Masters Running

A tale of two endings…a race report (Read 443 times)

You are amazing Maraposai and so gracious as you reflect on the whole experience. Congratulations for running a half-marahon PR by many minutes in the midst of this marathon. I feel sure that the Race Director will be hearing aplenty from many cranky runners. That your perspective is so supportive speaks volumes about who you are. Two endings for sure and we all know you ran an excellent marathon.

On to the revenge marathon as Econo said...!

Maniac 505

Mari:

How weird.  as others have said, you finished with rare grace.  And it sounds like you did GRETA on a hot day.  It sounds like this is a race that Rock and Roll could pick up.

Was this course certified and a Boston qualifier?  are they using finishing times at the first finish for official results?  I'm just wondering how the race director handles this kind of stuff.

Congrats on your two finishes (maybe you can count it as two races?)  Sorry you won't be in Newport.

Dave

Every Mile is a Gift

I ran that same race (and was just as confused). Sent you a message, Maraposai. Great job out there on a hot day!

Here was my report:

http://resurrectedrunner.blogspot.com/2010/05/windermere-marathon-race-report.html

Often injured, NEVER giving up.

SteveP

Holy Moly Posai!!!

I'm very glad you had gas in the tank for the final finish!!!!!

Your races are a delight

SteveP

Mariposai, only you would be gracious enough not to go on a rant about an event that had this kind of mistake in the course. But you handled it all well and I'm sure you'll make up for it when you run your next "real" 26.2.

Congratulations on another completed marathon!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Kimmie

Wow,  what a huge bummer !!   I echo what everyone else here has said.  You've shown that you have a wonderful perspective.

Back when I was running 5Ks and not marathons, I ran one where the finish was completely messed up.    I don't remember exactly, but it was something like you pass the finish, go down, double back and then finish.   I can remember being pissed about that, and it was only a 5K... I can only imagine how I'd feel if it were a marathon.

Great work.

Mariposai

Thanks guys for your kind words towards my attitude during this race, you make me look like a saint.  I must admit my hot latina spirit was ready to explode, but then  just one thought of friends like twocat, in whose honor I was running this race, and others who are on the sideline brought the whole perspective back to me.

Also, I received a letter from the RD. The real story is that the problem started with the lead bicyclist. The distance was correct...we just all took the wrong turn. following the lead runners.

Someone mentioned how how a person who is running his/her first marathon must felt...well..here is a blog of resurrectedrunner...please read it, it is a story you may not want to miss. Great job on your first marathon resurrectedRunner. Please enjoy your victory over the distance.. You finished just ahead of me, when I approached the finish line they came up with the second finish line by the Red Lion Hotel and the announcer did not say a word about going back outthere. 

http://resurrectedrunner.blogspot.com/2010/05/windermere-marathon-race-report.html

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Wow.......great racing there Mariposai.    Congratulations on two great finishes.

I am going to use this Marathon illustration in speaking opportunities as an analogy for how a wrong turn by the leaders will result in others who are following also making wrong turns.

Thanks for the report.

Joey

Vista
                  Dave59

Wow.......great racing there Mariposai.    Congratulations on two great finishes.

I am going to use this Marathon illustration in speaking opportunities as an analogy for how a wrong turn by the leaders will result in others who are following also making wrong turns.

Thanks for the report.

Joey

The leaders were just following a man on a bicycle.  So shouldn't the lesson be to not trust bicycle riders?

Every Mile is a Gift

The leaders were just following a man on a bicycle.  So shouldn't the lesson be to not trust bicycle riders?

Makes me wonder if somebody near the front of the pack made a wisecrack about cyclists, which he heard and thought, "I'll show those runners!"

It was my first, and a bit disappointing, but there will be more marathons in the future. I do feel sorry for those that picked this as their one and only marathon. Hopefully they'll be motivated to run more of them.

Often injured, NEVER giving up.

mariposai, in spite of the messed up aspects of the race, it sounds like you did get in your proper miles in a very good time.  Congratulations on your half marathon PR in a marathon.  Even though it had to be a bit frustrating, you handled it well.

TomS

Mariposai

Thank you all for your warm comments. What a wonderful group this is.

I cherish your words in my heart.

And the race goes on!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard