Masters Running

Faster Pace? (Read 441 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Hi Tina, welcome to the Masters Club here at RA......I am the forum idiot (grins) Really, this is a really great bunch of running folk who care about each other a lot....really. In regards to your speed question.....you have to get out of your comfort zone once or twice a week, and pick the pace up and go for like 9:00 pace. Like Holly said.....run pole to pole, mailbox to mailbox quicker than you normally would. I would suggest very short strides and a quick turn over rate. You know what Tina.....you are doing great no matter what your pace is. Hey, here at RA just look for the daily, and just simply say what you ran for the day.....everyone will be thrilled for you. Then you can venture out to the other threads and just do or say what you want. Again welcome.....and post something about you, K-----TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Run the race God set B4U

Thank you Timbo...I feel welcome already  Smile  I do understand I need to basically run more before working on my speed.  I have realized I don't have a natural 8 mm pace like my running partner does, and it's something that takes more than a "magic answer"....so I'm working on mileage for now and training per the HM schedule.  Thanks!!!!!!  Looking forward to getting to know all of you!!!!
      5K's (11), Half Marathon (1), Relay Marathon (1), 15K's (2)

Queen of 3rd Place

Tina - +100000000000000 on the run more suggestions!!  I tried speedwork and got injured. Running more and mostly doing it slowly has been the trick - good luck and don't forget to have fun!

Ex runner

Hi Tina!

Only one thing I would add- it is always nice to see you are making progress.

I did this by running a mile as fast as I could and recording the time as a baseline.

Several moths later I ran again, same stretch of road, and timed that run.

I found this motivated me to keep working at improving; may not work for everyone but it motivated me.

Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Run the race God set B4U

Thanks Simon!  I saw this somewhere, they called it the "Magic Mile", timing yourself, putting in milegae and come back and time the mile again.  I think I will do that too, I could do that on my off days.  So far I am running 4 days/week.  My mileage is 3.1-5 miles each time until the mileage increases on the weekend per the HM training schedule, thanks for the tip though  Smile
            5K's (11), Half Marathon (1), Relay Marathon (1), 15K's (2)

Marathon Maniac #957

Tina - be sure to warm up well before you run any fast paces.  Like Arlahile said, you can get injured doing speedwork if you're not careful.  Jog slowly at least 10 minutes before you begin.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Hey Tina, nothing to add on getting faster.  Just wanted to join in the welcome! 

Post often.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM