Masters Running

Tallrunner Update - Sacral Stress Fracture? (Read 389 times)

Sorry for being awol I have been a bit out of sorts or in denial about my injury. Had ART, Chiropractor visits, massages, even raced some (painfully)

I believe I have a sacral stress fracture. As some of you know for months now I have had pain that was dispersed from my groin, my butt and would sometimes radiate down my leg was not diagnosed until now. Experts said it was sciatica, muscle imbalances, back problems, etc...  All of them are commonly thought of when someone has a sacral stress fracture. Here is a description in case you find yourself in that situation. For those that are interested I posted some parts of a study below:

I go for special exams on Thursday so that tumors and other diseases can be 'hopefully" put to rest. It looks like I will have 6-8 weeks of no weight bearing actitivity...a perfect time to ready my body for an early switch to decathlons. I will still run and race put probably not as fast but I will have to be called "big and tallrunner soon.

Take care

Tall

Sacral stress fracture in athletes, particularly long-distance runners, is

rare [6,7,8,9,10]. Because our four patients were initially diagnosed with

disk disease, we contend that sacral stress fracture is underdiagnosed.

All four patients in our series presented with low back and vague buttock

pain. However, patients can also present with sacral pain radiating into the

buttock. Pain may also be felt in the groin and occasionally down the leg.

The differential diagnosis at the time of presentation may include disk

disease, spinal stenosis, tumors (especially in older patients), and

musculotendinous strain. Physical examination may not provide reliable signs

initially because many of these patients have diffuse low back, sacral, and

buttock pain. Most patients have localized tenderness over the sacrum and

sacroiliac joint. A workup begins with radiography, which is helpful in

excluding tumors, but stress fractures may not be identified because of

overlying bowel gas and the geometry of the sacrum. Because the fractures

tend not to produce callus, they are more difficult to visualize.

Recent Best times: None recently

Oh no Tall, I am so sorry but glad you are getting it checked out thoroughly. We all understand the denial and the out of sorts/crankiness that goes with an injury. It feels endless, but you'll get through this. You are strong (just don't try and be too tough).

Good luck to you

Yikes, that stinks tall!!  T&P that there are no tumors or such.

Be careful over the next few weeks especially, you'll need to think about what you eat and how much as your caloric need goes down.  You still need good nutrients though to help the healing, just not as many calories.  No screen eating, that's an order

seriously, best wishes for a speedy recovery

rs

Troy Strawberry Festival 10k - 6/7/09 - Goal 46:xx -->46:18!!; Americana 5k - 7/4/09 - Goal 21:xx-->21:12!!; Brookville 5 miler - 7/25/09 - Goal-->34:xx-->36:21; Crim 10 Miler - 8/22/09 - Goal sub-1:15-->1:14:14!!; Alter 5k - 9/5/09 - Goal 20:xx-->20:32; AF Marathon - 9/19/09 - Goal sub-3:38 (PR)--> 3:41 (BQ)

Maniac 505

Drat:

I have had a few SF's,  but not that one.  they sux, but with most of them, or so I have been told,  they heal stronger than origional.  hope this is the case and you can come back strong.

and do you take calcium (tums) and vitiamin D?  I figure it probably doesn't help,  but it probably can't hurt.

Good luck

Dave

SteveP

I hope you heal fast and strong Tall. You've been missed

SteveP

I'm sorry to hear about this development, Tall.  Take care of yourself and heal as quickly as possible.  Keep us posted.

TomS

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Tall. SF is better than muscle/nerve issues. The SF's heal fast.  Look at rbbmoose who has had dozens of SF's and is still one of our fastest. Heal up and you'll be fine!  Sometimes our bodies force us to go idle because runners are typically a stubborn lot.  Good luck!

Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #957

Tall - you have been missed.  I'm so glad you let us know what's happening with you, but sorry you are going through this.  However, like several have said already, this will heal quickly and you can come back stronger than ever in August.  The hardest part will be eating less, because you are such an outstanding cook!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

#artbydmcbride

"I believe I have a sacral stress fracture."

So you really don't have an official diagnosis.  Can't they tell with an X-ray?

You can't decide you have this based on a description that you've read.   

My money is still on sciatica.    

Runners run

"I believe I have a sacral stress fracture."

So you really don't have an official diagnosis.  Can't they tell with an X-ray?

You can't decide you have this based on a description that you've read.   

My money is still on sciatica.    

Ilene, I wish it was sciatica but I have had every treatment under the sun and if I really think back and let myself be honest with myself I knew it was a bone issue months ago as the pain was so much different than I have ever felt. I should know more on Thursday and then X-rays and possibly a Cat-Scan and other stuff. This guy will be thorough as I will in finding out what it is. Will keep eveyrone posted.

Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

evanflein

Well, Tall, I hope it's not a stress fracture. I just don't think you're a likely candidate. I'm with Ilene on this one. I think it's Sciatica. That's what I have, and there's no way in hell I ever would've thought my symptoms were from the degenerative disk condition I have. An X-ray will tell a lot, an MRI might even tell more. A bone scan would confirm a SFX 100%. I hope you let us know...