Masters Running

Slippery Saturday 1/18 Daily (Read 42 times)

Good morning good people! Jay must be at the local farmer's market or taking his DW out for breakfast, so you're stuck with me.

Interesting post on the effects of alcohol Ribs. Let us know what you find out. And nice run yesterday - glad you're feeling better.

Hope you had fun last night Holly. It's uncanny how much your DD looks like you. Great picture.

Up early this morning to snag a treadmill at the Y.  As much as I hate running on treadmills, when the weather is as cold and icy as it's been the last month or so, the mill is a good ace in the hole.  6.5 miles, 9:55 pace.  Then 5 minutes jumping rope and 30 minutes of legs and core work.

DH and I are having a date night tonight - dinner and a movie. It's my turn to pick the movie and restaurant.

Have a great weekend everyone.

coastwalker

Mornin' Jlynne and everyone!

You were right, Jlynne - DW and I went to our favorite local dive for breakfast after my workout this morning. Looks like you had a good workout at the Y this morning. Have fun on your 'date night!'

Be careful with that head cold, Dave, and good luck if you make it outside for a run today. Don't TMs already come with all kinds of warning labels?

Lamerunner, I'm glad you've gotten in a couple of good runs, despite your rib issue. Be careful with all the different stuff on the trails up there.

"I'm not drinking any alcohol as an experiment." I'm also not drinking any alcohol as an experiment, Ribs - I'm drinking all mine for the pleasure of it!    Good of you and the Saint to go to that funeral yesterday afternoon - I'll bet quite a few fellow runners showed up.

So nice to have you back, JBG! Good luck with the start of your training next week. And nice deals on the shoes!

Nice lunchtime 10K, C-R. Good luck if you race today. I'm planning on giving away or donating those shoes that hurt me yesterday - maybe they'll be better for someone else.

Thanks for the 'type-by,' Leslie. Glad you got your 5er in yesterday.

Yeah, you do get some nice chaperoning assignments, Holly. How was the show last night?

I love that you are 'running your life,' LaT. Sometimes I feel like no one (or someone else) is running mine!

Hi NHLA: "5 miles 38 min supper is ready" 'Nuf said...

Mariposai, I can't imagine you having a "quiet" weekend. I hope you enjoy every minute of it.

I hope you continue to take advantage of and enjoy your (relatively) mild weather, Evanflein.

I hope your dream comes true too, Tet.

I broke out a new pair of Mizuno Musha this morning, and the fit and felt wonderful. I got in exactly 10.0 racewalking miles under very cloudy skies that diffused and dispersed just a bit o' moonlight over the landscape. I was surprised to see that we are supposed to get 4-6" of snow today - I happen to think they're wrong, but we'll see. I felt a bit sproinkless out there this morning, but I just kept moving forward and had a nice tour of the neighborhood. As Jlynne guessed, after stretching and a shower, DW and I went out for breakfast. Now, I guess I'd better bring in some more firewood, just in case I'm wrong about that snow...

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jlynne - I agree, the TM isn't so bad when the alternative is ice and bitter cold.  Enjoy your evening!

Morning, Jay!

We went to the post office this morning and ordered passports for the four of us - kind of pricey, so I expect we will take at least one more trip out of the country sometime in the next decade, just so I feel I get my money's worth....

Basketball game for DD at 11, indoor soccer at 8:45pm tonight, and another basketball game tomorrow at 1:15.  What on earth will I do with my time when she grows up?

6 miles for me on the TM this morning watching The Bourne Identity.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

...but it's always RoomTemperature in the pool........

(however

I'd rather be outside Freezing my Tukus Off)

===========

..but I digress.......

...........32mprnb

with steps

.................................good running guys.............Mind Yer Footing

ETA-

I hope this dream turns out to be true but it cut nearly an hour off the 7hr/48 marathon in japanese wooden get last week to a 6hr/59`er in the light-weight straw waraji sandals I like and will probably wear if it works out to come back for the tokyo marathon and its 7hr cutoff next month but probably not again (third try).

..................GoodLuck tet-sama

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning everybody!

I started my day with a bit of shoveling...until the neighbor came over with his snow blower.  I hate to say it...but...I think I might have to get one of those dad-burned contraptions.  I've always prided myself on keeping my driveway completely free from snow on just my own power.  Now...I don't really care how it gets done...and I don't even care if you can even see the concrete.  There are too many things to be spending my time on and too little time to spend on the things I want to do.  Did that make sense?  Hmm...it may have even been, somewhat, profound.

Anyway...I was stuck in traffic after work, last night so, instead of an hour drive, it took me two.  I was trying to get home to get my run in before I had to take DW out for her birthday dinner.  Debbie's birthday is January 19th, but she likes to celebrate it all month long...we call it Debuary...well, at least, I do...but not so much around her...  But I got home, did 10 miles on the treadmill--while she experimented with the affects of drinking alcohol--and away we went.  It was nice--but I ate too much.

Oh--so here's a question for you.  I read that when you run on the treadmill, you should set it at a 1% incline to offset the lack of wind resistance...or something like that...so I always have.  Last night I was cruising along thinking, "Wow, this is kind of easy...I'm in pretty good shape."  Then, just over 4 miles into it, I realized I forgot to raise it to 1%...and suddenly, I wasn't in such good shape.  So--my question is--do all of you, who run on treadmills, set it at 1%?  Obviously, it's a better workout, but I feel like I work a whole lot harder to maintain a pace on the treadmill that I have no problem with out on the roads--no matter what kind of wind I'm resisting.

Okay--what else is there to talk about--oh--if my understanding of tetsujinese is correct--congratulations are in order for tet on running another marathon in Japan.  I think that makes 3 in just a couple of weeks?  I'm not sure...I'm still learning the language..

Okay--I guess that's all I've got--good luck to all the other racers and anybody venturing outside for runs, today...or, even those climbing on the old treadmill.  See ya!

C-R

Hey all. No race today Jay. Too cold and too much snow still on the roads. Next week though. Its cross country so it should be good and fun. I'm not much for racing on slick streets. So got a 13.2 on the treadmill watching Arsenal beat Fulham. Glad those current shoes felt good and those others will find a nice home.

Mike - I always set my incline at .5-1% to compensate for outside. Its a ROT but I forgot where I read it. Seems to work. I feel like I'm running downhill if I forget.

The collie/sheltie rescue people came to visit yesterday. Looks like we are rescuing a sheltie soon. The one we are looking to take home is Henry. He's a little older so its always tough to find a nice home but he loves kids, cats and other dogs. So he should fit in fine around here.

Nice movie for the TM Holly.

As TW says - good luck Tet

Have a super day and Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Dave59

I gutted out 12 miles on the ice and snow.  I don't know what physical good it did to run that slow for that long, but it was definitely a mental victory.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/431813576

King of PhotoShop

Funeral.  It was a non-denominational graveside service and very few were there, but of those who did attend, they were mostly the people who run at Andy Brown Park, all friends of mine, who knew Phyllis. I was also pleased to see an 85 year old local runner who is in the Texas Running Hall of Fame. He knew her well from long ago days of fast racing.  Phyllis' family had no idea who he was, so I introduced him and made sure they did.

So this minister gets up to give the eulogy and he asks the group if anyone is there named "Spareribs" and I nodded to him. Then he read my post.  I was glad he did as the anecdote about her doing "the four throws" was interesting to the group and afterwards the family asked me to stay and talk about her and her running. So that turned out to be good.

Alcohol.  Well, all the stuff I could find on Google suggests just the opposite of what I am trying to do.  Moderate drinking, say two a day, is actually better for you than abstention. There was even one question, "if I don't drink now, should I start drinking?"  The answer is no, because it may lead to obesity or addiction.  No kidding.  So if this experiment of one doesn't show any change in my LDL, get the hell out of my way between me and the store that sells IPA.

Blood. I think there ought to be a manual that doctors should read to tell them how to position advice for the general population and another section for runners. On Tuesday when I had the biopsy the dr. told me not to run that day, (which was great advice since I felt like ten heavyweight boxers had spent an hour punching me in the ass), but that I could run again on Wednesday, which I did. He also said I would experience bleeding in three different areas.  So okay for the general population.  But he should have said, "And don't run 20 miles on Thursday or you'll have way more blood!"  It's abating now and I'm sure tomorrow it will have ended, but blood is annoying and it stains things.

Dog.  Today I took Lucy out for a walk and to run a couple of miles to get my 40 in for the week, but she wimped out after a mile.  Lazy dog.  So I may have to go out later for a couple.  That is all the news ye know and all ye need to know.   John Spareribs Keats

Mariposai

Dog.  Today I took Lucy out for a walk and to run a couple of miles to get my 40 in for the week, but she wimped out after a mile.  Lazy dog.  So I may have to go out later for a couple.  That is all the news ye know and all ye need to know.   John Spareribs Keats

{{{Lucy}}}} BTW, we have not seeing Lucy's picture for a while....

So John Spareribs Keats for how long will your no alcohol test go?

I am having a luxuriously lazy morning (Jay, are you reading?) It is almost noon and I am still on my PJ. The only useful thing I have done so far is to change the strap of my garmin (loosing weight forced me to get a new strap since the original strap is too big on my wrist now). Ohh, and I did put the new strap on all by my little self!!!. Yeahhh I am very proud of my wings!

Another fun thing I did this morning was to plan a menu for 13 people for a Mediterranean dinner we are having tomorrow. I am cooking only the dalmas, tabouli, massouka and hummus. My friend Becky will cook the rest of the menu and we will serve it to the team who is helping us organize the Mediterranean Escape fundraiser for young Bobby, who btw is planning to go back for another 2 weeks of intense treatment next week.

Jlynne, enjoy your date night. My DH and I are planning the same. We have reservation for Hidden Hills, a nice bed and breakfast hidden in the hills with great views of the mountains. We are just going for dinner and not staying at the place.

Carpe Diem, my friends (btw, writing Carpe Diem just made me think of cAAsadimus who used the word often. I wonder what happend to him. bAAby must be an adolescent by now.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

5 miles of smiles in sunshine and 40F?  Forgot my Garmin, forgot my music, but had my dog.  Now to clean the house, well maybe.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

evanflein

Ha! Nancy, we got up late and are just getting going on breakfast! But... I've done the dishes, laundry and cleaned the cat pan. That'll have to do for now.

Daave posted on the annual miles thread, so he's still around. That bAAby should be 7 or 8 now? I remember him being passed around at Ragnar Del Sol home base. What was that... 2008? Wow, seems like so long ago.

Have fun on the date night, Jlynne! What movie are you seeing?

Holly, when she gets her drivers' license, you'll find you'll have more time to yourself. Without a car.

C-R, nice to foster an older dog. He sounds like a nice one though. You'd think a lot of people would want a dog that was more mature and less goofy than a puppy. The cat we adopted is 14, and besides being a really pretty kitty, I knew her age was against her getting adopted by anyone else. She's kind of set in her ways, which aren't all good, and she doesn't get along well with Midnight, but she's ours.

Yeah Ribs, most people wouldn't think of running 20 miles ever, must less the week of a procedure like that. Take it easy. Poor Lucy, it sounds like getting to 40 miles sure wasn't on her to do list!

We used to go out for breakfast every now and then. When I worked at Nordstrom, it wouldn't get busy till after noon most Saturdays, so I'd take my "lunch" early and we'd go have a nice breakfast somewhere. That was fun. Now we live kind of far away to go out for breakfast, it's easier to go somewhere for dinner after work on our way home.

And yes, Jay, I plan on taking advantage of this stretch of mile weather while I can! Nice to have a three-day weekend with nice weather too. Usually it's colder than crap this time of year! I'll get out for a run later, in the daylight for a change! A high of 20° today, and less wind. Nice!

Sunshine and 40??? None of that here I'm afraid ....30's overcast, rain that turned to heavy snow!!

Fortunately we finished our 13.1 miles before the rain turned to slippery snow -- avg pace 9:30 with turning my Garmin off at water stops and trying not to stop for too long -- twice I went down to recovery heart rate tho -- need to work on that!!

Today was one of our hosted runs and we all ran with Megsmiles in mind!!  Such a preventable tragedy!!

Have a wonderful Saturday evening my friends!!

denise

Marathon Maniac #957

Mike – You live in Minnesota – no one will think you are wrong to get a snow-blower! We don’t get near the amount of snow that you do, and my DH still says buying a snow blower is one of the best investments he ever made. You can use all that extra time for running.

And the TM – my TM is always set at 1.5% incline – it doesn’t go any lower than that.

Dave – on ice and snow, I consider that twice the workout.

Tomewhite – a room-temperature pool is way too cold for me….unless the room is somewhere on the equator…

C-R – a new furry member of the family – always nice. 

Ribs – most doctors are only barely aware that real people actually run 20 miles. Glad the blood loss is abating.

Mariposai – why is it your posts so often make me hungry? You’re getting as bad as Twocat…

Erika – remember, only 6 more weeks until March..

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

Moderate drinking, say two a day, is actually better for you than abstention.

Thank goodness for this.

Interesting week of posts I just got caught up on.  The relationship stuff was a little sad and made me appreciative (again) of how fortunate I am in that regard.

Hope Ribs gets good news this week, lame's ribs are better, and all the other bumps and bruises heal up.

Holly--your clone daughter is adorable.

And Mike, get a snow blower.  End of the season deals will be coming up soon.

I've been spoiled for years working at home and having total flexibility about when I run.  Now I'm trying to figure out how to get runs in and still make meetings at work, etc.  It's gonna take a while.  So far I've been failing miserably but I'm cutting myself some slack as I figure out the new work routine.  I'm also learning how to work mobile--cell phone, laptop, etc--which I haven't really had to do.  Old dog, new tricks.

Easy 5 again today.  Looking forward to a longer run and a couple of terrific football games tomorrow.

Be safe. Be kind.

NHLA

18 miles 3 hr 34 min.  Green River Cove Rd.  Its 4 degrees warmer at the bottom of the gorge but its a scary 3 miles drive strait down.green river