Masters Running

Monday July 31 (Read 38 times)

mrrun

Starting the daily because the wall street journal has an article on race walking

https://www.wsj.com/article_email/this-guy-walks-faster-than-you-run-1501326003-lMyQjAxMTA3MzMzMTczOTEzWj/

and now for our regularly scheduled start-up by jay!

Tramps

Thanks, Marj.  Nice article and useful video.

Just exercises and core work today for me.

Be safe. Be kind.

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thanks for posting that article, Marj. A friend sent it to me, but I couldn't open it. The guy featured is amazing, as are the rest of the racewalkers of his caliber. I could make lots of excuses, but the bottom line is that the fastest I ever walked was about 3 min/mile slower than he does. Given his speed, I sure can't fault his form. However, the coach in me looks at his arm swing and thinks it is too wide on the back swing, and too far forward in front. He's right about injuries - almost every racewalker I know who has been injured (including me) had done it to themselves, mostly through over-training or over-racing. The most common injuries are hamstrings. It is almost never hips, despite what non-racewalkers conclude about the impact on hips.

Mornin' Tramps.

Sunday’s workouts & races:
        Holly (4.1 sunrise miles along Rt. 66 in CO, with elk sightings)
        Twocat (4.663 mile local race, finishing 6/24 in AG)
        RunnerKSA (10.2 miles in gorgeous weather)
        Spacityrunner (3ish neighborhood, late-morning sunshiny miles)
        Tramps (early 46-mi. rural bike ride with TriBee)
        Stumpy (5.56 miles with hillage)
        Tomwhite (35 min RC on the soccer field in heat)
        Tammy (7 pre-heat morning miles)
        Henrun (walking for every other day routine)
        Rochrunner (3 outbound walking trial miles, then 3 running miles back)
        Wildchild (wet walk & sprint with DH)
        Mike (EZ 6 miles)
        Mariposai (3 mile post-dinner ride on new bike)
        Pfreiese (60.3 bike miles)

Belated Happy Birthday, Jlynne!

Great run to start your vaca., Holly. And terrific photo with you and DD and DS. I hope DH is adjusting to the altitude.

Nice improvements in the local odd-distance races, Twocat. I hope you enjoyed the graduations party.

Congrats to DS on his Olympic distance trip win, RunnerKSA. It is too bad that your sister and her family didn’t participate, but you are right that some people just don’t get it.

Good job of toughing it out, Spacityrunner.

Great job on the bike, Tramps - sounds like a wonderful ride.

Enjoy Maine while and when you can, Stumpy.

Post-run naps are the best, Tammy. Sorry you have no escape from the heat this week for your college tour.

Henrun, I also hate dreadmills, which is why I refuse to own one - I’m afraid it’ll make me lazy, and make me less willing to take on whatever weather is out there.

Welcome back, rochrunner. We contemplated bring back some fresh food from our recent trip to Canada, and chose not to because of fear of what happened to you. Congrats on embracing cellphonelessness.

I’m glad you had fun in the late rain, Wildchild.

Enjoy your rides on Carmen, Mariposai.

Extraordinary bike riding, Pfriese! Enjoy your rest days and the rest of the journey.

Sounds like a great time tubing with DGS, Tet. I hope you got some rest on the train.

Despite the fact that it is the last day of the month, and my last chance to add to my July total, Monday is an SRD day, so that's what I did.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

My WSJ is ready to go to work with me, so I'll read the article!

3.1 to start the day and maybe finish out the month unless I feel inclined (see what I did there?) to do some on the treadmill after work.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Marathon Maniac #957

Good morning!

Paul - that is some serious mileage!

RunnerKSA - congrats to your son and I agree about your sister.

No run for me today, not enough time to get one in.  We are heading out at 7:30am to go rent a 4-seater offroad vehicle for a half-day of wandering some trails.  They apparently just turn you loose with a map (after signing the disclaimers, of course).  Should be fun!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

catwhoorg

Labrat

Off work today and tomorrow.

DD starts school tomorrow, but the school system her pre-K follows starts today, so they are onto the new year, new class. So we are at home for the day.

Did 8 this morning before we get to the stuff to do list.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

BTY

Good afternoon all,

Work Party at the cemetery was successful!  We cleared an area about 3,000 feet square of sumac and nasty vines and dragged them away to the ravine at the back of property. What would have taken my partner and myself several weeks of chipping away at it for several hours at a time was accomplished by the 5 of us in 4 hours.  Now to work on a way to keep it all from coming back!  It's on a very steep hill, so mowing isn't an option.

1 mile of walking and 4 miles running in this beautiful upstate summer weather.  It's in the middle 80's now but there's a breeze and the humidity doesn't seem bad at all.  4 miles in 35:29.  9:01 / 8:48 / 8:42 / 8:48.   Averaged about 8:50 overall and am as happy about that as I am about 17:49 out and 17:28 back.  Of course I'd be reeeeally happy with a 4th mile faster than the other three but I'll take it!

Good Running to you all.

TammyinGP

did the cemetery work party look anything like this:

Image result for scenes from thriller

now that might be a fun party!!

probably no running today. hoping for a few hrs in the early morning hours tomorrow before we leave at 10:00 to head up to the northern part of Oregon. but that'll likely be it until the weekend. just too hot.

Tammy

Thanks for starting us off, Marge.

Paul, I have never done those kind of miles on a bike, and that's not exactly flat terrain! I'm currently reading a book called A Hole in the Wind about a cross-country journey. Unfortunately this guy went east to west and -- as the title indicates -- rode into strong headwinds much of the way.

Ran 4 miles this morning in comfortable new shoes that I actually bought when I was out in Omaha in early May. They're from the Brooks Ghost line and may be my new standard for shoes, replacing the Adrenalines I've had many pairs of. Tomorrow will be my usual bike ride with the guys and I'll be solidly back into my usual routine for a while.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good afternoon all,

Work Party at the cemetery was successful!  We cleared an area about 3,000 feet square of sumac and nasty vines and dragged them away to the ravine at the back of property. What would have taken my partner and myself several weeks of chipping away at it for several hours at a time was accomplished by the 5 of us in 4 hours.  Now to work on a way to keep it all from coming back!  It's on a very steep hill, so mowing isn't an option.

just sayin'

Image result for goats grazing

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

...to quote a Famous Runner

(Ellen Degeneres)

''my mother started Walking 5-miles a Day,

it's been 6-months

and

we don't know WHERE the Hell She Is''

=============

but I digress........

mid 80s here

4x10=40-min

.........Wishing you Good Work-Outs

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

evanflein

I like the goats idea! Someone had some goats behind our museum last year, cleaning out grass and weeds growing between the rocks that had been dumped there in a very unfortunate landscaping decision. If you're going to dump big rocks somewhere, cover the ground with weedblock fabric or something first! Nice job, BTY, on cleaning up the cemetary.

I can't believe how fast some race walkers are, and that includes our own Coastwalker.

I can't believe how hot it is where Tammy lives and is going. Really? Portland OR at 108? Incredible. GL with that.

Happy belated birthday to Jlynne! New age group, right?

Just shaking my head at the bike miles Pfriese is racking up. Holy smokes, that's a lot of saddle time!

Love the pictures from CO, Holly, and glad to hear DD is enjoying it (because that increases the odds that you are, too!).

I didn't post yesterday after my run. Crazy busy day for a Sunday! Ran 13.1 miles of the planned 14 and that was good enough. Last few miles were brutal. I seem to have gotten really sensitive to the heat and direct sunshine, didn't used to bother me so much. I was melting out there and it was mid to upper 70's with full sun. Drank almost 30 oz of fluids and still down 4 lbs. Then DH and I cleared more of the trees and brush he and DS2 cut a couple weeks ago. Getting tired of looking at that stuff. Then we got a big meatloaf ready for the grill, one of our favorite dinners, and had DS2 over for dinner. He turned 23 on Friday but was in Valdez over the weekend, so we had him over last night.

4.4 miles today, and a 4 minute break to wait for a moose to get off the path. She finally did and trotted off into the brush when a big truck went by. For as many as are around here, I don't get stopped by moose very often.

Marathon Maniac #957

Catwhoorg -early start for school (i thought DD's school was early, starting 8/9/17)   - is it on a year-round schedule?

BTY - well done!

Tammy and Kevin - snork!

Erika - happy birthday to DS!

Jlynne - happy birthday to you!

So, the off-road thing went well, I guess.  Personally, I thought 3 hours of bone-rattling bumping on extremely rocky trails was not so fun, but the kids enjoyed it a lot, so that was good.  Afterward we had lunch and went back in the park to do a short (1.8 mile round-trip) hike to Alberta Falls.  The park has a wonderful shuttle system, so we parked at the Park and Ride 3 miles before the trailhead and took the shuttle so we wouldn't have to fight for parking.  The trail is listed as "easy" on various websites, but that is really not true if you are overweight and not very fit, so DH struggled with the many steps (and the 9200 foot elevation) and declared that tomorrow's planned 3.5 mile round-trip hike to Nymph, Dream and Emerald Lakes was not for him.  I talked to a fit-looking couple who said this hike, rated as "moderate" had quite a lot of steps and elevation gain and took them nearly 2.5 hours (including viewing stops) to complete, and I agree DH should not try it.  DH would prefer we forego any more hiking and find activities "that we all can do" but I am loath to completely give up hiking just because DH is unfit.  DS and I really want to go.  So, I think DH will drop DS and I off to hike in the morning and come back to pick us up after, but this is likely the only hiking we will do this trip.

I admit I am a little peeved.  Does this mean I have to spend the rest of my life never enjoying hiking in beautiful places because DH can't/won't?  Being in a place like this just makes me want to explore as many trails as I can. While I still can.  But maybe I am just being selfish.  (sigh)

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this, Holly.

You are not the one being selfish.

Be safe. Be kind.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this, Holly.

You are not the one being selfish.

+1. Seem to remember something about not running, too.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.