Masters Running

Sunday's Daily, 10.22.17 (Read 37 times)

Quickadder

Weather cleared up late afternoon and I ran 5.3 around the local neighborhoods at sunset. Legs were a little heavy, probably from running 6+ yesterday pacing a fast guy half my age - at least that was a really good workout for the 10 miler I’m signed up for this coming Saturday on the same trails.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, up at 0300 to get in a run (easy paced 5) before showering, getting into uniform and heading to the base.  Then spent the next 16 hours doing....well, a lot.

Copy about the "what you were wearing."  For yesterday's race I had on a visor, sunglasses, a light weight singlet (grey top, orange midriff), shorts (navy blue), calf sleeves (one orange, one navy blue--BTW, I'm an Auburn alumn...War Damn Eagle!), regular running socks and a fairly new pair of Asics GT 2000's.

Photos....two issues.  The more minor one is I couldn't figure out how to do (and I had to get up early).  So at some point I'll figure that out.  The bigger (potential) issue is that I just generally avoid photos when I can.  My poor wife accepted one of those 7 day challenges for photos of us together.......most were from two days--when I pinned on colonel and when I assumed command of the 916th Maintenance Group.  So I don't want to make a promise I know I'll have a hard time keeping.

Opus, I think you'll be ok.  It seems unlikely that I'd still be here next year.  If I'm not selected for the job my former boss asked me to send data on it seems very possible that I'll replace another former boss when he retires in June.  The reserves/civil service move slowly....but not that slowly!  If that were to happen I'd be back with the A-10 unit.  And yep, the older coaches did well also.  Hope it's a good visit with DD!

Evan, I had to google it...no joy.  Athlinks had it though!  2:16:10.  But I can't claim that I raced it.  I was there TDY and 5 of us from the unit did the race (including a pilot who saw us in the lobby Sunday morning and joined us spur of the moment).  So I would run ahead of them, get their photos as they came by (got some good ones) then run through the group to get in position to take more photos.  Did that 3 times....and it was getting too hard to get back to the first folks so I finally stopped doing it.  Not sure how much faster I might have been.  Break 2 hours?  Maybe; 10 minutes faster? seems more likely.  Didn't matter, it was an event race with folks I never got to run/race with so the AG placement was a pleasant and unexpected surprise.  You do live in a beautiful area.

Twocats, hope the description above works.  No photos yesterday.  New race and they're still growing it but if they post any with me in it I'll try to get it......and hopefully figure out how to post it!

Need to get to bed, will be another short night.  Have a great night everyone!

evanflein

Falconfixer, yes that is a great run. I see you were right behind my friend Bruce, a very talented runner who is a streaker, over 1,000 days every day now. I ran 2:22 that year and would love to do that again! That's a challenging race, as you know, but a great course.

So today's run started in snow (is that a rule violation?) but as I was ending the snow had ended and the sun was coming out. I ran 10.4 mostly easy miles to DH's office, but I tell ya, even though my pace wasn't hard, my glutes were really feeling the hills yesterday. 32.7 miles for the week, the lowest mileage week since mid March.

metalmancpa

7.2 mile tempo run, 8:08/mile pace, one week out from my "pretty sure I'm running it" marathon. Didn't post yesterday's run of 10 miles at a 9:09/mile pace.

Mariposai

metalmancpa, nice miles yesterday and today.

Erika, congrats to you running hills right after two marathons in two weeks adventure. You are amazing.

Catwhoorg, happy tapering.

Tramps, your biking description wants me to visit you and tribee in the fall.

Falconfixer, you are one talented and fast runner.

Spacityrunner, nice trail HM.

Today I ran the longest distance since my Ireland marathon in June. The wild fires in my regions hindered me to do much running in July, August and September, which is good. After training hard for over 10 years and running 40 plus marathons and a few ultras in a decade, I welcomed the change of pace, I enjoyed the extra hours I had on the weekends to pursue other personal quests instead of being on my feet for a long run, then recovering. Today's 14 miler, was a confidence builder as a marathon runner and moving forward

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard