Masters Running

Do You Know What Day it Is? The WEDNESDAY 10/18 Daily! (Read 40 times)

Another perfect clear & cool Fall day here (to be continued thru the weekend) and I went out to the lake to meet some friends for about 5 miles of walking.

One guy who was there but walked just a little way was the one who ran in the same 5K with me out in Omaha last May where we took 2nd in our respective age groups: 70-74 for me and 75-79 for Leo. Since that time, he went in for some suspected heart issues and ended up with a pacemaker and a quadruple bypass. On top of that, while doing scans on his heart they found the beginnings of lung cancer (he's never smoked!), so after the bypass operation he went back under the knife and they removed part of one lung. Understandably he's pretty discouraged at how much he's lost and the end of his competitive running career. On the other hand, I give him all credit for being back out with us just three weeks after his last surgery. I hope he keeps coming out with us.

Just a reminder to us all that running is no guarantee of immortality and you never know when something unexpected's going to force some major decisions on you.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

My doctor's office was running so far behind yesterday that my 4 pm appointment still had not been called at 5:15 pm, at which time they asked if I would be wiling to reschedule to this morning at 7:45 am.  So, DAY 3 of no running!

I am a big fat cow.

Twocat - you are so right!  My dislike of winter has sort of tainted my love of the fall.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

metalmancpa

8 mile tempo run, 8:10/mile with 3 miles in the 7:50's. Not thinking taper until next week. And then I'll decide if I run my first marathon next Sunday.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I'm not sure why...maybe it's my "Spidey Senses"...but something tells me that, tomorrow, Twocat is going to make some outlandish remark about my 1 mile track workouts.  Just you wait and see...

I did 13 miles, today...1.5 easy miles with the team, then 10 tempo miles, then 1.5 easy ones to end the day.  It felt good.  I have 5 more tough workouts before Richmond and I all I want to do is stay healthy.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

catwhoorg

Labrat

12 bike miles at lunch. Stomped on the pedals hard enough that I will log it as a Tempo effort.

Got blown off the road on my final lap, sudden gust. Was onto a grass verge so no harm done to the bike or myself.

Towards the end of the day. got a call from the kiddos school. He feel in the playground (he is OK, just a information call there would be an incident report) right as I was about to leave for my run.

Cut it a little short so just 6 easy after work

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

evanflein

I think this is going to be a "rest day" although I'm feeling pretty worn out. Lots going on at work, got here early (6:50) so DH could make it to his public radio fundraiser stint at 7, skipped lunch to prep for meetings, lots of other interruptions, issues and discussions. Here it is 5:17 pm, I've got a headache and it's snowing. Yeah, I could do the treadmill, but why? I'm done.

Doug, that sounds like Ribs with his cardiac issues, etc. But the lung cancer in someone who is active and never smoked is just so unfair. Hope he continues to recover well.

Twocat should be coming home any time now, right?

Holly, stop that negative self-talk. You're beautiful.

spacityrunner

Wednesday trail run with the trail gang felt WONDERFUL!  4.75 miles up, down, and around.  ~15 m/m and I felt great the whole run.  It has been a while since I've run with that kind of pep.  Hoping to have the same kind of pep for my trail half on Saturday.

Trails Rock!

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, nice cool morning....so I slept through it <eye roll>.   Went out at lunch for an easy run (for me) and a less easy run for two of my co-workers.  Showed them a drill to improve foot turnover.  They each did it at least 4 times.  I wound up with 7.2 miles, an overall 9 minute pace.  After work, I taught spin.

Evanflein, I had the good fortune to spend two weeks at Eielson AFB in July of 2012.  Amazing TDY, you live in a beautiful area (granted, not there during winter!).  In fact, coincidentally, I was wearing the Running Club North singlet I bought while I was there.  I also got to do the Gold Discovery Run the weekend we were there (along with whitewater rafting in Denali).  What a fun time.  I ran it with some of my airmen, so I ran through the crowd a couple of times to get pictures of them.  When we got on the roads I put away the camera and focused on races.  Did well enough (even with that) to place 2nd in my AG.  Loved the medal (since it's also a bottle opener).  And enjoyed both the beer and the food at the Silver Gulch brewery.  I hope to have a chance to go back....but there is a downside to getting promoted....

Have a great night everyone.

Mariposai

Erika, good for you for taking a day off.

Holly, your body welcomes the rest days, plus. ..you get a mariposai hug for resting.

Falconfixer, nice to teach others how to improve their running.

Labrat, nice biking today.

I did get out between the storm to do some speed workout. My new office is only 2 blocks away from the tracks...so no excuses for my wings to not fit in a speed work in my weekly schedule.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

TammyinGP

3.3 for me this afternoon with the XC kids.

Tammy