Masters Running

GrayDave (Read 517 times)

Hello from another Michigander! Smile I see you're snowshoeing in your avatar and just wondered if your snowshoes are the type that are more specific for running (more tapered?). I got snowshoes last xmas and have used them a handful of times, but wondered if you knew/felt there was a big difference btwn the ones meant for running vs. the everyday recreational type. I don't know if it'd even be worth it for me to consider the other ones at this point, but just curious as to what you thought.
    Dave59

I don't have enough experience to give you a wise answer. But if you are going to race seriously, the ones made for racing are better. (I got the racing type even though I don't plan to do a lot of racing.) They are a lot more tapered in the back and you can run in them better than the rounded ones, but if I went for a hike in deep snow I would be sinking in! I ran the Bigfoot Snow Shoe race in Traverse City 2 winters ago. (That's where the picture is from) Even though I am in pretty bad shape this year, I may go up there and do it again just for fun. It was a very tough course with some hills that I had to pull myself up with my hands. There were lots of different types of shoes at the Bigfoot race. Even some people with the old wooden ones. And everyone seemed to make it through great. http://www.runsnow.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

Thanks! Pulling yourself up the hills with your hands? Yipes. I don't plan on competing at all, although there's a tiny snowshoe race coming up here in Feb that I might just enter. It climbs some dunes so I might die doing it, but I'm thinking of trying. I'm hoping there will be no need to pull myself up with my hands! My husband got snowshoes last xmas too (we didn't plan it...we even bought each other the same brand and type). The times we were able to get out we absolutely loved it. I just wondered if the tapered were any easier to manuever in, as I sometimes found myself beating the sides of my legs up. I didn't know if the taper would make that big of a difference regarding the sinking factor, so good to know it does. Thanks for the information!
        Dave59

The sinking in has to do with my weight and the number of square inches of surface area on the snow shoe. I am pushing the edge of that calculation and wouldn't make it through deep snow without some weight loss or bigger shoes. It's been a while since I used my snow shoes and forgot all about hitting the inside of my ankles! That happens with the tapered ones too.

Dave, I meant to ask you...when you race, do you wear your regular running shoes with your snowshoes? Is that what most people do? And then if deeper snow, you probably wear boots?
            SteveP

I hope you do not ming me butting in. I've snow shoe raced for 6 years with both types of shoes. If you want my opinions, let me know. Dave, I was at the race you were inas well as DD#1 and her, then, fiance. I was the one in the black ribbed Batman tank top.

SteveP

I've snow shoe raced for 6 years with both types of shoes. If you want my opinions, let me know.
                Steve, that'd be great! I'd appreciate it.
                SteveP

i've run and raced in both types of shoes you've mentioned. The course Dave mentioned is wonderful and is fun for every skill level. I wear running shoes...old ones with dry shoes and socks. Dress in layers of course. In races, by the time I get through the course, it's pretty well beaten down. I did not know how well the wider shoes worked until I took FIL's dog on a run with me and we got off the main path. She wound up in deep snow and tried swimming in it. This was the only time I let her off the leash and she got behind me and followed in the tracks. Every once in a while she'd step on the back of the shoes and I'd fall forward into the fresh snow. If Masters from this forum go to a local race, I'll rent a pair and go. However, the decking on my shoes need to be replaced and I'm frugal till I start a new job. Keep your hydration close to your body if not in your jacket. If the bottle doesn't leak, keep it upside down so the top doesn't freeze. If you go way off the beaten path, take your phone and let others know where you're at. I've considered taking tinder incase I need heat....Ain't done it yet though. I've got a trail magazine with Michigan snow shoe trails on it. If you would like, I'll send it to you. Just e mail me with your address. Where is the race you talked about???

SteveP

Dave59

Dave, I meant to ask you...when you race, do you wear your regular running shoes with your snowshoes? Is that what most people do? And then if deeper snow, you probably wear boots?
                    Most people I saw wore regular running shoes. I wore some water proof trail shoes. They kept my feet dry but I got some blisters because the trail shoes were stiff and probably not designed for that activity (or not broken in enough). In the future, I am just going to use running shoes and have a dry spare pair to change into after the race. The Bigfoot race course can hardly be called a "course". What I was told is that the organizers just head out and mark as they go. The year I ran it, I doubt it was a full 5k, which was good for me because I was exhausted. Most was flat but then there were some short but very steep hills. They gave nice glasses to the first 4 or 5 in each age group which I still count as my favorite beer glass.

Where is the race you talked about???
                      Thanks for the pointers Steve. The race I was talking about is here in Muskegon at the state park: Lake Effect 10K & 5K Snowshoe Race. It's a race that my local running store (www.endurancesports.biz) sponsors...looks like a teeny one as there were 21 people last year. If I did it, it'd only be for fun...actually, I think my goal would be to not keel over and die. I might even have a shot at "winning" in my age group, as there was only 1 other female last year in that category. Big grin Thanks so much for the offer of the trail book, but fortunately, we have tons of trails around our house, so for now, we simply walk out our door. BTW, cute visual picturing your FIL's dog and you! Dave, I'm looking forward to trying my running shoes out instead of boots. We usually go in deep snow, but the trails that are packed certainly don't warrant boots. I've thought about the trail shoes, too, but my feet are so picky that I know I'd end up in the same boat you did so I'll just stick to the running shoes.