Masters Running

Lightweight training shoes (Read 537 times)

Wondering if anyone has a recommendation for some lightweight trainers.  Right now I am running in Asics Nimbus, which is just too much shoe for me.  I also have the Saucony Kinvaras in rotation and love them but feel like I need a bit more shoe for longer/slower runs.  I liked the Saucony Ride but am looking for something sort of in between the Ride and the Kinvara.  After some research, it looked like maybe the Brooks Launch was a possibility or the Adizero Boston.  Also on my list are Nike Lunar Glide and Lunar Elite. I have run in the Mizuno Precision before also.  Anyone have any recommendations or experience with any of these shoes?  I'm a pretty light (115 lb) female runner, neutral midfoot striker, pretty efficient.  I dont' want anything with motion control and am looking for something with a pretty low heel to midfoot drop.  Thanks in advance for any recommendations.  I plan to actually try all these on before I buy.

Once a runner . . .

I love the Adizero Bostons (and they are bright red!) and rotate them with a pair of Nike Lunar Fly sneakers and Addidas Supernova glides for training runs. They are all in the 7.5 to 8.5 ounce range. I am 100lbs and pretty efficient when it comes to form, so I didn't want whistles and bells. The Adizero shoe is my favorite.

Hope that helps!

MTA: I had NIKE Lunar glides and loved them, but they aren't as durable for the $. The uppers fell apart too quickly. The newer versions might be better.

C-R

I really love my Saucony Fastwitch 3 and 4s. Good trainer. They also seem to hold up pretty well. I've managed 700+ on my 3s and figure they are good for an even 1000. They 4s are wearing equally well.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Thanks Karin and C-R.  I will add the Fastwitch to my list.  I'm a Saucony fan so those may be the ticket.  Liking the look of the Boston as well.

Thanks for the heads up on the Lunar Glide Karin.  I definitely want something that will hang in there through at least 600 miles so I don't need an upper falling apart on me.  I might buy them if I can find them cheaper on line somewhere.   Not sure about bright red - I prefer lower key colors - but I don't really care too much about the color. 

Once a runner . . .

I think the Brooks Launch are a bit too cushiony, but you might like it.  My favorite shoes right now are the Asics Speedstars which should fit pretty much like the Nimbus/Cumulus and ran my first marathon in them without any issues.

I like the Launch and also Nike Free Run and Nike Lunarfly. 

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Prince of Fatness

If ASICS seem to fit you well you may want to look at the Speedstar.  I used to run in Nimbus / Cumulus and going to the Speedstar worked out well for me.

Not at it at all. 

an amazing likeness

Like Darth Tater, I also switch back and forth between the ASICS Nimbus and Speedstar, depending on what I'm looking for the shoe that day.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

10k in 1975

Wondering if anyone has a recommendation for some lightweight trainers. 

I dont' want anything with motion control and am looking for something with a pretty low heel to midfoot drop.

I just get any shoes that fit well and have a reasonable price.  Right now I have more than 9 pair of shoes that I alternate, which are reasonably light weight, and which cost from $10 to $20 a pair. 

I use a $40 grinder from harbor freight to grind off all flares immediately, and any outsole that is lower under the arch than the rest of the shoes, so the middle of the soles are not any lower than the backs of the heels or the balls of the feet.  This helps to reduce any excessive heel lift in the backs.  A good test is put place the shoes together sole to sole. 

Then the shoes are much more comfortable, are easier to run in, are easier on the legs, and there is less chance of tripping on any obstacle.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Nike Free Runs.............no other shoe like them for what you asked - really

1000 miles on these puppies ..............and more left Smile

Really, they are a great shoe for what you're asking for

CIMG0122 1000 miles and counting (grins) TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

coastwalker

You may want to take a look at the Mizuno Musha. They are a middle-distance racing flat with a low heel, very good flexibility, and just enough cushioning for a comfortable ride. I like them a lot as a racewalking shoe, but they are designed for runners. My 2nd choice is Asics Hyperspeed, but they don't hold up as well as the Musha.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks everyone!  I do have the Speedstars on my list and will add Lunarfly and Free Run too.  If I can find the Mizunos, I will give them a try too.  Promise to report back on what I wound up with.  Don't think I will get to the store until later in the week, maybe Friday.

Once a runner . . .