Masters Running

Training week ending April 23-24, 2022 (Read 9 times)

Alexander R

Greetings, runners! Please tell us about your past training week and upcoming goals.

Alexander R

Mon 26.2 mi (3:22) Boston marathon
      Tue 0
      Wed 0
      Thu 0
      Fri 5.2mi (1:21)
      Sat 8mi (1:31)
      Sun 8.1mi (1:49)

Total: 47.7 miles (+39mi on stationary bike)

this was my 17th Boston, and 2nd at the same age of 55 (the previous one was in October). last year I ran 3:23, splitting 1:40/1:43. On Monday I ran 1 minute faster but my split was 1:37/1:45. Yeah, I went out a bit more aggressively and paid the price. The weather was great and I wanted to break 3:20. Ended up with a somewhat painful +8 min positive split, but nothing too bad. A 3-5min positive split would basically be even effort considering the hills in the second half. +8 min was a very clear indicator that  I was not doing all that great, but it was not that much worse than many other marathons that I ran

My wife is now telling her friends that " ... at age 55, my husband ran Boston marathon ..."  and they are supposed to be impressed, saying something like "oh wow" or something  and then she adds triumphantly " ... twice !!"  ;-))) which is all true, both Bostons were completely official

pfriese

Nice Boston race Alexander. I hadn't even thought about the possibility of running the Boston Marathon twice at the same age. That's a neat observation.

Here's what I had for the week:

M - 6.1 miles (10:02/mile)

T - 9 miles (12x400 intervals @ 8:00/mile)

W - 5.1 miles (9:58/mile)

Th - 6 miles (Mt Scott ascent & descent, 9:48/mile)

F - 6 miles (9:47/mile)

Sa - rest

Su - OKC Memorial Half Marathon 1:54:01 (4AG)

Total - 45.3 miles

My running has been going so well in March, I decided on Wednesday to sign up for the OKC Mem Half Marathon. The race weather was near perfect & I did well. Race report is in the forum.

Paul

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Alexander - congrats on doing Boston twice at the same age.

Paul - nice job on the half.

Mo - 5 easy

Tu - a couple 1-mile intervals, 6.6 miles total

We - rest

Th - 8 with 5 at HM pace

Fr - 6.3 easy

Sa - 8 easy

Su - 4 mile race in Central Park.  Set a course record but not a PR.

37.9 for the week.

My 15-year-old ran with me on Sunday.  His second every 4-miler.  He beat me in the race and also ran faster than my PR in the process.  I told him he should race my running partner to defend our family honor (my RP is faster than me) and my son replied "Well, Dad, I wouldn't have to if you weren't so slow."

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
          10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

TammyinGP

congratulations on your Boston, Alexander! That's an impressive time to me. well done!

anxious to go read your RR, Paul. I do enjoy reading those and gaining some little nuggets in wisdom in each one.

Fred - reminds me of a comment my son once said to me when he was a middle school runner and we went out for a couple miles together. "mom, do you mind if I run ahead because at this pace, it's going to take a long time" 

Last week:

Tues: 5.1 TM miles

Thurs: 5 TM miles

Sat: 50k trail race (6:37)

total: 41.8

I put a RR in the main forum if anyone is interested in the deets. It was a good race for me though. I was really happy with how the day went.

This week: nothing specifically planned. Even though my legs feel good today (but DOMS usually hits me about 48 hrs after so I could feel totally different by this afternoon lol ) I think I'll wait until tomorrow to run a few miles. Maybe run around 20 miles this week.

Tammy

Alexander R

Paul, congratulations again the half! I just read your race report and I am speechless. What a great way to run a half marathon, dialing the pace up and up and up like that.

Fred, thank you! Another very solid week and it's really great that you are running with your son!

Tammy, I just read your race report, what a great 50k! The comment about "relatively flat"  2400 ft elev change made me smile. That is a lot of climb. I have not run on trails in a long time, but my goal for a 50k like that would be very similar to your goal, around 7 hrs would be good. Depending on details, how technical the trails are and so on it can be 8hrs. And you did it in 6:37! Congratulations again!!