Masters Running

Lessons Learned- Winter Trail Series Race 2 RR (Read 328 times)

A much different experience in the race this time out. The first race was cold, but very little snow cover. Last night there was plenty of snow. When I registered for the series I had the option to sign up for doing it in snowshoes or no snowshoes. Since I have never used snowshoes I didn't figure now would be a good time to start. Starting time temp was 26 degrees.

Fashion Alert: I was wearing Under Armour reflective running pants, A black long sleeve shirt, My bright yellow Brooks running vest, smartwool socks, 180 gloves, nike skullcap, and adidas adizero trail shoes. Warmth was never a problem during the race.

This was the first time I have raced with people in snowshoes. The start was like a blizzard with the tails of people's snowshoes throwing up lots of snow. Lesson learned, start further back or further forward and avoid the snow wash at the start.

The course circled the outskirts of Cobbs Hill Park, essentially just snowy fields, until it turned straight up hill. Being a novice showed me that I really need to learn how to climb snowy hills better. The uphills were very difficult to get footing to maintain upward momentum. I slid back a little 3 times on that first hill. Luckily I didn't take out anyone behind me, so no dominoe effect.

Then it was back downhill, fast, slippery, but upright, before the course again turned upward. It was here that I realized I am undertrained and may have been a little dehydrated. When I got to the top of the climb I had to walk due to some hamstring cramping. When I got my hamstring to settle down I decided to just run a comfortable pace on the wooded trails.

Running through the woods taught me my final lesson. People in snowshoes have to be extra careful clearing fallen logs. A woman in front of me caught the edge of her snowshoe on one and took a tumble. I stopped to check if she was ok (after all, what would Timbo do?), when she said she was fine I was on my way again.

I finished in 36:10 (not sure of the distance). That gave me 87th out of 146 overall and 21 out of 25 AG. The next race is in two weeks and I will definitely be much better trained for my next report.

This just sounds like a lot of fun to me.  Snow blizzard and sliding on the uphills.  No hot cocoa at the end?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Tramps

180 gloves,

How do you fit so many gloves?

This sound really neat!  Thanks for sharing the lessons learned.

P.S. Timbo would have left with a phone number and a date.

Be safe. Be kind.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Timbo has the advantage of being single and I seem to remember that Craneium's wife is a runner, too.  We don't know if she boxes.

BTW, that sounded like a very interesting run, to compete against snowshoer's.  Seemed like fun, though.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

This was definitely not a normal race.  I hope you enjoyed the new experiences.  Thanks for sharing.

TomS

Slo

Definitly a new experience.

Sounds pretty cool....Having never worn snowshoes myself I would have opted not too as well.

Marathon Maniac #957

That does sound like fun.  But I think trying the snowshoes would be an interesting change (and quite a good workout).  I look forward to hearing about the next one.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Were you in yaktrax?  They'd be better than snowshoes unless the snow was deep. I used to hike in snowshoe quite a bit, but only tried a few short bursts of running, never a whole race. I do remember trying to see how many people in snowshoes would fit in a phone booth...

Sounds like a fun race!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

SteveP

I gotta tell ya Craneium, Your RRs are way too kewl. It just sounds like fun.

Rent a pair of snow shoes and give it a try!!! It's way kewl.

In a snow shoe race, some one is going to go down. When it's you, roll out of the way.

Thanks for the RR.

SteveP

Craneium's wife is a runner, too.  We don't know if she boxes.

Nice job Craneium!  Sounds like fun. 

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM