Masters Running

Terrific Tuesday, March 9 Runs and such (Read 601 times)

skimming, skimming -- gotta run to a meeting in a minute...

no butterfly hugs for me -- ran 10 this morning at recovery pace.  Maybe next week I'll try to run a bit faster...

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

wildchild

Carolyn

Twocat, I totally agree - Girl Scout cookies are dreadful.  People just buy them to support the kids, but rather than pay $4 per box, people might be willing to pay the 75¢ the troop gets to keep, and forgo the cookies.  But that might be seen as begging for money.   Of course, the Girl Scouts do that too - they used to ask us troop leaders to solicit the parents for money for donations, but we never did.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

I like DLS because I never run in the mornings anymore.  So an evening run, although harder to prepare for nutrition wise, is very enjoyable.  And it makes you feel like summer is here.  Holly I think the whole DLS is for commuters, to maximize the time they are spending in rush hour in daylight, to minimize accidents, but if you look on wikipedia there are other proposed benefits.

I joined Brownies and lasted three weeks.  Sitting on a gym floor singing songs was just not my thing, and I couldn't wait the six months until we got to do something cool like camping.

Got off to a rocky start today as my DD got hysterically upset at her brother who was outside the car teasing her.  Then I found myself yelling at him too, geez, hope the other parents didn't hear that.  Why can't there ever be peace and tranquility in our family, especially first thing in the morning?

6 miles for later today.....gonna wear tights because I don't trust the forcast, yesterdays 47 turned into 43 with flurries.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mary - you are simply a genius!!  Thanks!

Craneium - NICE RIDE!!!

George - congratulations, proud Papa!

dg - OK you can stop tapping now - you must be tired after that nice run!   I had just decided over the weekend that I was miraculously cured and could resume everyday runs.  Can't blame me for trying, huh? 

I didn't do Girl Scouts, but I do admit to having a past Girl Scout Cookie addiction (back when they were $2.50/box and several of my co-workers were selling cookies for their daughters - someone should do a survey to find out how many Scouts and not their parents actually sell the darn things).   Frozen thin mints were a favorite. 

Stupid meetings and other work-related junk getting in the way today.  I had to miss yoga and am hoping to sneak over to the gym later this afternoon for an exercise fix. 

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Ok gang somebody explain to me why you find Girl Scout cookies at all tempting.  I am lost on this.  Cookies, really good ones, are easy to make.  They are even easier to buy.  In my occasional Girl Scout cookie samplings I have never found them to be all that good.  When forced to get them I basically leave them in the office for others to take.  I am generally stunned to find them gone!  Why, why, why are people encouraging the mass production of bad cookies? 

I'm with you. The only Girl Scout cookies I even bother with are not even cookies. It's the Edy's ice cream, Samoas (I will not call them Caramel deLites). And even that would be sparingly. My DW's cookies are way better.

Thought I would share this with the group. DW just changed jobs and therefore offices. Her old job was running the fitness centers and doing health promotion for Xerox. Her new job is similar, but her office has changed. She used to be in one of their fitness centers, and she really liked some of the motivational posters on the wall, especially one that had red rock in it. We recently did some hiking in Sedona, and her birthday is on St. Patrick's Day, so I thought I would take a picture from there and turn it into a motivational poster for her new office. It is DW doing pushups in the photo.

Cranieum.......Awesome!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

That's cool Cranieum!

Tramps.. I thnk you are faster this year than last Smile Awesome 6 mi tempo!

Some tempo effort on hills today to get the lungs screaming. 8 miles total in 1:13:26 (9:11 pace) including 4.4 miles hilly at 8:50.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #957

Craneium - that rocks!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SteveP

SteveP

Mariposai

Craneium, that is one awesome birthday present!!!! I would love to see her face when she opens her gift.

If I am going to sin with a cookie, I am going to sin big and with a style. .

I made this for Sunday's party and it was well liked.

http://www.reneesgarden.com/recipes/lavender%20shortbread.html

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Too bad Tag doesn't get along with the grandkids

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

dg.

awwww.     SteveP, I meant to say too, thanks for the pictures from DS's 19th bday party.    What was Noah sitting in?

Craneium, how cool.     How does she like it? 

Lou, 10 at recovery pace?   Do you really recover with that long a run?   Not that I'm running enough days to need one, but I want to be ready just in case. 

Eliz, I'm glad you are back.   I was wondering about you.

Sue, "decided over the weekend that I was miraculously cured and could resume everyday runs" that's more or less just what I did last Friday!   

One more picture comment... Jeanne, that picture of Will is so preciousl  I was looking at it the other day, thinking about all he went through.   What a sweetheart...   makes me want to hug him. 

Marathon Maniac #957

SteveP, I meant to say too, thanks for the pictures from DS's 19th bday party.   

Me, too!  Me, too!   I totally forgot to tell you that, thanks Dg for reminding me.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Renee the dog

Craneium - that rocks!

<rim shot>

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!