Masters Running

Thursday February 12 Runs, Swims, whatever ..... (Read 672 times)

Non running question for Breger.... I have googled and I am not having any luck. I will be in Pompano this weekend. Are you familiar with that area? Can you tell me what is inbetween Boca and Pompano. Is it an isolated stretch of beach? I am from the Melbourne/Palm Bay area. We are attending a concert in Pompano and want to stay over in a hotel North of Pompano. South of Pompano, Lauderdale area, I have found tons of hotels but nothing maybe 5 or 10 miles North. Regards, Jewels
    But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
      EGH3 – what’s a Chuck Taylor?
      Smile

Slo

Hey SLO_HAND, I signed up for a 1/2 Iron Man on July 11...so you will have a Tri Buddie here at RA too. I will have to admit, I will not take this race as serious as in the past, because my main focus will be training and running Marathons....but will still compete, that's my nature if I race anything. May even race a few sprint Tri's too, I wouldn't even have to seriously train for them...those are a blast.
        Cool.......I'm doing the Pigman 1/2 Iron distance here in Iowa on Aug 16th. The Sprints are like 5ks.....show up and race and still get your long run the following day. Good Luck and Race Hard always !
          Jewels, Most of that area along the beach north of Pompano is condos, private residences, etc. There are no "isolated areas" anywhere along the beach down here. You might look into the Royal Flamingo Villas. That appears to be a little north of Pompano and decently priced (meaning not outrageous). There are plenty of hotels around, especially if you have a car. What concert? Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

It is Thursday isn't it?? LOL Peter - you are confused. Lots of daffodils up around here too. The past few days of warm temps have really got them confused. Lots of wind here today too, mostly west and south but blowing steady at 28-30 mph and gusting to 50. Even so, the sun was out and the temps in the low 60s this morning so I went ahead and ran my medium long run. I'm glad I decided to go ahead as it turned out to be a good run. 12 miles in 1:33:56 for a 7:50 pace. That actually felt quite easy for most of the way (except for the parts into the crazy wind). I managed to keep from being blown into anything and as an added bonus ran all 12 miles without a bathroom break. This may not seem like much, but it's huge for me. Had absolutely no dairy yesterday so I think that is the ticket. lame, best of luck with your shot tomorrow. I hope it takes away all residual sciatic pain you are having so you can get back out running regularly. Holly, I hope you are feeling better soon. I remain envious of your run with CNY even if it was short. Ribs, good to see you ever so slowly inching back up to the 40 mile mark. Your patience is inspiring. I find it very tempting to simply pile on the miles without taking the time to do it slowly, but I know that is a big mistake. Your example is terrific - it's helping me to take it slowly and easily. BTW, here's my song (or part thereof) for the day: Well, Im running down the road Tryin to loosen my load Ive got seven women on My mind, Four that wanna own me, Two that wanna stone me, One says shes a friend of mine Take it easy, take it easy Dont let the sound of your own wheels Drive you crazy Lighten up while you still can Dont even try to understand Just find a place to make your stand And take it easy I like this song for easy run days. MTA: George, I noticed the same weight loss thing happen to me when I was out for several months with ITB problems. I started cycling a lot and lost weight without trying. I think that changing up your aerobic exercise really helps with weight loss. Good to hear that you are feeling good and seem at peace with waiting out the shin thing.

Once a runner . . .

Marathon Maniac #957

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I'm at work so I can't turn it up too loud, but man they still sound great! Thanks for posting this Holly. I have got to go see them next time they are in town.

Once a runner . . .

Marathon Maniac #957

The doctor told DH today that he will not release him to go back to work for 3 months, so that the cartilage in his knee will have a chance to grow back. This was news to us – we thought he’d have no more than a month off. He has just barely 3 months of sick leave built up, saved from working 12 years at the county, but I hate to see him deplete it all. We’d have done things differently if we had had any clue this would be the result. For one thing, he’d have done it during the summer, thereby saving us childcare costs and letting him hang out at the pool with the kids. I guess he won’t be getting the other knee done next year after all... Sad

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Slo

Wow Holly.....That seems ultra conservative on your doctors part but whom am I to argue. How soon does he start PT ?

Marathon Maniac #957

The doctor doesn't want him doing PT, says no weight-bearing exercises at all, just leg lifts. As I understand it, DH had a divet in his cartilage and that bone was almost rubbing on bone. The doctor wants that to grow back with nothing damaging it. The problem is that, at my husband's workplace, when you return to work after a surgery, you have to pass this test: crouch down and lift a milk crate with 100 lbs of sand in it, carry it across the room, and put it on a shelf. I think that's ridiculous, and that there are some employees who couldn't do that BEFORE surgery, but the doctor says no way is DH going to do that without damaging the cartilage unless he waits 3 months.

Slo

3 months........No way could I handle that. I wish him a speedy recovery !

King of PhotoShop

Since the number of girls who slow down to take a look at me is so great, I have long been familiar with that song. Actually, the song lyric that ran through my head this morning when I logged on here went like this, "I didn't know what day it was, you held my hand. Warm in the month of May it was, and I'll say it was grand..." But I see that Peter has been forgiven and no one is going to shoot him, not even Lorenz Hart. 5.5 miles today, starting outdoors in the park, stretching at the Y, then adding a short jog on the indoor track. An interesting thing happened to me today. While I was jogging on the indoor track, which circles the gym below, one of the fitness instructors down on the gym floor saw me, stopped his group's workout and yelled up at me, "Faster!" I couldn't resist, and dropped down to race pace on that tiny circular track (14 laps to the mile). Well, it felt wonderful. I doubt I breathed any harder, and it was the first time I have run fast since last spring. I am going to carry that image with me all day, and it has made me even hungrier for the day when I can begin to train. Spareribs
                          dg.

Good Morninging Masters ! I've had our dog......err....my son's dog out for a few runs over the last week and half. There is now a new word we can not say in her presence, which was discovered when I informed my youngest DD I was going for run. It's just a matter of time before lacing up my shoes becomes the trigger.
                            So nice you're still doing that! When I started running where I can't take my Sadie, I finally ended up leaving the house in my sandals & changing in the car.
                            TammyinGP

I wasn't confused until I came here. Had me second guessing what day of the week it really was Confused I'm going to the gym at lunch time today. I was pretty darn productive yesterday and got to work a little after 7:30 this a.m., so I'm taking the liberty of a longer lunch hour, and not feeling guilty about it.

Tammy

Good afternoon, all! Meg - one of my favorite Eagles tunes - now I'll hear it in my head for the rest of the day. No daffodils for me this year - the ones I bought last fall are still sitting in the garage. I need to smack myself good for that oversight. 6.5 hilly miles - yes, I braved the wind and did my UConn/Avery Point route. Felt so good to be on the road again. No turkeys on the run - just Canada geese and seagulls. Had a morning dental appointment that cut into my yoga practice - so I did savasana while I was reclining in the dentist's chair. Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous