Masters Running

Saturday, 2.17.17 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Yesterday’s excellent workouts:
    Jlynne (30 min. pool laps, 45 min. M.N. pool running - taking it easy on the left heel)
    Dave (4.12 miles in 32F weather)
    TomWhite (40 min. on the Greenway with temps in the 50s)
    BerthaSlayer (1 cute little streak-maintaining mile)
    Holly (1500 yard in the pool, 2 ™ miles, and 30 min. of weights & core)
    Tet (5 Spring-like miles)
    Deeze (1 hr. bike computraining)
    Hally (a bit over 2 miles after a tough time getting OTD)
    Enke (5 energyless miles in 50-55F temps in shorts with crocuses)
    Mike (10 miles in 60F temps)
    Evanflein (30 min, pool running [sigh])
    Lamerunner (7-8 miles of morning and afternoon mountain snowshoeing, including breaking new trail)
    Twocat (17+ miles, including crossing a “historic” swing bridge)
    Tammy (3 miles, post-work, in the rain)

Best wishes for our foot injury sufferers. I’m glad you are taking it easy and/or taking time off.

Dave, long ago someone told us to not complain about going to too many weddings because they would eventually be followed by too many funerals. So enjoy any celebration, and congrats to the retiree!

Close call, TomWhite.

Good luck in today’s race, Lori.

Holly, I’m glad everyone a DD’s school wants to work together to help her along. If everyone can get on the same program, it will hopefully make a difference. I’m also drug-averse, and so would keep her off meds unless nothing else helps.

That’s a lot ‘a rain, Tet!

I could see that suitcase thing coming, Stumpy, because I’ve done similar things. I’m glad you still got your work done.

Good luck with preserving that “historic” bridge, Twocat.

So, we started our ‘wacky winter party’ years ago as a company Christmas party at our home. It has evolved into a mid-winter party for employees and friends. We expect about 30 people this year. We always include an activity as an ‘ice-breaker’ because not everyone knows everyone else. There are usually teams (spouses have to split up) and a competition with goofy prizes. The activities have included making snow globes, creating gingerbread & candy winter scenes, making sock puppets, creating a 3-minute play using provided props, group selfies with silly hats, etc., etc. This year’s activity is…well, although I gave a hint a few weeks ago, we aren't telling anyone until after Sunday’s party, so you'll have to wait till Monday.

4.4 miles in 29F temps this morning. I have too many aches and pains and am too ice-shy (the roads are mostly, but not completely clear) to have done anything more than an easy workout today. But the half-moon was high, the sky was mostly clear, the air was refreshing, and it was good to be outside.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Good morning.

Hope the west coast weather is not creating too much havoc out there.  Stay dry.

Jay—thought about you yesterday when I heard this NPR story on coastal residents and climate change in your neck of the woods. (And hope your party goes well.)

Holly—seems good that the whole teaching staff is aware of the issues and strategizing (is that a word?) for how best to handle.  Being skeptical about ADHD label seems sensible but for some folks appropriate meds are a life-changer.  I have a colleague who just went through this over the last few years with a 14-year-old son. Good luck.

Lame—that sounds like a tough hike but I bet it was beautiful.

Erika—hope you see some improvement with the foot.  That's a drag.

Twocat—yeah, “historic” can be useful. Been there, done that.  And to be fair, it often does make people appreciate unique local features they otherwise take for granted.

I ran my rail-trail half this morning in comfortable 40’s weather.  It was my first race in 10 months.  After my knee issue in December (MCL?), my goal was to build up enough mileage safely to finish this distance.  It's an out-and-back course so I decided to go out relatively easy and pick up the pace on the way back for a negative split.  Mission accomplished and all felt pretty good.  I ran a ~ 1:45 one of my slowest but--given the circumstances--I’m happy with it.  Details in a separate race report thread. (What ever happened to race reports?)

Have a great weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - your parties sure sound fun!

Kevin - how frustrating!

Tramps - nice HM!  I look forward to your RR.

I am heading out to Dick's with DD to outfit her for lacrosse, since tryouts are Monday.  Apparently everyone makes the team, so we may as well get the equipment and cleats now.  Hopefully it won't break the bank too much....

Later we are going to Top Golf with my dad, DS and his GF and DD.  Apparently DH has planned this as a sort of birthday celebration for me.  Since my birthday isn't actually for 3 more weeks, maybe I should start a birthday-month trend, like Mike's DW.....

6.6 miles for me this morning in 45 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly, in general -- meds or not -- I'm against "labeling" children, especially with a fuzzy definition. Once that happens, they start to be thought of as "that ADD kid" instead of who they really are. There's a good chance that our DS might have been labeled with a low-level form of autism, and I think that it was better overall for him to just adapt and grow out of his condition rather than fall back on a "diagnosis." At least for us, it's all worked out in the end.

The 2nd of three straight predicted beautiful days here, and being a weekend the trail was full of runners and bikers. I was dressed comfortably for a change, but that was mostly on the out-leg into a cool breeze. It got much warmer once I turned around with the breeze behind me. I won't say that a lot of others were overdressed, but Ribs would have made out quite well levying jacket-around-the-waist fines! 

I stretched it out a bit today for a full 7 miles, which for me is an LR going back to about October. Tomorrow I might take a bike out if only for the novelty of riding in mid-February.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Mike E

MM #5615

If you haven't read Tramps' race report, stop right now and go read it...why are you still here?  Go read his report!

C-R

Hi All,

Didn't post while in Vegas. Too busy with work meetings and stuff. Did get to run and keep my streak alive but it's not a runner friendly town. Heard the trails outside of town are great but had no wheels. Tried Top Golf for first time (major fun) and watched Cirque du Soleil for the first time and was awe struck.

So back to the real world. Ran 10 with the club this morning was only supposed to run 6 but I felt good. Met some new people and had fun. I was in charge of the outbound water stop and people seemed to like how I mix the Powerade. I use half the recommended powder. Too gooey for me at full strength. Guess I'm not the only one. Kiddo has first indoor track meet today and I'm typing from the stands. Hope he meets his expectations.

That party sounds great Jay. Enjoy.

Holly - our daughter takes meds for ADHD and it has been a wonderful thing for her. Grades improved so much and she feels so much less anxious. I wondered about that at first since I'm one of those "I don't need no stinkin meds" guys but it has been awesome. I hope you find your path and lacross is such a great game. Unfortunately here in IN the girls can't hit with the sticks or body check. Maybe OH is different as that makes the game really interesting. Oh and DD is now heavily into martial arts. It has really helped her. Might be a thought.

That's very positive Tramps. Running trails tomorrow and can't wait.

Oh wait Mike says I have to read the race report. Gotta go then.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Jlynne

If you haven't read Tramps' race report, stop right now and go read it...why are you still here?  Go read his report!

+1

Holly - I hope you'll be slow to consider the meds route with DD. I'd just like to echo other's opinions that school officials are sometimes too quick on the draw to put a "label" on what is wrong with kids today. Being her mother, you know her better than anyone. She sounds like a high spirited young lady, and hopefully she'll grow out of this phase soon.

Can't wait to hear more about your wacky winter party Jay!

Who would've thought you'd be out riding your bike on February 19, right Roch? Your weather sounds a lot like ours today.

Speaking of weather, it was too nice to not run this morning, even with a bad foot. Just a tad under 6 miles with too many walk breaks. I felt like Chester from "Gunsmoke" for a while. I'm sure I'm making my foot much better by running 3 or 4 days a week

The patio door is open, I took all of the bedding and washed it and it's now hanging on our clothesline which I haven't used since last November. I was debating about putting the patio furniture out. That, for sure, will bring a snowstorm next week!

Have a great Saturday everyone.

Dave59

4.24 miles early this morning.  I slept great and woke up early and rested.

I'm watching my home town Buffalo Sabres play the St. Louis Blues.  Buffalo has gone from a bad team to an average team. It would be nice to have a good team to cheer for again before I die.

Tramps a negative split always feels great!

Holly S. it seems "birthday months" are becoming popular. I am lucky to get a day out of it. 

rochrunner finally got nice here too. DW and her friend had a good run as a result. Of course, yesterday for my long run . . . 

C-R Vegas is not a super easy place to work out a running route. I found that the morning winds tend to be my biggest problem while there. Well that and losing money at the craps table. 

Jlynne maybe if you do not say your patio furniture is out in a loud voice the weather demons will not hear and it will not snow. Shhhh.

DW and her friend ran about 8 in this morning's relatively nice weather. (As in nice for mid-February.) I basically did some gym work. Tomorrow I have a 20K race that was rescheduled from last week. Turned out to be a great call by the RD. Last Sunday was awful! Freezing rain, some snow and generally pretty miserable and dangerous running weather. Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and 43° when the race starts! 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

evanflein

Good call on the rescheduled race, twocat, sounds like you'll have IRC. And I can see why the town would want to keep the bridge, or at least not have one that allows trucks to go through town. That's why I like our narrow road with no shoulders: truck drivers hate it.

Sounds like a fun party, Jay. Too much going on over the holidays anyway, right? Nice to have it when people really need a break.

Holly, I was thinking your daughter sounds a little bored. I think someone says she's maybe not challenged enough. Does your school have some gifted or advanced classes? What does she want to do? On another note, happy birthday month, a little early! Can't wait to see you next week!

C-R, I found a pretty good running route in Vegas, actually. It heads out of town and goes around the airport. There are some neighborhood roads that are pretty nice, although some sidewalks are a bit sketchy. Had me running by myself in the dark through some "iffy" parts but it wasn't too bad. I think I got some 8-10 milers done while there for a conference.

Nice race, Tramps! A 1:45 would be a stretch goal for me these days. Well done and sounds like you've done a great job rehabbing that knee.

Lamerunner, I'd love to go on some of those hikes with you. The pictures you post on FB are so cool! Looks like you're miles out in the boonies, with some beautiful views.

DH is at an all day (well, most of the day) sourdough class. He signed up for this awhile ago and I think it's so cool! As much as I'd like to learn more about sourdough, there's no way I'd give up so much of a sunny Saturday to do it so kudos to him. He's already texted me pictures of things they're trying, like sourdough chocolate cake, pancakes, tortillas... he gets some starter to bring home and recipes. Yum! I'll do some errands and hit the gym for some elliptical time. Foot is better than yesterday but I'm not running on it (ahem, hear that, Jlynne??).

Funny you mention sourdough Erika, I have been experimenting with this for the past 3 or 4 weeks.  I made my own starter - just flour and water, and in a few days, it was bubbly.  It's amazing there is enough endogenous wild yeast in the dry flour to do this.  Then you have to feed it to keep it going.  The first two loaves I made were ok, but could have risen more or been a bit more flavourful.  The third one I made this morning was a flop.  I should have baked it yesterday, but I thought it might rise more, but it didn't - it had peaked already.  I am determined though....  I also made a sourdough pizza crust 2 weeks ago, and it turned out quite tasty.

I woke up tired and with a sore throat, so I guess that explains my carpy run yesterday.  Last night around 7 pm, my DD informed me I was taking her ice skating from 9 to 11 pm.  I just wanted to go to bed, but nope, I drove her to the rink and we both skated with 3 of her friends.  It was mostly kids 13-16 there, I felt like I was back in middle school!  She wants to take lessons, because her BFF is taking them.  I don't want to sign her up to have her quit though, but I will look into it.

So since I feel tired today, not going to run.  Just walked the dog.

Tonight I am taking DD to a cat cafe.  You pay for a tea or other beverage, and go into a room with about 20 cats, and can play and pet them for an hour.  She loves cats, but her brother is allergic to them, so no cats for us.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

Unfortunately here in IN the girls can't hit with the sticks or body check.

Well, darn, what's the fun in that?

Twocat - I'm with you on the historic bridge - keep it there.

Enke - cat café - what a cool idea!

Erika - I'm hoping that heel gets better so that you can get through the race.  By the way, did I tell you that, for my birthday, I'm going to Phoenix!  Yep, that's the ticket.....

Re: ADHD - while DD does exhibit some of the symptoms associated with it, I am not convinced.  I did talk to her PA about it (she swims at the Y when I do), and she suggested dietary changes might help, including reducing her sugar intake.  I told DH to stop buying all that sugar-sweetened cereal that she seems to live off and let's see if we can force her to eat a little better.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I went to work for a couple hours, this morning, then I came home and did some tree pruning, then I read Tramps' race report, then I ran 8 miles, then I went to a granddaughter's basketball game, and now, I have to get ready to go out to dinner with Debbie.  A whole lot of stuff piled into a Saturday.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

TammyinGP

Hi all!

Holly, I think diet modification is a great place to start. I don't have personal experience with an ADD or ADHD type diagnosis in anyone I know very well and while I do believe there are some kids that really can benefit from the medication and see a drastic improvement in concentration and academics, I think for others it's an 'easy route' so to speak of using medication to control a behavior, when there are other avenues to explore to help channel energy in a positive direction. and since so many of our foods are full of dyes, preservatives, chemicals that no doubt affect brain function and impulse control issues, modifying food is great thing to start experimenting with to see if you notice improvement. and if not, at least she's putting healthier foods and less bad things in her body.

I had a 5K this morning, but needed to get in 10 today. so ran a 1 mile warm-up, then the 5K, then went out for another 6 on the HM course and met up with a running partner and ran back to finish line.

Tammy

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Hi everybody. My 8k trail race went well. Not as fast as I'd have liked but it was a beautiful day. Record breaking temperatures. So approximately 1:05 of racing and about 6 hours of tail gating in a tshirt in February with my running tribe. Will try to post the fun water crossing photo when i finish scrolling through the 8 billion photos of the 100 of us. Lol.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**