Masters Running

monday july 28 daily (hot) runs and stuff (Read 1280 times)

we're having a heat wave here in sweden (and we like it, yes we do...) - which means getting out as early as possible, though it was still plenty hot. and beautiful! 5.36 miles and a darn good speed for a slow poke like meSmile 1 hour 15 min, average speed 14 - but faster with each mile - best mile with nasty hills was 13:20, so i'm really pleased. forgot to say... followed by required fjord dip in tropical fjord Smile good runs, susan

Marathon Maniac #957

Nice run to start us out, Susan. Dave59 – Yahoo Calendar works pretty well for me, but then I transfer events to the big calendar hanging on the side of the fridge. Pfriese – 67 miles on a bicycle! How long does it take you to ride that? It took me 90 minutes to ride 16 miles yesterday, and I thought I was going at a brisk clip. Of course, I realize that my mountain bike is not exactly built for flying. The kids didn’t catch any fish yesterday, but had a blast just casting over and over. DS told me it was the most fun he’d had in ages. Fishing – who’da thought? Roll eyes No run for me today – light x-training instead: front raises, lateral raises, dead lifts, shoulder presses, bench dips, seated bent-over raises, hammer curls, weighted squats, butt-blasters, various crunches, wall-sits, and planks. First time I've done weighted squats or dead lifts in a while, but neither seems to hurt my injury, which is more groin than hamstring. Happy Monday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Good morning! Nice low HR 4 Magical Healing Miles with Tory in 41:04 (10:15 pace, AHR 133)

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #3309

Thanks for the start off Susan, and nice run.....AND there are no slow pokes around here Smile Sorry you guys didn't catch any fish Holly, but sounds like it was a blast. Do you wear your HR monitor when you cycle to see how hard of an effort you are riding at? Nice X training....what are "butt - blasters" Confused Erika, super 17 miler at a very good pace yesterday Smile My keyboard is broke again at home, so I couldn't post my runs over the weekend. So quickly, Sat - 15 mile wave run in very H&H conditions, with 3 miles at 8:00 pace and 2 miles at 7:30 pace. And Sun an easy 7 miles in the same conditions, but shorter distance made it more tolerable - 8:58 ave pace. Question for you guys....every since I got my new running shoes a little while back, I have had more pain than usual in my heels - ankles - calves - Achilles. Has anyone ever bought bad shoes that were the exact some brand and model. Don't get me wrong, I am not injuried - at least yet, but this soreness is bugging me. Well, need to get some paper work done this rainy Monday morning. Have a great day all Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Perch is a trend setter as I also had a 4 mile recovery type run this morning. Four miles at 9:29 pace as the fog lifted to reveal blue skies. 62F at 6 AM when I headed out. All good and legs feel great after yesterday's 19 miler. Off to Albany, NY to meet with my colleagues (only 6 of us in the firm) for our monthly planning and strategy meeting. One of the principal partners of the firm will be celebrating one year since prostrate cancer surgery and he just got an "all clear" from his doctor. A good day all around. Tim, I have definitely had a bad shoe experience. Sometimes the same make and model will be tweaked slightly in its newest release. I have even taken shoes back and the running store usually lets me turn them in for a different pair or model. This has happened to me with Nike a whole lot. They tweak their models each year and sometimes that's enough to mess with my gait and then soreness leads to injury. Happy Monday to all Karin
              6 miles recovery pace. This was definitely an HR Zone 1 day. Avg HR 125. I've never had any shoe problems within the same model year. But going from one year to the next, the shoes can be significantly different in the same model. Kinda like cars. Planned obsolescence. But you'd think with shoes they wouldn't tweak them too much year-to-year since there is a built in obsolescence due to the mileage. A car may last 5 to 10 years. Shoes only last 300 to 500 miles usually. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Dave59

It's a nice morning out there today (60°) and I went 4.3 miles total with 4x4 minutes at a hard pace. It felt like a lot more work than it should but I got it done.
                Question for you guys....every since I got my new running shoes a little while back, I have had more pain than usual in my heels - ankles - calves - Achilles. Has anyone ever bought bad shoes that were the exact some brand and model.
                I've never had that happen but it's entirely possible that something could be wrong. Maybe they were the first pair off the line one day and they didn't have the midsole mixture right.

Tramps

Susan—seems to me heat waves and fjords would go great together! Did you notice yesterday that Evanflein is so popular she’s getting calls in the middle of her runs from would-be running partners?! (Great run, Erika!) 5.2 miles at 9:00 pace today with a nice 127 AHR/63% . Temps were a bit cooler (67F) and humidity was a much more confortable 78%. It felt like I was in…oh, I don’t know…South Dakota or Alaska or something. Wink I forgot to mention my interesting (at least to me) discovery during yesterday’s run. I headed out a different way than I usually do, taking a road that is usually much too busy to run on. Along the way, about two miles from my house, there’s an historical marker half hidden by bushes. I’ve noticed it driving by but had never stopped to read it. I assumed it was another of many local Civil War sites…”Union soldiers camped here…” sort of thing. When I ran by, I finally got to read the marker and, of all things, it turns out it was the site of a 1920’s health food factory and store! Jethro Kloss, a Seventh Day Adventist, opened it at the same time as he was experimenting with creating soy-based food products—soy milk, tofu, meat substitutes and the like. He was also beginning work on a book later published as, “Back to Eden” about herbs, natural foods, and holistic health that was hugely popular, selling over 4 million copies (and its revised edition is still in print 70 years later). Who knew running could be so educational? Smile

Be safe. Be kind.

Good morning, all! Susan - nice run - way to conquer the hills!! Tim - I haven't had any problems with new shoes of the same model/year, but as some of the other posters noted, there can be a tremendous difference when they "upgrade" the models. I'm pretty disenchanted with the new Nimbus 10's. I've only run 125 miles, and the tread has already worn through the outer sole into the white layer on the toe of the left shoe. Most of my miles in these shoes have been on the rubberized track and treadmill. Grrrr! We took a lightning hit last week during one of the several thunderstorms that have been barreling through CT lately. Knocked out one garage door completely, and we have to hold the button down on the other to make it close. Lost all power in the dining room, half bath and part of the kitchen. Luckily it didn't affect the oven microwave or fridge. Of course, our electrician is on vacation, but at least it doesn't involve anything critical. The thunderstorms that went through yesterday morning kept us off the trail until almost 9:00. The scheduled 20 miler turned into a hot and sweaty 15 miler. I can't imagine how hot it would have been if it hadn't been overcast. A bit cooler but still humid and foggy this morning for my hillly 7 mile run. A slow run @10:37 pace with a 147 average HR. Core and upper body weights scheduled for the lunch hour. Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

DickyG

Saucks beat the Yanks 9-2..as Popeye would say "how embarraskin'"...also, if there are any other NASCAR fans in the group, I thought that yesterday's race was the most boring I've ever seen..all those "competition cautions" took everything out of the race...and another thing....oh wait, this is a running forum. As usual, the Sunday long runs were superb...Breger (12 miles & 78 degrees), Perch (16 miles & 75 degrees), Tramps (18 miles...about 80 degrees), Lou (19 miles and I'm sure it was 70+ out there), Larry (10.5 miles...also probably 70+), PDR (18 miles & a 48 mile week), Karin (19.5 miles...so what else is new), busiman (15.5), Evanflein (17 miles with a sore toe), Timbo (15 miles in the heat). You people are my heroes. Ribs: I've seen a couple clips of Jersey Boys on YouTube...I'd love to see it if it ever comes to Roanoke, Greensboro, or Raleigh. dg: Great run...that's absolutely super! Look...I'm sending over my 13 lb. Shi Tzu (Billy Bob) to guard you while you work in your garden. Dave59: Yeah...your cell phone. Since I started using the calendar on it, I don't bother with Outlook anymore...and there's also the NASCAR calendar on the fridge... Holly: I have no idea what any of those exercises are, but I'm exhausted from reading your post. Ran 4.1 miles on the hills this morning...9:18 pace..about 10 seconds/mile faster than my previous post-injury best...definately getting stronger...running harder and walking less. Gas is "down" to $3.60 around here...folks are talking about how cheap that is..gimme a break. DickyG

Hill Runner

Good morning all, weather.com said that it was 77 F this morning but it really didn't feel that warm...maybe the humidity was lower today. 10.13 miles of hills @ 9:02 pace then I jumped in the pool and accidently forgot to remove my 305. I got nervous but realize that it's supposed to be somewhat water resistant. I was only swimming for about 10 minutes when I noticed it. Good runnin' to all today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                        Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                        Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

fjordrunner and a "heat wave" in Sweden is just how hot exactly? Wink Holly S. any sort of ETA on when your injury is likely to be over and done with? perchcreek not a double digit run? Smile Of course there was yesterday's hilly 16 miles . . . biketm nice weekend runs. As to the sneakers, assuming you have the exact same model as before: no manufacturing process has defect rate of zero so it is possible that the sneakers are bad. But, I would bet you need a two or three exercise break and that your body is just trying to tell you that. CNYrunner nice 19 miler yesterday. Have fun at your meeting. Geez you travel as much as Ribs does! breger1 good recovery run after yesterday's 12 miler. Dave59 nice speed work. Tramps lol I have to start looking at more markers when I am running! Nice 18 miler yesterday. SueT48 nice long run. Alas, in CT, last year was the year of spectacular weather all summer and this year seems to be the year of the thunderstorm. It looks like more coming later this week. Sad Yesterday nonoruns nice 8 miler. Continued best wishes in dealing with your parents. stumpy77 a not quite satisfying run still beats a day at the office! Smile tomwhite own their own mountain? DickyG when I find out where that 4.84 mile race is your record is going down! Big grin Getting up early to run dumb? Shocked What are you crazy! Big grin Oh yea, GO YANKEES! Sarge nice run with DW. Spareribs yep, good to have friends like that around. WRFB some days 20 is just not in the cards. Still 19.25 is pretty darn close for "bonking!" Aamos I should tell a group of friends I run with that I am not the only one crazy enough to use the word "just" along with "7 miles." munchkn883 I used to have terrible insomnia so I have some sympathy for a "not able to fall asleep" issue. I hope you at least got a nap in. halllar nice double digit run. mirko good 9 miles and despite some rain. dg. let me add my congratulations to your finishing your longest run ever! pdr good job on the 18 miler and your highest weekly mileage week since March! HandyMom first time ever runs on days back-to-back very nice! Try it again next week! You will find each day's run becomes a lot easier. lyndenrunner I love relays - how about few more details? tselbs hehe, I have done that! Once on a thread from a month prior! Hope your 10K was a good one! busiman 15.5 at a good pace. enkephalin what is this like some pact about not giving up details about the relay? Wink I going to get my editor after you and lydenrunner! evanflein and an impressive long run for you too! Even splits are the name of the game in distance running. Nice workout. mainerunnah nice run, and it sounds like you are having the same thunderstorm de jour weather we are getting down south of you. Me Yesterday I went for an easy 7 with my DW to get in some miles and recover from the race on Saturday. It turns out I finished 2nd in my AG which gets me a few points towards what would be a futile quest to win a t-shirt at the end of the season. They use some official USTAF scoring system and the top three in each AG gets a coveted "Elite Finisher" shirt. My chances of winning one? About the same as my chances of winning the NYC Marathon in November. Sad Today was my first run with my TP since we both got back from our travels. I ran down to the local racket club to meet her we then did 10 together, and then we split up about a mile from my house. I ran home she ran back to the racket club. Altogether we each did about 14. After two weeks of recovery it is getting to be time to get my miles back up so that I am ready for that marathon I hope to win in early November. Ok, in my dreams! But maybe a PR . . . Big grin Good runs to everybody today.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

....what are "butt - blasters" Confused
                            There are more than one way to do them, but this is how I learned: Start on knees and elbows. Raise one leg up behind you, raising the foot as high as you can toward the ceiling, then lower. For me, I do 10 with foot flexed and 10 with toe pointed toward ceiling – that’s one set. I do three sets on each leg. If you really want to make them harder, put ankle weights on. Twocat – I have no idea. Never having had an injury of this sort, I can barely believe that it’s taken this long (4 weeks). I tried running Saturday and had to stop before 2 miles, yet I can bike and use the elliptical without seeming to bother it. Thank goodness for my free 30(+) - day membership to a local gym. Smile Nice AG placement on Saturday, btw. Hey, when are you going to be able to tell us more about that award you won a little while back?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly, I had a question about the award in the Missoula Marathon RR so I put the details there. I am impressed you, or anybody else here remembered this little bit of trivia! All I can say is you all have far better memories than I have. My DW claims that if I ever get Alzheimer's nobody will know. Cry

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I taped up my ankle and went out for a run with my running partner. 5.4 miles in 58:57 (10:55 pace). Didn't feel as easy as before my injury, but it wasn't too bad. My 10K race is Saturday. I'm planning 4 miles on Wednesday, and then maybe a mile on Friday, just to warm up. I may walk a little during the race if I have to - no sense in being stupid! Dave, my life is crazy, too, with three kids, a dog, and a home-based business! I'm also financial secretary for our church, and treasurer of our homeowner's association (where our cabin is). I use QuickBooks Pro for bookkeeping, and a weekly planner (DayMinder) to keep track of all our commitments. It breaks up the day into 15-minute increments. I'm a little leery of the computer after my hard drive crashed.