Masters Running

Sunday Jan 4 Daily (Read 418 times)

dg.

hi all. I'm behind again. I hate that! Liz, yippee. Perch & Tramps, wow. Roy, Twocat, Meg... good luck with your owies!!! Teresa, how was the recital? Holly, funny. The trail run went ok. I described it a little at the end of Thursday's daily. you kind of need to double most of what I said. BTW. I need to thank you for your diet tip of keeping around those small cans of tomato juice for a snack. Dog owners in MI like climates... what is the One Good Thing about winter? esp. early Jan.? Nirvana no more. Yesterday I let Sadie out, let her in, & headed out to bring up the empty trash things. yikes. I thought... could that be Skunk?? Not only was it, but sadie got blasted. right in her face. The rest of the evening was fun. I had 1 can of tom. juice upstairs, once i'd gracefully gotten her into the bathtub that went on, grabbed the rest & used them all. tomato juice in the bathtub is very unnverving. it was very endearing when she leaped out of the tub & shook. ok, i'll stop now. poor thing, she really was pretty good. she was shivering. foaming at the mouth. I ran outside today, but waited till about noon because of TomS's ice forecast. We did get some. It was the best day for running we've had here in a while! I had piriformis pain to start & almost took the day off per SR's good example, but honestly I got so sidetracked by the freezing rain that I forgot about it.. I got there & the paths were clear so I started & then remembered that I hurt. But it was ok. 11.11 miles (Smile ), ave. pace 10:00, max 8:03. not zippy but probably was smart. HR was zero, (take that bill & maine) but that meant i didn't burn any calories. the miles were pretty even for the most part.. 11:04, 10:06, 9:58, 9:47, 9:56, 9:46, 9:37, 10:04 (oops) 9:53, 9:44, 9:25. sorry this is so long & rambling!
    Teresadfp

One day at a time

dg - thanks for asking about the recital! It went very well. We were able to clean up everything so it looked OK, if you could overlook the missing kitchen appliances and cabinets! DD10 did a good job, and even played a piece she'd made up herself. When asked, she said the piece didn't have a title, so DH said, "What about 'My Cool Dad'?" It's always fun embarrassing your children, lol. The kids seemed to have a good time. The oldest girl, 15, was definitely flirting with DS16, and he was eating it up! He doesn't have much of a social life, so that was fun to see. Now DH is knocking out the last remnants of the kitchen. Supper will be "interesting." Shocked
      Mariposai

the forester and I went to the Highlands for Xcountry skiing this afternoon. Cloudy weather, but the snow was to die for. Can you all stand yet another series of snow pictures?... we took a more difficult trail and it was very challenging with its ups and downs. we like to pick huckleberries here in the summer my quads were screaming at me at this point.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

nice pics, nancy 11 miles for me; including pacing my son for his first 5K (for DS1)-just jogging to finish a 'good cause' race remembering a local police officer who lost his life in the line of duty about 10 yrs ago- (I can't believe it's been that long-wow)
          dg.

Teresa, your DH is funny. he sounds a lot like my dad. you're right.. it is one of the joys of parenthood. Wink Nancy, those are great. Hi Dale! so cool your DS1 ran his first 5K. was he excited? is he happy about it?
            munchkn883

Was planning an afternoon walk, but my lower back had other plans. Hard to get out of bed this morning...thank goodness MrMunch could get me some drugs. Did get up and go to church. Am finding in this situation taking my "tushy cushy" along to sit on is a good idea! As of now I'm planning to walk tomorrow evening.

Renee the dog

crawling onto the thread to say -- thank goodness the holiday get-togethers are finally over... I barely walked from my car to the house after driving home from our visit with my sister and her family. Spent. Fried. Gone. Had a blast over the last several weeks. Couldn't have taken 1 day more though. Now back to my regularly scheduled healthy lifestyle. hic

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

crawling onto the thread to say -- thank goodness the holiday get-togethers are finally over... I barely walked from my car to the house after driving home from our visit with my sister and her family. Spent. Fried. Gone. Had a blast over the last several weeks. Couldn't have taken 1 day more though. Now back to my regularly scheduled healthy lifestyle. hic
                  I so totally agree!!

denise

TammyinGP

Great pics Mari!! I haven't cross country skiied in so long and those pics just make me miss it more! Went out for a short run this afternoon. Only 2.6 miles (ha! At first I forgot the decimal when I typed that and re-read it and it said 26 miles! Wouldn't that be something !LOL) . . . okay, 2.6 miles plus some hills, then did leg and core work when I got home. Watched the Vikings lose Cry None of my runs this week were long, but at I'm glad that I got out there and ran 5 days. Total weekly mileage was only 16.1 though. After not running much in December and most weeks only running 2 days a week, I'm happy to have some more consistent running in. Back to the work and school routine tomorrow! yay!

Tammy

King of PhotoShop

Mariposai, screaming quads? I assume you mean you had a great X-training workout. Perch, hear that? Stengthen the quads, then stretch them out, just a few minutes, not X-country skiing. Arthur Lydiard said that running was the second hardest of all aerobic exercises, AFTER X-country skiing. Good for you Nancy; that was a great X-training exercise and sounds like very enjoyable too. Nice pictures. dg, I am not clear about your 11-miler. You were in pain when you started? And then it went away? What is your plan for tomorrow? Spareribs
                      dg.

Ribs, thanks for asking. I was in pain when I started. Not the worst I've ever had.. but would have to call it pain. It didn't go away. Blush My plan for tomorrow was a 2.5 mile recovery run, then 30 min. on the elliptical. What do you think? mta, I just got done stretching & using a foam roller, & am about to ice.
                        evanflein

It's been years since I've gone xc skiing... Have no reason other than I let other things get in the way. Nice photos, Mariposai! Deb, 11.11 miles? Wow...how's the pf? I go back to work tomorrow, but just for the day and I might leave early. Need to take the dog to my sister-in-law for dog-sitting while we're gone. Twocat, the reason I'll be running in shorts this week is because we'll be in Florida!! Gotta pack tonight, got stuff to take all over the bed. 10.3 miles for me today, half outside in -18F, half inside on the treadmill, about 8:50 pace average. I walked a few steps on the hills. It just felt so hard to breathe in the cold and through my facemask. I'm really wishing for some of that mid-teens to mid-twenties temps some of you guys are reporting.
                          dg.

thanks Erika. it's flaring up again a little. It was doing a lot better for a few weeks...then I increased the last couple of weeks & did that trail run which was new. who knows. Undecided. thanks for asking. When do you leave? How is your foot? did you ever taper? Wink I'm so glad you get to go where it's warm. mta. -18???? have you ever seen those things that warm up the air for you? not a fashion statement, but who cares? DD just sent a text message with pictures of her newly cleaned & organized apartment. it said "look ma, no piles of paper". in the background played "Ode to Joy". Smile
                            evanflein

We leave tomorrow evening, overnight in Anchorage, leave there at 7:30 a.m., get into Orlando around 9:30 p.m. (and 4 hour time change). No running for me the next couple of days. Taper is short for me, which is preferred... 44 miles this week, and next week won't have much running (nothing Monday/Tuesday due to prep and travel) other than some getting used to the climate in FL. I have 4 full days to get used to the time/temps which is more than I usually give myself! Foot is pretty good. Amazing how I've finally figured out how to manage it after fighting it for so long...
                              Mariposai

Mariposai, screaming quads? I assume you mean you had a great X-training workout. Spareribs
                                yes!!!!!!!!!!!!! Xcountry skiing is the greatest X-training a runner could ever dream off. Yes!!!!!!!! the quads were scfreaming as I came up that darn hill...have you ever tried to go up hill on a pair of skiis??? it is work man, HR was probably up over 170...but how much fun. As a long distance runner I am beginning to value the help I get from X country opposed to my fave of all...downhill and snowboarding... Here is to a safe new week it is snowing right now...and TRamp it is only 10pm here...so I will go to sleep and wake up early to go to play in the fresh fallen snow... now........if I had a runner near by... I would go right now......... but......... it is not safe for a young girl to be running out there this late at night...... right Tramps? Is tobias OK???????

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard