Masters Running

It's A SLO start to Thursday (Read 429 times)

spacityrunner

This must be no sproinkiness week...after my fun, fun, fun workout on Sunday (swim and run) I have a big fat goose egg for the rest of the week...no swimming, no running, no mojo, don't know where it got to, but it is not with me...so, after fighting it all week I finally delclared a week off...must be what I needed. 

I want to "live" to run another week...so for someone that ended up taking near a year off for overuse injuries, a week is nothing.  But is sure is hard to post when you aren't doing anything but working, eating and watching TV (like I said, no mojo, for nadda)

I will bet that I want to run, no will be dying to run, by the time saturday and sunday roll around...

As for stretching...I am not a consistent stretcher...I  mostly "loosen" things up prior to a run, and will sometimes do a few stretches after a run, but mainly I just walk for 10-15 min after running...seems to work for me.

Good runs and good day everyone...

Trails Rock!

I couldn't budge this morning when the alarm went off at 5:00 - back-to-school insomnia/nightmares are starting already and kept me from sleeping well last night.  I skipped running, but did get to the pool for my longest swim so far. 

Since my kayaking days are limited by the back-to-school thing, I also went out on the bay in pretty wild winds.  Paddled hard for about 30 minutes, then slipped into a little creek between two marshes and floated while listening to the hundreds and hundreds of seagulls.  Paddled hard again to get back across the bay, and just as I was ready to float the last quarter of a mile back to the dock, some guy on shore started calling to me.  I thought he was warning me about the boat that was somewhat close to me, but, no, he wanted me to "rescue" the now-dead fish he had caught and then lost from his line. 

Not one to shy away from a challenge, I went after it for him, and what I thought would be an easy favor turned into a 25-minute adventure.  Once I finally got over my unwillingness to actually touch the fish with my bare hands, I realized there was no way I'd be able to get it into the boat that way.  Every time I got close enough to grab at it, it slipped right out of my hands, and I almost fell out of the kayak!  After about 10 tries, I paddled to where the guy was on shore and got a three-hook thing from him.  Back out to dead Mr. Fishy I went, tool in hand, determined to succeed. 

I totally went into this zone where there was no way I wasn't going to get this done.  I've been reading about "flow," and let me tell you, I was there.  Total focus on snagging this sucker.  Took me another 20 or so tries, but I finally got the hook through Nemo's gill and in the kayak he went!  I was totally bummed that none of the many people now watching from shore bothered to applaud.

Took two pictures for posterity - the iPhone more than paid for itself today - one of the fish in the kayak and one of the guy holding it.  (Still haven't figured how to post pics, so y'all will have to believe that this isn't just some fish story until I do.)  Got back to shore and got heck from my buddies who looked at the photos and realized that it wasn't big enough to be a keeper.  Big enough that I had to drag my feet outside of the kayak not to touch it, but still not exactly legal.  So my story isn't that I helped someone to catch an illegal fish, I simply conducted a volunteer search and recovery mission for a striped bass that accidentally drowned in the bay this afternoon.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Plan to run early tomorrow unless Fish and Wildlife tracks me down overnight.

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

400 yard swim, 9.5 mile bike, 2 mile run............bike was on my mom's mountain bike with gear shifts that i had absolutely no idea how to use so never knew what .......... oh well -- dead last on the bike but i am still so glad i was out there --- results aren't posted but honestly arent important to me -- just felt so happy to be out there!!

GOODNITE RA Friends!!

denise

Plan to run early tomorrow unless Fish and Wildlife tracks me down overnight.

Eliz

Post your address - I'll take up a collection for bail money!

Nice job tonight, Denise. It sounds like you truly enjoyed yourself.

evanflein

Just quickly skimmed today's posts and haven't had time to go back the last couple days. Byll, hang in there, fren. You too, Tramps. Holly, you're fine, you're just having "re-entry" issues.

Soccer tournament is going ok.... I mean the boys have won all their games and are in the semi-finals after a day off today, but our coach has tendered his resignation because he just can't deal with the boys' attitude and lack of teamwork and poor sportsmanship. Ouch. Yes, I can see it though. This team has had problems since their original coach died suddenly. A real tragedy for her family and our team as well as the community in general.

My running has been going well, but I've had to rearrange my whole week. Monday I ran my recovery run (4.5 miles) way too fast (8:17 avg).

Tuesday I ran 11 miles, with hills and tempo stuff, 8:13 avg.
            Wednesday I ran 6.5 miles @ 8:31 avg pace, good enough for what I was
            trying to do (5 EZ) but I misjudged the distance back to the cabin.
            Today I ran Sunday's 20 miler, because it was a day off from soccer and DS2 spent the night with friends at the main hotel.

We got to bed sort of late from our cookout here, and lots of wine, but I made it out at 9 am and ran 21 miles at 8:21 avg pace. Lots of hills in the first half, faster pace on the second half. Very happy with this run, my first negative split/fast finish really long run in a long time.
            Mile 15 @ 8:18
            Mile 16 @ 8:12
            Mile 17 @ 8:07
            Mile 18 @ 8:03
            Mile 19 @ 8:00
            Mile 20 @ 8:15 (had some uphill to contend with)
            Mile 21 @ 8:01

Looks like the title was very apropos!  Sluggish runs all around, yep, my guess is that we are all feeling the effects of our training AND the weather!  That is everyone except Erika, nice long run!!

First time in a loooooong (years and years) time that I stopped before the end of a workout, I wanted to clear off the speedwork cobwebs so I did 4x2min at 3-5k pace (effort anyhow) and did 2 min recoveries and stopped shy of my normal 47 min run at 40 minutes.  It was really hot and I just felt like stopping.  I always eat a little bit of something but today I didn't get the chance and I was dehydrated I figured the purpose of my run was fulfilled, no sense pushing on just for the sake of pushing on ... always have to run with a purpose.

Can't believe no baby beer yet!

Good night

rs

Troy Strawberry Festival 10k - 6/7/09 - Goal 46:xx -->46:18!!; Americana 5k - 7/4/09 - Goal 21:xx-->21:12!!; Brookville 5 miler - 7/25/09 - Goal-->34:xx-->36:21; Crim 10 Miler - 8/22/09 - Goal sub-1:15-->1:14:14!!; Alter 5k - 9/5/09 - Goal 20:xx-->20:32; AF Marathon - 9/19/09 - Goal sub-3:38 (PR)--> 3:41 (BQ)

Maniac 505

)Wow, sounds like I was one of the few that did my planned workout today. (I planned nothing_

it's my work week,  with my current work schedule,  I usually only do 5-8 maybe 5 days a week after work

today was a no run day.  I picked up my drysuit out of the scuba shop.  $500 for a new zipper but it will sure be nice to be dry next wednesday.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Hi all ----such great news Mary, as I have been thinking of you---- Whew, as I am totally beat. I have a friend named Bruce who is a serious cyclist who lost his very good paying job about a month ago. He feels really really lost right now, as a lot of people do....sure you understand. He now has a cycling trip planned to Alaska to try and "figure" things out, and what life has for him now. He asked if I would like to cycle with him to upper Michigan which would be around 300 miles round trip.....I thought why not---- 347 miles later - in 2 days - I am now home....that was a hard 2 days. But Ya know what.....that was really good for me too, as we talked about life and our future as he is about my same age and wondering about stuff too---- And hey, and my calf did not hurt while cycling...but still sore to walk or run (weird I know) He was recently divorced as his wife left him for another man....I could really relate and felt bad for the guy----- Oh yeah, my calf injury report. After a MRI, I have a partial tear in my Gastrocnemius muscle in my calf....don't even really know what that means. But told it could be a minor tear or a major one....but no real time frame back to running. But my Doc did say this could not have been running related as he asked what kinda trama did I cause to my calf lately....I did not have a answer other than running.....oh well. I will be fine and back to running, I hope this Sat. ----Bill, don't stop posting because of a carpy run or two...that would not be fair to me or the others here at RA!!! -----Oh yeah again, since my calf injury I have signed up for a 10K swim race in about 6 weeks from now...that IS a long swim I know. But me and others can swim in our resevoir every Sat and Sun till the race, and that will work because I can't stand swimmimng indoors with the clorine and chemicals----Goodie Nite all, TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!