Masters Running

Happy TGIF Master Run and Workouts (Read 441 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Ribs, in theory what you said does indeed make sense. And I do remember last year running many 20 milers with hardly no fuel / supplements at all....some good - some horribly bad. And remember the progression from adding more miles, and consequently the next long run at the same distance was in fact easier. So now I am at the point, that it would not make any sense to go back to my "not" using supplements, since I am at the time where my 20 milers will have a lot of speed and tempo work within them (and will need proper fuel and hydration, especially with it getting warmer out) Interesting, because prior runners "back in the day" didn't have many of the things we have - Gels - E Caps - Garmins, HRM, Downloading info, and such....and they did well without these things. OK, back to work on this very busy Friday....doing my part for GM Smile TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

lamerunner

PS I am embarassed to ask, but what is an S cap. I have never tried them.
      Tramps

I haven't either, but I thought they were electrolyte replacement pills, typically used when you're drinking only water. I use Endurolytes sometimes, which do the same thing, allowing me to avoid sports drinks that don't sit well in my stomach. ETA: I googled them: www.succeedscaps.com/main_scaps.html

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Oops, Tramps beat me Smile http://www.succeedscaps.com/main_scaps.html Reminds me, I need to order some more.

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

xor

I haven't either, but I thought they were electrolyte replacement pills, typically used when you're drinking only water. I use Endurolytes sometimes, which do the same thing, allowing me to avoid sports drinks that don't sit well in my stomach. ETA: I googled them: www.succeedscaps.com/main_scaps.html
            Just beware if you suddenly switch from endurolytes to s-caps, because the magic mixes are vewwy vewwy different. 1 s-cap has 341 mg sodium, 21 mg potassium. That's it. 1 endurolyte has 40 mg sodium (plus another 40 mg chloride), 25 mg potassium, 25 mg magnesium, and some other stuff. Edited to highlight: yes, 341 vs 40.

Marathon Maniac #957

Stevie Ray - what do you use in marathons?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

Edited to highlight: yes, 341 vs 40.
                Yeah, I'd heard s-caps cause some people stomach distress as a result. I bought Endurolytes and haven't finished my first bottle yet. I will need more before the summer is over, though. Any thoughts on pros and cons of either product? The obvious question is: so how much sodium does a runner need on a hot day? I don't have a clue.

Be safe. Be kind.

King of PhotoShop

Just owning up here that I had no idea that S caps were EL replacement tablets. I thought they were like sports beans. Sorry. Helpful post by srl on the big differences though. Tim, I agree with your comment. You are no longer slogging through 20 milers slow. You are doing longer performance runs. Chow away. Spareribs
                    Actually I do not have much else to say with regard to the issue of training with or without fuel. Absent any published research on the issue I can just guess as to what training regime will work best. What Spareribs says makes sense. But, in my view, so do the arguments on the other side. What to suggest until then? Listen to the various opinions and reasons behind them and then go with yours. Not much of a suggestion since everybody here will undoubtedly do that no matter what! Wink

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

xor

Stevie Ray - what do you use in marathons?
                      Regular non-trail, not-extemely-hot-n-humid marathons, I: 1. Drink when I am thirsty. If I'm not thirsty when I hit an aid station, I skip it. Assuming the stations are 1-3 miles apart. If there's a bigger gap (or trail, or extremely hot-n-humid), I'll drink at each aid station. 2. Drink whatever sportsdrink they have. If they've mixed it too 'thick', I'll grab a cup of water with the cup of sportsdrink, and drink some of each. If it is an ultima race, I'll complain loudly. 3. I carry 4 gels with me. I always eat 2. The other 2 are 'insurance' that I'll only eat if I get in trouble or... well... my brain just decides it would appreciate something to eat. I will eat the first one somewhere between M10 and M12. The second at M14 to M16. If I choose to eat the 3rd, that's somewhere around M20-22. Whenever I eat a gel, I just drink water with it.... no sportsdrink. Keep in mind that if you are talking about sportsdrink with calories (not ultima), then gel+water isn't that different from sportsdrink as far as your stomach is concerned. I eat the gels for variety. I only mess with electrolyte capsules in ultras, trail marathons that might take me 5+ hours, and races in the 90s. For regular road marathons, my body plus sportsdrink plus gels have what I need.

I walked for just slighly over an hour today and felt pretty normal. Progress.. Smile I think this debate is kind of interesting. Maybe when I start back running, I should try the less is more approach. I definitely remember getting lightheaded and tunnel vision when I hit 10 miles without anything, and have since started taking something if I am going to go over 8 miles. Does it come down to "how uncomfortable do you want to feel?". I think someone already mentioned that if you do a three hour long run on just water and electrolytes....sure it is possible, sure you may have some bad patches, near bonks, then recover at a slower pace....but how will it affect you the next day? Will you be fatigued all day and catch a cold? Or will it eventually make you a stronger runner??

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

xor

Yeah, I'd heard s-caps cause some people stomach distress as a result. I bought Endurolytes and haven't finished my first bottle yet. I will need more before the summer is over, though. Any thoughts on pros and cons of either product? The obvious question is: so how much sodium does a runner need on a hot day? I don't have a clue.
                          I use endurolytes... the s-caps make me feel yucky. BUT some folks swear by s-caps. I could probably get used to them if I trained with them, but I rarely run in conditions where I need to supplement this. s-caps are cheaper. $10.50 per 100. Endurolytes are $17.50 per 120. How much sodium does a runner need on a hot day? Trick question. Every body (literally, every BODY) is different. Different sweat rates, etc.

TammyinGP

13.7 miles this a.m. one garmin one gu a few sport beans 15 oz water.

Tammy

Mariposai

Srlopez's posting helped me clarify some questions I have about Endurolytes and S-caps. Thanks a bunch. look at that tammy, spitting out those half marathon distances like they are nothing. Wow sistahh your training is coming along so well. Smile

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Top 'O the World!

I knew nothing about endurolytes...S-caps are common here in CO... 13 of the 800 Chrysler dealerships on the chopping block are here!..... & now GM says it's cutting 1100 nationwide!! DH's (Honda) isn't one of them! TG! What a mess! Nice format Tammy! can I use that? 5.04 hilly miles this am 52*F/24% H 1 Garmin 1 Dog 1 ipod 1 neighbor chat stop 247 bunnies! Big grin
                                Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group