Masters Running

Saturday 9:27 Runs (Read 665 times)

My running day off today. Just posting about Brussel sprouts. Tongue My DW said she hated them with a passion that seems only matched by those here at RA! Well, I made some and now she is a huge fan. Try some variant of the following: Heat an oven to somewhere between 425 to 450 depending on your oven. The "what it depends on" is at what temperature will your oven actually brown or even blacken vegetables as opposed to just cook them. Cut the ends off of a box of the dreaded sprouts (about one box per two people, assuming you bought the box at a standard grocery store and not a wholesale place!) and place them in a bowl. Add a teaspoon or at most two of olive oil and stir so it just coats the sprouts. Next spread the sprouts in a baking dish, I like the oven proof glass version but you can use a metal one if you like. Now bake them in the oven for about 45 minutes or until brown. Single leaves that have fallen off will likely be black or close to it when the sprouts themselves are done. Eat! If you want to get a bit creative, cook the sprouts with sliced onions and/or some garlic cloves. I love garlic and so use half a dozen cloves when I go this route. Another really good varient is to mix them with slivered almonds in brown butter. You make this by taking two tablespoons of butter and heating it on the stove in a skillet. Next add the almonds and cook for a couple of minutes. The butter should turn a light brown color. Immediately remove from the heat. You do not want burnt butter! Pour the whole thing over the already cooked sprouts and serve. In my view anybody that dislikes the version with brown butter and almonds has lost their tongue and should send somebody out to look for it! Big grin MTA: A "box" is about 10 ounces.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

TammyinGP

If we can fit a hottub over here in this brussel sprout hater corner, then I'll be there! BrusselSproutHatersUnite!

Tammy

Twocat - that recipe sounds delicious and the next time I cook those little suckers, I'll try doing them your way. The spitting them in the corner story reminded me of the "Leave It To Beaver" episode where Mrs. Cleaver served brussel sprouts but Beaver wouldn't eat them - he put them in his shirt pocket! When he got busted, the only way he could avoid being punished was to promise to eat them the next time they were served. Well, the Cleavers must have eaten in some pretty unusual restaurants because the next time they went out to eat, guess what was served? Yep - those little green balls. But, Beaver ate them and he liked them! And the ones I had for dinner were delicious and they're going to make me run nice and fast tomorrow. Good night all...
          Had a delightful dinner with Jura and Tet this evening...This will be Jura's first marathon and Tet has run over a hundred... I'm not running a marathon tomorrow...but I will go for a nice run...
          Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
          evanflein

Twocat, I looove brussel sprouts!! Unfortunately, so do the moose. They got almost all of them. I was out there picking the missed sprouts off the broken stems, muttering about the *#!#@* moose the whole time. I like them roasted like you had, or just steamed with a little sea salt on them. Sort of a veggie purist, I guess. But I think they're wonderful. Unfortunately, all my menfolk agree with the Pike's Market vendor who had the sign calling them "little green balls of death" on his bin. Hmph. I must say I have no idea what a box of them are... we get them in bulk at the store, like mushrooms. Just pick out how many of the ones you want and fill a bag! Lyndenrunner is the luckiest guy on the site today....
              Well, ummm, (sheepinshly) I like Brussel Sprouts. Does that mean I have to turn in my Man Card? I can't wait to try TwoCat's recipes. Yummmm! I liked him before. Now he's my hero! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong