Masters Running

Friday Master Runs and Workouts. Beware the achy parts ... (Read 376 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

Deb, some of the overgrown trails are getting pretty narrow. The other problem is, they get a vee in the bottom from water running down the trail, so footing is tricky.  But this only happens for short stretches here and there.  It's just part of trail running.  Overall, I much prefer trails to roads, but you can't go fast and you have to watch your footing.

Holly, your DD sounds stubborn enough to make an excellent runner!  You might look for a 1mile or 2 mile race to start out with.  And if she runs a 5K, she's likely to place in her AG, as not many small kids run them, so she could get a medal that way. 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Slo

Slo – why no more 800’s?

I've opted to do a fall marathon....1st one in 3 years......It's sept 27th.

That puts me at 11 weeks out........My plan is to do a 2 x 10min tempo in place of the 800's repeats. I've never had a recovery issue from the tempo runs. From time to time I've left myself in the hole following an interval session.

Generally I've been doing my Intervals on Tues, Long Tempo on Thu or Fri and long run on Sunday. The new plan for the next 11 weeks is repeat tempo's at 10k to half mary pace on Tues,  30 - 40 min Tempos at Half Mary on Thu or Fri and then on my long run to include harder efforts (Marathon Goal pace) for the last 30 - 40 mins.  All in all thats alot of hard running.  I don't think I could do that and still be able to run 800's at a pace thats close to my 5k........so I think I'm better off focusing on the endurance portion.

I still have Sprint Tri's, a 4 mile race and a few 5 k's.......maybe even a 10k in there for racing. Actually, after reviewing my race calendar I have 7 races......which does include a 10k one month out from the marathon.

<colgroup><col style="width: 91pt;" width="121" /><col style="width: 171pt;" width="228" /><col style="width: 110pt;" width="147" /><col style="width: 79pt;" width="105" /></colgroup>
      11-Jul-09 Moonlight Chase 4 mi Road Yes
      18-Jul-09 25k TT Bike Road race
      19-Jul-09 40k TT Bike Road Race
      1-Aug-09 Crossroads Tri Sprint Triathlon Yes
      14-Aug-09 Camanche Classic 5k Road
      16-Aug-09 Pigman Long Course Half Ironman
      16-Aug-09 Du State Du Duathlon
      29-Aug-09 State Park X Country 5k CC
      29-Aug-09 Silvis Family Run 10k 5K
      19-Sep-09 Harvest Hammer Duathlon
      27-Sep-09 QC Marathon Marathon
      10-Oct-09 Fulton Fall Festival 5k
      18-Oct-09 CBRC Pumpkin Dash 8k Road
      1-Nov-09 Governors Cross Country 4+ Mi
      4-Dec-09 Fulton Christmas Run 2mi

Marathon Maniac #3309

Tammy, you let me know who's nagging you about running more...I will "bop" them on the head for ya (ouch) Speaking of back pain, I forgot how much Cycling hurts my lower back being in my drops or areobars, but running I am fine??? Sounds like a good plan Slo, and you sure race a lot....look forward to watching your Marathon training and great results. Well, my training is done for my 1/2 Ironman in the morning, after a 30 mile ride and 8 mile run - brick workout this morning. After tomorrow's race I will have about 360 miles cycling - 53 miles running, and 0 swimming this week....I am just training right through and I will see how I do....I will be tired I can tell ya that. But all this cycling will help me more on my 160 mile bike race the next Sat after this race....then I think I will need a short break (ya think) Then focus on my Fall Marathon. Hope everyone is having a super day!!! TimBo PS: Bill, when I do swim, it always helps my back pain greatly....hope you are painfree soon!

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

King of PhotoShop

From SLO:

"Generally I've been doing my Intervals on Tues, Long Tempo on Thu or Fri and long run on Sunday. The new plan for the next 11 weeks is repeat tempo's at 10k to half mary pace on Tues,  30 - 40 min Tempos at Half Mary on Thu or Fri and then on my long run to include harder efforts (Marathon Goal pace) for the last 30 - 40 mins.  All in all thats alot of hard running.  I don't think I could do that and still be able to run 800's at a pace thats close to my 5k........so I think I'm better off focusing on the endurance portion."

I agree, which is why I like to see track work done at a much kinder pace, say 20 seconds per mile slower than fiveK pace, which is essentially what you are going to do when you move to more tempo work.  This plan you are on is going to be perfect for a marathon.  You will get excellent quality work AND the benefit of easier and faster recovery.  Your bike work will be an added bonus too.  Very well thought out.  Spareribs

wildchild

Carolyn

After tomorrow's race I will have about 360 miles cycling - 53 miles running, and 0 swimming this week....

Tim, I think you mean 0 swimming BEFORE tomorrow's race - if you have 0 swimming AFTER the race, you're doing something wrong (or walking on water?).

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

Yeah, I was wondering about that... Good luck to you TimBo. I'm sure you'll do great!

Continuing my quest to figuring out appropriate (or at least better) paces for various days and purposes... 3.6 miles at lunch, 9:12 avg pace. When the last hill up to my office started to feel like too much work, I decided I was done with the run and walked the last .3 mile. Perhaps I could've done it slower, but not without considerable effort. Wouldn't that negate the purpose of a recovery run? Whatever, I'm happy with how it turned out.

Going to a wine tasting on the Riverboat tonight. Haven't done that for a couple years since the ticket prices went up out of reach. But a friend of ours comp'd a pair of tickets for us so that'll be a treat! Glad it's turned out to be such a nice day, sunny and 70.

evanflein

Oh my... what has SteveP been up to? No mention of a dog named Tag....

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07102009/news/regionalnews/biff__wham__pow__178573.htm

Marathon Maniac #3309

Sheesh...nothing gets by you guys (smiles) Ok, if I don't add this it will feel like a bad omen....and a 1.2 mile swim, there I feel better now! (supposed to be storming in the morning...I don't want to be "zapped" during the swim. Have fun at your Wine tasting Erika...I had enough Wine at Seattle to last me a Year, I think. Tammy, don't make me come over there Girl... Have a great night all. TimBi

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

SteveP

That's wonderful news Ribs

'Tammy and DH sitting in a tree....."

Holly, DW and I missed a fun run tonight, I got outta work way late. It's a mile and part way through it, some one stops you and you have to act like a tea pot, quack and walk like a duck...smile. Kids like that stuff. A school up here has medals for all kids who finish the race around the school. Your DD may be old for that. You could even go the an engraver, buy a medal and have one of the race people give it to her when she finishes.

Mariposai, can you save the pits for me? I'm not sure what for, but if I ever needed cherry pits, I'd hate to remember I missed an opportunity.

Erika, that article was too much!! Why would any one dress like Superman?...What's the matter with people?

Today, on a delivery, my pants got caught on a window. I heard a classic "Rip" and I soon felt a draft. From the outside of my right thigh, across to my zipper and down to my knee, I had no secrets.  DW wanted to know what kind of MUG I was showing off.

SteveP

Spareribs congratulations!  Quite an accomplishment, 50+ miles so shortly after last year's heart surgery.  You are quite an inspiration to us all!

Mariposai thanks for asking about the shot but wrong week!  I get poked on Monday.

dg.  gym workouts are dull as always!  I hate being inside.  I always tell people that the reason I preferred living on the west coast was that there people live outside, and in the east they live inside.  Alas, it is inside for me at the moment.  Anyway, on Monday they will take blood out of my arm.  Spin it around to separate out the parts that your body uses to aid tissue growth from the rest.  Then inject the tissue growth part into the area where my bursitis and irritated hamstring are busy partying.  Hopefully, that will put a damper on the festivities and I can then run again in the not too distant future.

FWIW, I have found that walking has been quite beneficial.  I have been doing about 2.5 miles in the morning and the evening.  Maybe it is just a coincidence (and it could be after all this time off) but it seems to really be helping with both the bursitis and hamstring.  Even absent Monday's treatment I am starting to believe running again is just a few weeks off.  Well, I can hope right? 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Renee the dog

A 7 miler tomorrow will give me 55 for the week, my first week over 50 miles in two years, and I don't feel tired at all.    Spareribs

gggrrrrrr. 

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, DW and I missed a fun run tonight, I got outta work way late. It's a mile and part way through it, some one stops you and you have to act like a tea pot, quack and walk like a duck...smile. Kids like that stuff. A school up here has medals for all kids who finish the race around the school. Your DD may be old for that. You could even go the an engraver, buy a medal and have one of the race people give it to her when she finishes.

That sounds like fun!  And a good idea about the medal, thanks.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."