Masters Running

and now SunnySunday........ (Read 43 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Where is my IPhone camera when I need it?  Just kidding Tom - glad you didn't get hurt.

Me, too!

Erika – talk about a grueling travel day!

You all know I have had foot pain that has had me limping since Sunday. Not being particularly smart, I chose to run the marathon today regardless. However, I did some internet research and taped up my ankle this morning with kinesio tape using the method described for peroneal pain. I have to admit, I have been skeptical about the benefits of taping, but I was surprised to find that my foot felt quite a bit better once I had done so. That, and 3 ibuprophen got me through the race with minimal discomfort. (At least in the foot – by the end of 26.2 miles almost everything else still hurt.)

I chose to run the race with my two friends, Renee and Tara. Tara’s marathon PR was 5:10, so I figured they would be going at a reasonable pace that I might be able to keep up with. And also, I hoped they would inspire me to keep on, and not give up. And they did. This is a relatively lonely race, out among the cornfields, and I would probably have walked a lot more if they were not encouraging me to continue. On top of that, when it became apparently that Tara might be close to breaking her PR, well, I was not going to be the one that slowed her down and kept her from it. So, we crossed the line at roughly 5:04 – a 6-minute PR for Tara!  A lovely sunny, if windy, day, best of all being able to share the day with friends. 

Now, I am showered, fed, and working on a cold beer, and, at least for now, my foot doesn’t feel any worse than it did yesterday.

An exciting moment from the race: At around mile 17, we were privileged to see the Boston Marathon One Run Relay runners go by, one with the baton (we knew her!) and one carrying the American Flag. We stopped and gave Nettie (holding the baton) hugs and high fives to the man holding the flag. I was wearing my Boston 2010 shirt, and, well, it was just very moving for me to be there to see them go by.

Marathon #25 on the books, not a speedy one, but at least I finished...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

geez, erika, it only takes nine hours to fly to Japan. .

At least they speak English where you are.

At least they say it's English.  I've needed a translator at times. 

Welcome back, Tramps.  Sorry to hear you've been gone on the DL--I thought you were just busy in the new gig.

Nice marathon Holly, glad your foot and pacing worked out.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

C-R

Hey all. Had a glorious trail run with DS this morning at McDowell park in Scottsdale. Oh my was that fun. Going back for the 8 mile trail tomorrow.

Sorry Tramps. Wondered what was happening from log stalking. One step at a time.

WTG Holly! You're a tough one and a good running friend to your two pals.

TW - I think you're bike is possessed and I would recommend an exorcism

Off to a Mexican place tonight. I can't believe all the food I've eaten in the past two days. Ugh.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

TW - I think you're bike is possessed and I would recommend an exorcism

...ok, finally TheVoiceOfReason...........

erika//......I didn't like running in Memphis either,,,,,,,,,just has an Edgy Feel to it......

once

we actually

checked into a downtown hotel there WHILE it was on fire.........it turned out to be one of our Better Visits......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

wildchild

Carolyn

TW - never a dull moment with you around!   I saw some Canada geese on my run today and thought of you!

Congrats to Holly and pfriese on greta marathons today!   And congrats to Holly's friends Renee and Tara.  Glad you guys ran together!

Tramps, bummer about the foot injury.  Glad to see you back here.  Still enjoying the new job?

Norm, why  would you say ugh about eating lots of good food on vacation?   Sounds mahvelous!

dg, I love the bubble wrap boy!  That looks better than duct tape when you're injured!  Hope you're feeling better and  better every day.

We have a foot of snow on the ground, and my road is a snowy, slushy, muddy mess.  I'm grateful that I can drive 45 minutes down to the flatlands, and it's a different season!  In town, it was 52° today and the trails were dry, so I went down and ran 18 miles in Bear Creek Lake Park.   I decided to take kind of a cut-back week since I ran a 50k last weekend.  I'm trying to come up with sort of a training plan, even though I never use training plans, because I'm training for a paved, sea level, flat marathon in May and a high altitude trail 50 miler in June.   Any suggestions or advice?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

usandtoto-2@msn.com

Nice racing and training runs out there.. [[[[[healing vibs]]]]]]] to those not feeling100%

Talk about long flights, I left Seattle Saturday morning at 9:50 and finally arrived at my hotel in Yokosuka, Japan at 10 pm Sunday night (16 hours of time zone changes).  After unpacking, which was just taking my toothbrush out and standing my suitcase upright, I decided to go for a run. Yes, the rooms are that small.  Nowhere  to put anything.  Back to running, after 75 minutes, I decided it was time to head back.  Finished with 17.5 miles (8:26 pace) at 1:15 am. Monday morning.

Marathon Maniac #530 Mike (My Indian name is "Runs for Beer")