Masters Running

Memorial Day aka Monday running (Read 31 times)

Remembering all who gave the ultimate sacrifice in service to our country.

5.5 for me this morning.  Thought about meeting the 7 am group but I have a long day ahead of me so I got there late and sort of followed them.  Very humid but it's done.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

5k recovery run done for me. Nice and easy. Beautiful day.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Appropriate that you arrived just before me, Lori.  Today was the first run up in Maine which includes my own "Bertha"  aka "The Big Hill" and she (it?) won this morning.  Ended up walking up the last 50 yards or so, but still managed a pretty decent pace overall for just under 4 miles.  Nice cool and foggy morning.  Great for running, not so much for doing lake type stuff.  Oh well, we got most of that work out of the way yesterday.  Today comes with puttering around the boat house and trying to get rid of all the pinecones the squirrels shredded over the winter.

Erika---one or the other of those would have done me in.  Both are really impressive.  And nice that you're breaking in DIL2B early.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

And nice that you're breaking in DIL2B early.

Kevin - How far is your lake cabin from your home?

BerthaSlayer - well done on your marathon, in spite of the heat and not being able to really run your own race.  And I think the comment from your coach was not called for.  5:42 is not a terrible time - there are loads of people who run slower marathons than that.  If I were you, given that you are trained up so well right now, I would be looking for another marathon to run in 4-6 weeks, if you can find one that won't be too hot.

10.4 miles for me this morning in 68-73 degrees.

Afterward, I took the dogs for a walk.  Rosie is still learning the etiquette of this, and spends a lot of time biting her leash.  Then she bite's Dexter's leash and sort of drags him around a bit.  Both dogs enjoy snacking on the cicadas that are fluttering around in the grass. 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

BerthaSlayer - well done on your marathon, in spite of the heat and not being able to really run your own race.  And I think the comment from your coach was not called for.  5:42 is not a terrible time - there are loads of people who run slower marathons than that.  If I were you, given that you are trained up so well right now, I would be looking for another marathon to run in 4-6 weeks, if you can find one that won't be too hot.

10.4 miles for me this morning in 68-73 degrees.

Afterward, I took the dogs for a walk.  Rosie is still learning the etiquette of this, and spends a lot of time biting her leash.  Then she bite's Dexter's leash and sort of drags him around a bit.  Both dogs enjoy snacking on the cicadas that are fluttering around in the grass. 

I think I am going to continue to train to get faster. The coaching was indeed working. The coach wasn't trying to be insulting. I think he feels that longer endurance races may be my thing. Because really I can keep going for hours. And hours. And hours. I have that mental strength, I believe. It is the lack of speed that I personally want to remedy. If I could just combine them. The little race day details this weekend prevented the finish I wanted. I think I will wait until late fall or more likely early spring before I target another full. That means I won't be racing any of the ones that need to be registered for months in advance. Which is perfectly fine with me. So I am thinking of either the Martian once again or Glass City. Both are fairly local if I am willing to cross the border.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

flats

turtle runner eximious

I got in 9+ this AM. Great way to start the week.

Michael

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Hi everybody!

I ran seven on the treadmill after a fizzy lifting session this morning.  Actually felt good.  That's a big positive, considering I went a very slow 17 yesterday on the airline trail.  21 weeks until the marine corp marathon!  Next week starts the training.  I'm excited to get back into it!  Just need to lose some weight and stick to the schedule.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

It's only about 2 hours from our house.  And even better, only a little over an hour from work.  So I can stay over Sunday (in this case, Monday) night, avoid everyone else heading home, and drive to work in the morning.  Definitely lucky to have a place like that.

Hi, PBJ.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

...hiya pbj......

======

well,

turns out we got hit with 90-mile an hour Straight Line Winds

which

explains where all these friggin' trees came from.

............4-hours total

but not happy ones

.................good running to ya

tried to write a 2nd verse for my song

but

couldn't find a word that ryhmed with ''hernia''

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

tried to write a 2nd verse for my song

but

couldn't find a word that ryhmed with ''hernia''

Kevin - that IS cool!

Hiyah PBJ!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

catwhoorg

Labrat

In order 1600 yards in the pool (split in 3 different sets during guard breaks).

7x1200 VO2max repeats, which with warmup and cool down was 12.5 miles total.

Due to afternoon storms forecast we went to the pool early, and I got to do the intervals on the TM as the rain poured down.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  Happy Memorial Day!

Debbie and I have been doing yard work projects all weekend.  You know...I can run marathons...I can run ultra-marathons...I can run 5 dang marathons in 5 dang days...but I cannot keep up with Debbie when it comes to manual labor.  That woman is a work horse!  Besides Church, yesterday morning...and a couple of times she let me eat...this is the first time I've sat down for more than 10 minutes since Friday.  I really think she was trying to kill me...and she almost did.

Okay--that's all I can get my sore fingers to type...see ya!

evanflein

Holly, good job on the run (go Team A!).

Hi PBJ! Good to have you back into training.

We got almost the whole garden in today! Just need to plant the beans and the beets, the seeds for which are soaking on the counter. I went for a run after over 3 hours in the garden and oh boy that was tough. 7.3 miles. Finished just before the wind really kicked up and some rain moved through.

spacityrunner

After a visit by the emergency plumber to fix a spewing pipe in the basement  I headed for the mountains to knock out 4.3 knarly hot and hilly trail miles.  Slow but happy happy happy miles.  Thanks running for making it all better 

Trails Rock!

Thank you to all the veterans who have served their country. Remembering those who gave their lives in service. We watched some shows on The History channel about Germany, Hitler and the years after the war ended. We really do need to remember so this will never happen again.

My owie on my leg felt much better yesterday morning but is still really swollen. The wound doesn't look as bad as Enke's did from her trail run, Tet. I do have a dandy bruise though. I did get in a bike ride after church yesterday while the winds were still fairly calm, 15-20 mph. Today I played in the Amazing City Band at the Memorial Day presentation at the park. After that I worked on some baby quilts I am making to donate to the Crisis Pregnancy Center. We didn't get the yard work done but there is always next weekend, hopefully less windy. We have has those straight line winds here, Tomwhite, kinda scary at times. Hope there wasn't too much damage.

Goodnight all!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich