Masters Running

Weighty matters goal thread (Aug 6) (Read 369 times)

Tramps

It sort of blew my mind when I realized that you don't burn a lot of calories in running.  But consistent exercise ALONG with a smart eating plan will help get the weight off. 

Yup.  I don't pay much attention to nutrition specifics but one thing that did stick with me is the idea that you burn roughly 100 calories for each mile of running, regardless of pace.  "Calories" is an abstract notion but that made things very concrete for me.  That little "snack" suddenly becomes two or three miles of running.  Is it really worth it?

The other practical tip that stuck with me is that when eating protein--fish, meat--you only need a portion about the size of a deck of cards.  Of course, that's way smaller than what most restaurants serve and what people are accustomed to eating.  Suddenly those steaks I used to have in one sitting are now two meals.

I guess I'm just simple-minded; I need concrete references for nutrition stuff to make sense to me.

Be safe. Be kind.

Renee the dog

Uh oh.  It's an A/C conspiracy!

Well more like a surrendering.   When I hit the point where I turn on the A/C, I go into hibernation mode, complete with "bulking up." 

Perhaps it also has to do with the fact that I get edgy when I'm closed off from the outdoor living spaces (my sister's observation of me in my house with the A/C on) and the fact that since I'm hibernating, I do less -- don't pop outdoors to weed for 15-20 min...don't take a kids for a short walk...don't play horse shoes out back...etc. etc. etc.  And to take the edge off, I eat and drink more...

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!