Masters Running

Training week ending October 7-8, 2023 (Read 10 times)

Alexander R

Greetings, runners! Please tell us about your past training week and upcoming goals.

Alexander R

Mon 6.4mi (1:23)
      Tue 5mi (1:06)
      Wed 5mi (1:17) with DW
      Thu 3mi (0:42)
      Fri 0
      Sat 63.4 mi (15:27) Tesla Hertz 100km run
      Sun 0

Total: 82.9 miles

I ran a 100km race on Long Island, all on single track trails in a beautiful pine forest. The trails are not technical and the course is flat, but it is not an easy course and it is not fast. I ran this race in 2020 and in 2022, and I hoped to do a similar time of about 14hrs, but this time it took me a bit over 15hrs. The weather was not perfect, it was raining for maybe 5 hours in the afternoon and the rain was heavy at times. I was very happy to finish, I think there were a lot of drops this year. And I was happy with the execution too, I started much slower than my usual unrealistic early pace, but then I did not crash and burn and I did not walk as much. I kept running until the very end, the mile splits are not fast, but steady.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Alexander - Congratulations on the 100km.  More running in one day than I usually do in a week.  Great  job keeping the splits steady throughout.

Tammy - What are you tapering for?

Paul - Are you base-building for any race in particular, or just getting back to a certain level after your last race?

Last week was a step back week for me of 56.3 miles.  This week will be peak mileage.  We're finally getting some cooler, autumn weather here.  The highlight of the week was this morning when my kid asked if he could run with me (he generally prefers to run alone because he's faster than me), so the first half of my "easy" 10-miler was more strenuous than the training plan would have liked but some things are more important.  I'm starting to think more often about a pace for the marathon.  I know it's still very early and weather will play a huge role in the final decision.  Part of me would really like to try for sub-4, but most of me just wants to have a good race that doesn't finish with dragging through the last several miles as with all my other marathons.  Middle-of-the-road projections from various prior races and my current training suggest 4:05 as a target.  I should probably just put my ego aside and go with that (weather permitting).

Date Workout Type Distance Duration Pace Temp
        10/2/2023   Easy   6.0 mi 1:08:02 11:21  63
        10/3/2023  2 x 3 miles/1 mile  Interval 12.3 mi 2:00:29   9:48  56
        10/5/2023  9 at marathon pace  Pace 12.0 mi 1:53:35   9:28  58
        10/6/2023   Easy   6.0 mi 1:07:24 11:15  66
        10/7/2023   Easy 10.0 mi 1:49:51 11:00  66
        10/8/2023   Easy 10.0 mi 1:45:55 10:36  50
        5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
        10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Running is Back 10k, 5/12; Greta's Run 5k, 5/19

TammyinGP

Impressive performance on your race Alexander!

I hope you hit your goal time for your upcoming race Fred! and weather permitting, I get it's totally in the realm of possibility! Weather can really make or break race performances. 

Last week was low mileage, which of course always starts playing with your head when tapering.

Tues: 4.3 miles

Thurs: 5.4 miles

Sun: 10.2 miles

total: 19.9 miles

This week is race week, so I'll get in a couple short runs and then the 50K on Saturday (Rogue Gorge 50K). With quite a bit of rain in the forecast it's a good week to taper I suppose. Hoping the weather cooperates on Saturday, so far it's calling for slight chance of rain in morning and overcast all day. Which I'm hoping the overcast conditions will deter eclipse viewers from driving out to the area where the race is. Prime viewing in So. Or. is Crater Lake and the race start is not far from CL and with only one main highway getting there, that's where all the traffic would be. I'm camping about 10 miles from the race start the night prior, but even a 10 mile drive could take a long time if the hwy is backed up with people trying to get out to CL.  So while I was once pleasantly surprised and anxiously anticipating an eclipse happening during the 50K, I'm now hoping it's cloudy and people stay away. lol

Tammy

pfriese

Another late in the week check-in. Big Friese family reunion at Possum Kingdom Lake over fall break.

M - 7 miles (9:59/mile)

T - rest day

W - 10.1 miles (9:47/mile)

Th - 6.2 miles (10:25/mile)

F - 7 miles (9:59/mile)

Sa - 3 miles hiking

Su - 3.5 miles hiking

Total - 30.3 miles running + 6.5 miles hiking

Paul - Are you base-building for any race in particular, or just getting back to a certain level after your last race?

Next race is the Paris Marathon in early April. I won't start training for it until December. So, just want to keep my fitness level up. Plus, there is "the game", too. Smile

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Speaking of "The Game," Alexander racked up some nice points last week.  Individual distance and time as well as guaranteeing his team the race miles point.  Nice job!

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
              10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Running is Back 10k, 5/12; Greta's Run 5k, 5/19

TammyinGP

yes, I noticed that! Excellent job Alexander!

Tammy

Alexander R

yes, I noticed that! Excellent job Alexander!

Tammy and Fred, thank you! Unfortunately, I will be paying the price now. My mileage is going to be nowhere in the next two weeks and on top of that I developed a rather severe cold after running in the rain.

Another rock solid week Fred. Logging 2x12+2x10  efforts in one week is very very good, and then it is a step back week for you. So I guess it is only a step back week in the sense that there was no extra long run, which is probably coming in the peak mileage week. I am sure you will make the right decision regarding the pace. Weather is obviously a huge factor and of course in NY starting slow is even more critical than on many other courses.

Tammy, I hope the 50k went well! Very interesting interaction between the solar eclipse and the race. Getting into a traffic jam on your way to the race is the worst, I can relate. NJ marathon had that problem and also the one time I ran the LA marathon I basically had to leave the car to my wife and walk to the Dodgers stadium, that was the only way to make it to the starting line on time.

Good week, Paul. I think it's good to have a target race so early in the spring, it motivates to keep training up through the winter.