchicken.com/ That "cow tracks" sounds terrible, you'd better send it to me for proper disposal. Peter- yeah, you're a real slacker. NOT! Jeanne- like I told Sue, you'd better send that awful sounding ice cream my way for proper disposal. TomS- lot's of travelling around for you over the weekend, but well worth it! Smile hopeful4ever- way to take the plunge with the hotel reservation! Twocat- I KNOW you will be fine for Boston! Stay focused on the final goal, not the current situation. dg- welcome to gym world! Keep at it, we can compare elliptical notes. anachrotech- why the string of not so good runs? What's going on? deez4boyz- I was wondering how you and your butt were holding up this weekend. I see it was not so good. Sad A sport massage is probably a great idea, please make sure you get to do it. Hang in there, and feel better. Mr. Tetsujin- from the team Amy thread. You are really quite the gentleman and thoughtful person such as I've rarely, if ever, met. Well, you haven't met me yet, so hold your assesment of me till then. I'm sure there are more than a few people who have met me that would totally disagree with your statement. Mile 5 for Amy it is then, thank you again for your note to her. Of course she wouldn't mind walking! In fact, that's most likely what I'll be doing out there. Any tips from you, the master, would be appreciated. Smile Tammy- looking for an update from you as to how you're doing. Your blog is a couple of days behind. I too was wondering about Craneium and Soundrunner. Got out for a hike with the pooch late yesterday, I needed to do something. There is a nice preserve nearby called Fort Corchaug with trails that go through an old indian fort from the 1600's. Some of the structures still remain, and there are awesome views of the surrounding water and vineyards. Lot's of wildlife too. A really nice walk, unfortunately my ankle did not think so, but I didn't care. Hit the gym for more elliptical stuff this AM, as well as the proprioceptive stuff and stretching. Holly, I used your idea of putting paper towels in the footpods. Thanks! I have a theory as to the cause of my ankle woes, and am gonna make a doctor appointment to get that theory checked out. I'm thinking there may be a cyst in there. Thank you again to everyone for all the incredible, generous, heartfelt support for both Amy and her family, and myself. I owe you all a huge debt of gratitude. Why can't I get the thought of ice cream out of my head today? Smile
      Mariposai

I think Soundie went on vacation with one of her kids last week. I miss her too. I also miss Cranium. tselb, you are so cool. Thanks with your nice comments btb, thank you for the short report you do daily on all the runners. It sure helps me and others so much to catch up with what is going on. You are a God sent to this forum. How are you doing? jlynne, nice job of the intervals today. CNYrunner, I printed your posting today and hang it by the mirror. I like that "letting the race come to you part". Great job during your training. You are ready for Boston!!! SueT48 nice long distance miles you are running...are you preparing for an ultra?. Lovely crispy Monday morning around here. It is too bad this is XT day and is taper week for me since I just want to go out and enjoy the "gift". Speaking of running, my three mile route last night was up my nemesis hill (1009ft elevation in a short and sweet 3/4 of a mile). I normally have to stop two or three time before I can get to the top, but last night I ran up that baby like it was a flat course with a smile in my face. It felt so good the first time up that I decided to go back down and do it all over again. I think I finally conquered this hill.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Teresadfp

One day at a time

My last run in Maine for awhile - 5 miles with my running partner. 30 degrees and sunny - nice! I MADE myself go slowly - 10:48 pace. I've run 11 out of the last 12 days, so it will be good to take a break for a day or two. Now I have to start steeling myself for the Texas heat and food! I'd better wear SPF 100! My packing list is mostly running stuff now. Very different from a couple of years ago. Enjoy the warmer temps! We're getting there, slowly... Teresa
            More rain this morning, but the afternoon promises dryer weather and that fits into my schedule for running then anyway. The talk of ice cream certainly rates high in my area of interest. However, I am the pain who goes into Baskin Robins and after looking at all the flavors, comes out with chocolate. Even if someone talks me into trying something new, I find myself feeling like I missed an opportunity to have chocolate. I get invited each year to enter a NCAA brackets pool for both the men and women's tournaments. The participants are all sports media buffs coming from local newspapers, television, and radio careers. While I am not as tightly involved in following sports as they are (career for them and hobby/volunteer for me), they still politely include me. All of them are younger and feel like they are experts and in the "know" about everything in sports. Well, I won the college football pool to their (and my) amazement. Now we are down to the finals in the and women's basketball tournament and I am either going to win the pool or come in second, depending upon the outcome of Stanford in the women's division. We also have had a running golf tournament of "skins" play that they take very seriously. My golf game is NOT something I would ever want to take seriously or I would be in real sad shape. In any regards, because of the rules that they use which allows tied holes to be carried over, I ended up last year winning 5 of 6 of these tournaments with the same participants involved as the sports pools. In any regards while all of that is more fluke than ability, the sad part is that if it came down to physical fitness and going for a run, there is no question I would be in better shape than any of them. This is true even though they are much younger and are involved in sports, with a working atmosphere that would easily allow for them to stay in shape. I find that a sad commentary. I keep prodding them to get involved in some physical activity and even got one to buy a treadmill two years ago. It has only been used twice in the two years.......both times by me. I am excited for all of you the Boston runners. The goal of being there is now close for you. Stay disciplined during these last few days so that you can "be the best that you can be". No new injuries needed at this stage of the game. Have a great day everyone.
            Vista
              Jeanne - the half marathon sounds wonderful - I would love to run in the Packers stadium. My DH did the Sunburst marathon a couple of years ago when I was injured. The finish was on the 50 yard line of Notre Dame Stadium. I thought that was impressive as well. That ice cream doesn't sound disgusting at all - I would definitely try it. Yes, I do run so I can indulge without feeling the guilt. I had my bloodwork done this morning, and my cholesterol, triglyceride and glucose levels are stellar, so I don't the indulgences are a problem. Perch - I love Caribou caramel ice cream - how about sharing? Twocat - no, it really is "cow tracks". The ice cream barn makes their own ice creams, so I think they probably call it that to avoid copyright/logo right issues. I do like Moose Tracks as well. Actually, I don't think I've met an ice cream flavor I haven't liked........ dg - aquajogging has gotten me through more than one running injury. It can be boring, but I enjoy it in the long run. I wish I still had easy pool access - it's a great cross-training activity. btb - love your chicken, but that would have scared me witless if I ran into on the trail. Clever ploy, but you're not getting my ice cream. Fort Corchaug sounds like a great place to hike. Take care of that ankle!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

King of PhotoShop

Went out to do an easy 3 but in the first 50 meters or so I felt a small "twinge" and since this was not an important day to work out, I walked back to the car, drove to the Y and did a stretch and core workout with a few planks. Dromedary, I know that area well and have run it a few times when i worked out there. It's beautiful and unlike where I live in TX, there are plenty of hills as you well know. Teresa, it was in the 70s and sunny all weekend here in TX, but we have rain on the way now. I am sure it will be much warmer though than where you are. Mari, thank you for your kind words. I am encouraged if what I have is peroneal tendinitis, as that should heal up quicker, and I now have some exercises for it, which I started today. Spareribs
                dg.

{{{{ Denise! }}}} So far, just over 6 months. I'm not better, but am a lot better than I was. That doesn't mean that's what's in store for you!! I hope not. There were complications. I wish I could go back & do a few things over. I would have treated it much more aggressively at first. (aggressive resting) Tough with working, I know. Are getting any time off after 3 12 hr. days? or, could you? And more frequent icing, but there are variables in that area that I don't know enough about. http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/hamstring-rehab.html-- that's for hamstrings, but is an example. Do you have access to a good sports medicine doctor? I wish I'd gotten a better diagnosis, maybe even an MRI, along with better oversight. my 2nd PT was good, but she wasn't sure how much was hammie, pirif. or s/i.... so that muddied the treatment. Then, treating one aspect can hurt another one. I'm so sorry you're miserable. Anachrotec, hard to call it sometimes, isn't it. Hi Gordon. I've been missing/wondering about Soundie too. wow, Steve. 7 deer. I have't caught up on the weekend yet. Twocat, how was your run? I also am having mysterious thoughts of ice cream, as I eat my grapefruit.... btb, I thought about you as I looked at my footpads this morning. they had holes. Yes good luck with your ankle appt. thanks Holly. Big grin Sue, any tips for a beginner? SR, speaking of diagnosis issues... good luck with your new one. Vista, I used to be like that with mint chocolate chip.

Marathon Maniac #957

The talk of ice cream certainly rates high in my area of interest. However, I am the pain who goes into Baskin Robins and after looking at all the flavors, comes out with chocolate. Even if someone talks me into trying something new, I find myself feeling like I missed an opportunity to have chocolate.
                    That's why they make double-dips, so you can have your favorite, and still try something new. Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

This thread makes me reiterate: Emack & Bolio's--ice cream shop on Newbury, very close to Mass Ave, in Boston. Y'all who are running Boston have to go there, perhaps after watching the women's trials, as it's close to Mass & Marlborough. And then figure out a way (dry ice) to send some out to the rest of the folks here. I used to dream of getting locked in Emack's (the first store was around the corner from my grad school apartment in Brookline) with my long handled silver iced tea spoon, and I got to taste every flavor. They made Kahlua Sombero, Mexican Vanilla Bean, Grasshopper Pie, etc. Here's a quote: "Emack & Bolio's is part of Boston history. Its health-conscious fare, recalls the heyday of both Boston's ice cream and music scenes in the mid-1970s." - The Boston Globe I think the healthy is relative, as in, no grwoth hormone. Here's a recent list of flavors, if you still need convincing: Vanilla Bean Speck - A triple fold Madagascan Vanilla with marinated Vanilla Beans in an egg custard base Chocolate Moose - Chocolate Liqueur, Cocoa and imported chocolate blended to make a distinct, rich chocolate ice cream Trippin' On Espresso - Deep roasted full-bodied espresso ice cream "The Original" Oreo Cookie - Invented by us in 1975. The most popular flavor of the 80s with chunks of Oreo cookie in a vanilla/Oreo base Strawberry - Strawberries, strawberries, and more strawberries Chocolate Flake - Our Vanilla ice cream with flakes of chocolate mixed in Cookie Monster - Cookie dough ice cream with chunks of Oreo cookies mixed in Grasshopper Pie - Crème de Menthe Liqueur with Oreos and chocolate flakes Caramel Moose Prints - Butterscotch ice cream, a caramel swirl and chocolate peanut buttercups blended in Heaven - Vanilla ice cream, marshmallow swirl and white chocolate chips Raspberry Truffle - Vanilla ice cream, raspberry swirl, and raspberry truffles mixed in Serious Chocolate Addiction - Our Chocolate Moose ice cream with fudge chunks and chocolate flakes mixed in Mud Pie - Java ice cream with Oreos and chocolate flakes mixed in Pistachio Nut - White pistachio ice cream with pistachio nuts Peanut Butter Cup - Chocolate ice cream with large chunks of chocolate peanut butter cups Cosmic Crunch - Vanilla ice cream, caramel swirl, chocolate chips, walnuts, and cookies White Mint Chip - White mint ice cream with chocolate flakes mixed in Deep Purple Cow - Black Raspberry ice cream with white and dark chocolate chips and blueberries Pumpkin - Pumpkin, molasses, and spices (Seasonal) Butterscotch Toasted Coconut - Butterscotch ice cream with toasted coconut mixed in Almond Joy - Coconut ice cream with almonds and chocolate flakes mixed in Myer's Rum Raisin - Myer's Rum ice cream with raisins that have been marinated in rum Banana - Bananas, bananas and more bananas Peach - Ripe summer peaches in a vanilla base Butter Pecan - Butterscotch ice cream with plump roasted pecan halves Maple Walnut - Vermont maple syrup ice cream with walnut halves Big Brown Cow - Chocolate Moose ice cream with white and dark chocolate chips Cookie Dough - Cookie dough ice cream with cookie dough mixed in grins, A
                      Masters 2000 miles
                        This Daily is just wrong to those of us stuck at work with no access to the freezer at home ... Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh my goodness Aamos...you're killing me. In addition to obsessive taper madness reading of my running journals and the constant refolding of what I'll wear in a race, I start doodling pictures of all the food items I have eliminated while my body tries to be a temple. Goodness.!....I am so grateful I am heading to the airport in about 30 minutes and won't be able to gnaw on much but the inside of my cheek. She is so right folks..Emack & Bolios is more than amazing. After you have a bowl there, head here to the Pioneer Valley and have some Barts peppermint stick with me and then we can go to the original Friendlys and then...and then.....and then Big grin

jules2

Steady 4.50 miles in 32 minutes but did manage half a mile in 3.30. Ran Friday and Sunday as well, its just so nice to be running again after nearly a month off. But I'm keeping the distances down for the time being. The weather is cold but sunny, I saw my first swallow of the year and I dropped into my allotment on the way back and got some sprouting broc and the first rhubarb. I also though I saw the 1000 mile pace bunny in the far distance and I was catching it up but I may have just been dreaming as he overtook me in late March and I haven't seen him since. Stretch, feed, a quick shower and then down the running club for the annual quiz and a few beers, life doesn't get much better. deez4boyz, if it is piriformas then what I found worked was sitting on a tennis ball putting your weight on it and rolling it around the sore area. Its just as good as a massage. Oddly enough Mrs Jules didn't find the sight of me doing this very errotic but you might have more luck. I'm rubbish at IT but theres a good shot of me and Paulo ( I'm the handsome one with the beard ) at http://www.sleepmonsters.co.uk/photoshop_window.php?ID=GBR&path=6036_5928&file=080331085336 just after we finished a two day self supporting MTB race the weekend before last also write up by Fat Smiggy at http://www.sleepmonsters.co.uk/race_article_window.php?race_id=6036&article_id=4890

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Mariposai - thanks! No ultra planned, but I have a half marathon around the first of May and a full marathon towards the end of May. My DH wants to do an ultra sometime this year, but he trains from one injury to another, so I'm not sure it will happen. Vista - I have a friend just like you. Well maybe a little worse. She peruses all of the wonderful flavors and then gets vanilla. I don't have anything against chocolate or vanilla, but I like to have something crunchy or chewy in my ice cream. dg - check out this water running program http://www.pfitzinger.com/labreports/water.shtml on the Pfitzinger site. Doing intervals and ladders keeps the water running interesting. The long runs are tough - I've done up to 4 hours in the pool - I was a little tipsy after the 4 hour ordeal. Some people tether themselves to the side and do the workout in place, but I went up and down the lane. Amy - I'm drooling all over my keyboard! Shame on you!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Happy Monday everyone! Happy runs, rests, ice cream cravings!
                                Great picture Dromi, I love Cali-Coast. I only have one. I'm lusting for a black leather one with metal ornaments (see Beowolf). You know for dressier outings than trail runing. Kilt got muddy yesterday, washed, and was still drying this AM so I had to run nekkid today. Big grin Well, shorts, shoes, and bandana. My Granny would've called it nekkid. I ran 11, I think, I don't know exacty how long it took. I rested alot, took alot of pictures. It was steep. I'm tired. Great running Beers JJJ
                                hi JJJ, for some reason I thought you had 2 kilts Smile. Yes, a leather one would be really nice for those semi-formal occasions. Cool Nekkid running 11 untimed miles sounds like a lot of fun (weren't you chilly?) Wink. I'll check out your photos later today (thanks so much for brilliant photos. you inspire me). Spareribs, glad you liked the PV cliff photo. I took it on a cell phone camera which tends to make things seem much farther away than I expected. I'd like to get a lightweight digital camera (one that would fit into the camelbak pouch). {{{btb}}} hope your ankle gets better. Ice cream! oh yeah! bring it on. I love to put potato chips in them too! (running later today...)