Masters Running

Sunday Nov 30 runs and such (Read 428 times)

wildchild telemark!? Wow you have much better knees than I do! r2farm normally with Achilles Tendinitis they recommend going in the direction of more stability, often to a motion control shoe. But, if I run on anything other than a neutral shoe I get instant shin splints. So, even though I have had AT I use a neutral shoe. So, there are exceptions to all the rules. Just keep experimenting until you find what keeps you as healthy as possible. Good luck. Sarge ok, I give, what is a "leg lamp ornament?" tetsujin209 I am going with DickyG here. I have no idea how you do it.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

wildchild Sarge ok, I give, what is a "leg lamp ornament?"
      Shocked
      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
        Jlynne the leg lamp lawn ornament is 6 ft. tall Regular leg lamps are 4ft. or 2ft. Twocat that's the leg lamp from the movie A Christmas Story Search A Christmas Story House for the website

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Back from a 5.7 mile run. Odd number I know but just enough to get me to 1000 for the year. Big grin I was gunning for 1500 but was sidelined for 6 weeks so no way to make it up unless I have a really big December Wink I love the movie A Christmas Story. My dad had the same battles with furnaces and changing flat tires. Funny stuff. Wildchild, My son was in Colorado Springs visiting friends over the holiday. He says it is beautiful there. Now back to the boring ol airbase. {{{{{{{{ Erika}}}}}}}} This too will pass. Take it easy and I am sure you will be amazing us with your sub zero training runs, Mountain climbing marathons and mutiple marathons to add to your maniac status very soon. You are in my thoughts. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

A really short 4 mile recovery run at 9:42 mmin/mile pace- sandwiched between a support session at work and a early choir morning at church. 41 miles for the week. Tramps? Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #957

{{{Erika}}} Freezing cold rain here, too, this morning (34 degrees) when I set out, determined to hear the next disc on my audiobook, but at about 3 miles, when the light rain turned into a heavy downpour, I turned back and cut my run short, finishing in the TM in dry clothes. 8.3 miles total, with 5.6 miles outside and 3.7 miles on the TM. I booked my June flights to Seattle today. I know it seems early, but Expedia.com had a round-trip ticket, Dayton to Seattle, for only $327 (tax included), flying at very convenient times for me, and it said, “Only 1 ticket left at that price!” I don’t know if that was true or not, but it convinced me to act now. If no delays, I will arrive in Seattle at noon on Friday and leave at 11am on Sunday – plenty of time for lots of partying to rest up for the race. We had a friend come over and take lots of photos of our family so that we could pick one to include in our Christmas cards this year. 32 photos, and DS had his eyes closed in EVERY ONE! Roll eyes

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

great picture holly even with ds's eyes closed -- and just think in a couple of weeks there will be a new addition!! larry - great job on hitting 1000 miles!! tim - your swimming sounds great -- i really need to get in a pool - i want to do a sprint tri for 2009!! ((Erika)) nice long runs for WRFB, PDR and Perch dickyG - you're doing great - we just keep plugging away the best we can!! me - i am totally exhausted -- was up til 3am talking with a gf who stayed at my house for the reunion --we had so much fun!! now i wish i could curl up with a blankie but i'm off to the supermarket and then church at 5p cuz i just couldn't make it up for morning mass. wishing all my RA friends a wonderful sunday and a beautiful week

denise

evanflein

Geez, I might need to go re-read my post from last night. I must've sounded really down... Honestly, the thing that got me was how hard it was to run almost 7.5 miles. I used to be able to do that without thinking about it but this felt really hard. I'm sure if I'd had a HRM on it would've been in the upper ranges for me, that's how hard it was. And I did slow down a couple times, but running slower is hard for me, too. I did have the incline at .5% which oddly enuf feels like 1.5% on my treadmill at home. Those Precor TM's just feel hard. RE: my foot. Thanks for the concern. Tim, my podiatrist said "2-3 weeks of rest or reduced mileage." I stopped ALL mileage for 3 weeks, so took the extreme on both parts. It did improve, but it didn't get 100% better. It may never, whether I run again or not. The thing will be to control it going forward, and always being sensitive to how it's doing. I have a metatarsal pad in almost all my shoes now, which does help. This morning it feels fine (new definition of "fine") so I'm considering the overnight recovery a good thing. I will be seeing my podiatrist this month (Dec) to get a new re-evaluation after the layoff, and come up with a plan of action/treatment. So.... that's about all I really want to say about it. I appreciate the concern and the hugs, really. But just not running won't make it better, and smart running won't really hurt it (emphasis on the "smart" part). Tetsujin, sorry the Seattle Marathon didn't work out for you (trying to imagine what could happen there!), but have fun at the Pink Door tonight. Holly, was sure hoping you could stick around a little longer... Cute picture of the clan. Twocat, good luck with your recovery. I had shin splints a couple of years ago and just hated it. A bad case can be so debilitating! You're working on a hamstring problem still, right? Good luck with that... Rochrunner was out for a long time with that. Tim, glad you like the pool running. It's the next best thing to running, but it's not perfect. Still, I might keep it in my workout plans for quite awhile... did 15 minutes as a "cool down" after yesterday's run. Still not sure what to do today. Seems like this 4-day weekend went by soooo fast and I still have so much I want to get done.

Marathon Maniac #957

Erika - re house rental with 3-night minimum - I'll still pay for my share of the 3rd night, if necessary. Just let me know when you need some money for the deposit.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

flatland mountaineer

Twocat thanks for the advice, I seem to have run the gamut in shoes. The AT all started when I went to more stability (Brooks Adrenalline) 'cause I could get a good fit with a b width. I was rotating with some neutral trail shoes and Mizuno Nirvanas and the Adrenalines. The Adrenalines are great shoes but pure poison to me. So will rotate Wave Riders and Nirvanas. Do you think its possible for someones gait and shoe needs to change as they progress in this sport?

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

dg.

hi everybody, i've only been able to skim the last few days, & feel like i am totally lost. (ok, even more than usual) i'll post today's workout, & hope to get back later to get a little caught up. this was one of those days you think you shouldn't go but it turns out great.. so what does that say for caution? my shins hurt all evening, & when i woke up this morning. felt carpy all over. but my run was good. 33F, so thought it would be warm but was so windy my face was numb again. but after reading about the freezing rain, it was IRQ. 9.68 miles, 9:38 average pace, 8:07 max, 167 ahr, 179 max. (dickyg we're back in business. help yourself!) the usual warm up & cool down. then to the gym, 30 min. elliptical, 20 min. bike, about 25 min. assorted stability ball things, free weights & weight machines (upper body). stretched. whirlpool. it doesn't sound like all that much but it took forever! I need to find some way to streamline this. may the wind be at your back. just looked. Tramps RR is online!

Renee the dog

Just got back from 3 miles in the rain. I'm soaked. I have 2 more to do. Going to change my clothes, esp. my shoes and socks and get back out there for the remaining 2...puddles everywhere, and I'm a bit paranoid about irritating that blister on the bottom of my foot that is healing.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Some really good runs and such out there today. Tim, I'm glad the swimming seems to be agreeing with you. Good luck with your continued healing. You too evanflein Holly, nice photo...good looking family. Halllar, congrats on 1000! I will fall woefully short...I think I'm around 800 right now. 9 miles for me this afternoon. The first 6 was @10:25 pace the last 3 was @9:26. Similar to r2farm the wind was howling at 40 mph. I don't think the strong wind will get here for some time, though. Wink Carp, back to work tomorrow...... Big grin
                            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Renee the dog

OK, I feel much better now completing what I set out to do! Walt, anytime you want to stop by for clams is a good time for us! Smile Holly, nice photo!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Extremely Swampy. 55 F, 100% humidity, thick fog entire time. 14.1 miles @ 11:05 pace. Ran 6.5 miles due north to check out a park I've never visited. Nice trail through it, except for the ravine. What goes down.... Had to have a short nap after this one. It really tuckered me out.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."