Masters Running

It's Monday,May 11th WDYDT (Read 603 times)

Slo

WDYDT "What did you do today?"..........or outsiders may ask "Why do you do that?" I'll leave these up for a little while for Timbo to see. My Garage......Training Grounds A Fast Ride A Faster Ride.....upside down Whats Missing ?

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Nice garage set-up, Slo. Bigggg pictures, though. Big grin No run for me today, just some light x-training: lateral raises, bench dips, flies, lying hammer curls, dumbbell presses, lunges, glute squeezes, leg lifts w/ankle weights, face-up and face down, stability ball crunches, and 4 chin-ups (separately, one at a time). I love my new Iron Gym. Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Slo

Bigggg pictures, though. Big grin
        Sorry.....Fixed. Forgot to resize for message board.
          Whats Missing ?
          An English book?
          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Renee the dog

2 mi walk with Renee last night. 1 mi walk with Renee this morning. Doing mountains of laundry. OK, I finally found the info last night that I alluded to in yesterday’s daily. So what Fitzgerald said in Brain Training (very condensed, hope I keep the nuance right) is that he encountered new research that suggests that “underfueling the body during running workouts may trigger more pronounced fitness boosting adaptive response” compared to taking in carbs. Glycogen depletion triggers IL-6 release. And IL-6, according to him, is believed to facilitate many of the body’s adaptations to exercise training, ranging from increased fat-burning capacity to improved cognitive function. Then he notes that other “studies” have shown athletes who consume carbs during exercise are able to handle higher training loads than those who don’t. So his conclusion is to mix it up during long runs. Some fully-fueled, some underfueled, with the optimal balance unknown in 2007, when the book was printed. No notes available to point to the studies. But logically, I think exactly what SR wrote yesterday makes sense, and doesn’t contradict anything above:
            Certainly on your training runs you can take these to see what your stomach can tolerate and what your body will respond to, but my position is that once I know those preferences I would rather do training runs with as little supplemental stuff as possible simply because you can train your body to function without it, and then when race day comes and you do use them, you will be far more comfortable and strong.
            I esp. like the "comfortable on race day" idea. Smile

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

I'm with Tim in that my 20 milers are always supported by GUs and Fig Newtons. (Water is always a given). Rarely if ever on shorter runs do I eat anything during the runs. I believe our Summer has begun in earnest. The rainy season has another couple of weeks before it kicks in, but the requisite heat is here. Planned Rest Day today. It felt good to sleep in. 9 hours worth. I think yesterday's warm and tough Marathon Pace run did me in. The body is ready for a break and a taper (whatever "taper" means on this "all-quality" program). Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Slo - nice pics and great assortment Rest day for me...maybe some light core and stretching, foam roller Back to eating light and healthy after too much food and desert for Mother's Day. Less than two weeks before the marathon and would like to still lose a pound or two. Hope everyone is feeling great. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Tramps

No notes available to point to the studies.
                  I hate when authors do this. No excuse. Thanks for posting the follow-up nono. I see by yesterday's run Busiman is ready to rock in Vermont! Easy 5; a little cooler and drier and (surprise) I felt better.

Be safe. Be kind.

Watchless recovery 3 mile run at 7:15 am. Legs were a bit stiff, but not bad after two miles. 46º on this bright and sunny morning. Interesting comments about water, gels and such yesterday. Great info. Nono---I like the mixing it up part. FWIW I carry water with a Nuun* tab dissolved in there for runs of 12-15 miles and that’s all. For runs of 15 miles or more I’ll carry water (in a hand held bottle carrier) and take s-caps (with a gel or two in the carrier pocket just in case). For a marathon I’ll take s-caps and gels/shot blocks in alternating segments and just drink water. I also carry a small throw-away bottle of water for the first miles so I don’t need to deal with water station bottle necks. Gatorade and all the variants make me sick to my stomach. Years of experimentation and adaptation finally led to the right mixture. Tramps---I am still hoping…Bruins, Red Wings……please, oh please! As for the Penguins…well, we saw Sid the Kid play as a junior in Ottawa and Pierre McGuire used to be the asst. coach at St. Lawrence (where I worked in the ‘80s). I could live with that. WRFB and PDR---I read that you are Corning bound on 10/4? See you there! Nice photos SLO! What's missing? Cars? http://www.nuun.com/
                      I see the fuel on a run discussion continues on. It seems pretty clear most of the people here would rather train with as little as possible. If it makes you happy go ahead. As I always say nobody pays us to to do this so do whatever lets you enjoy the sport as much as possible. As for me, I will stick to the view that absent anything definitive one way or the other there is no way to know if training with or without fuel on a long run is better. Spareribs will point out (and correctly I should add) that we are all different and should experiment. Nothing is wrong with that. Still in this case, I am pretty skeptical that if you do or do not find a "big" difference from training with or without fuel that you are experiencing anything more than a placebo effect. But, to each his own. More importantly as a friend of mine remarked about the placebo effect in a conversation about pain treatment, "Placebo effect? Bring it on!" The point being if you feel better who is to say you do not! Smile Very true. So if you feel your training goes better without fuel and you are not risking your health (meaning you carry water or have access to it) go ahead. Me? I would rather be happy during my training runs and that means not feeling tired from fuel deprivation after mile 14. Want a story as to why using fuel is better for training? Ok here is one, with little more or less evidence to back it than those in the opposite direction: If you fuel you train harder which is ultimately what counts. Also, you train your body to absorb and use fuel while running which makes it easier for your body to do so during a race. If you do not get used to absorbing calories while running then come race day the stuff you take on course takes longer to process in your digestive system. Again, this is nothing but a story. But then so are the arguments in favor of not fueling during a long run. So take your pick of whichever story you like best. evanflein I hope you get cleared to run again "real soon now." It does seem like you are getting close. About that sitting, if it hurts it seems hard to believe it is a good idea. As to the water belt issue see my note below to Tramps. If you only tried a Fuel Belt you might try Nathan or some other company's product. Personally, Fuel Belts feel loose on me no matter what. Nathan does not flop at all but chafes. I currently use an Amphipod. It stays put and does not chafe. But I find getting the bottles clipped in to be rather tricky while on the run. Heck even while just standing! Tramps I had to experiment with a number of different brands to find one I like. You might try that as the various manufacturers produce rather different products. busiman International Long Run Day (ILRD). Cool

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Tramps

Tramps---I am still hoping…Bruins, Red Wings……please, oh please! As for the Penguins…well, we saw Sid the Kid play as a junior in Ottawa and Pierre McGuire used to be the asst. coach at St. Lawrence (where I worked in the ‘80s). I could live with that. WRFB and PDR---I read that you are Corning bound on 10/4? See you there!
                        1. Maybe the Caps will get inspired by that Bruin win and pull one out tonight. If they would just stop putting it in their own net in OT... Roll eyes 2. That Nunn stuff looks interesting. I may check that out. 3. Wineglass was on my radar until I conducted my very scientific study. I checked the average temps on race day for ten races I was considering and found this (low/high temp). RANKED BY AVG TEMPS 1. 11/28/09 NCR Trail, Sparks, MD 32/46 2. 11/22/09 Philadelphia Marathon Philadelphia PA 34/51 3. 10/17/09 Green Mountain Marathon South Hero VT 38/56 4. 10/18/09 Bay State Marathon Lowell MA 39/59 5. 11/14/09 Richmond Marathon Richmond VA 39/60 6. 10/11/09 Mohawk-Hudson River Marathon Albany NY 40/62 7. 10/4/09 Maine Marathon Portland ME 41/62 8. 10/11/09 Steamtown Marathon Scranton PA 43/63 9. 10/10/09 Hartford Marathon Hartford CT 42/65 10. 10/4/09 Wineglass Marathon Corning NY 42/66 I'm leaning Bay State now for an early race; NCR or Philly for a later one. Of course this is a total crap shoot. Richmond's high was 79 on race day in 2006 (my first marathon); 50 the next year.

Be safe. Be kind.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Slo--A car? Nice little run yesterday. The kids seemed to have both computers tied up all day, so just a little late. Managed to keep my pace down a little and made a complete lake loop. 3.1 in 33 minutes. Got to put my recovery run in perspective at the end. I met a friend that I haven't seen in ages out running with her dog. I was about to be rude and ask if her head scarf had any serious meaning when she told me that she was in chemo for ovarian cancer. Things were feeling OK that morning so she was out to run. The good news is that she got diagnosed and treated early enough and the prognosis is positive. Makes just being a little short of breath seem a lot easier to deal with.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

King of PhotoShop

Today is recovery day, not that I need much after just 8 yesterday, but I had a dentist appointment this morning followed by a client call so I ran a slow 2 at the Y and came home to find my call is postponed. Nono and Twocat made good points about the supplements on long runs. I think a lot depends on how you wish to feel during the LR. When I have taken supplements on a long run, I always feel super and can bash right through it, and when I don't take them it's often a slog. So maybe Nono has a good idea when she suggests you ought to do them both. You simply must be able to run long and steady to run the marathon well, and you can train your body to endure running absent any supplements and go longer and longer without them, so running without them will at least help you to push that limit. That said, if you have a training run where you want to run the final 8 miles of a 20-miler hard, you might find it easier to do if you took in something. Another consideration is your objective. When I ran the marathon I was trying to do it as fast as I could. Others may have a different objective in that for them, finishing the marathon is the goal at any speed, and I understand why they would want to make that easier on themselves. I'm hoping by this fall I can run 20 miles, taking in nothing but water and Gatorade (or some similar electrolyte replacement drink) but no GU or gels, or stuff like that. But assuming I get to that point, I may then want to run 20 miles at some set pace, where I am going to use up all glycogen and burn calories like mad. I can see wanting to take a supplement in that case, but I would do the one exercise before attempting the other. Spareribs
                              Good morning, gang! Slo - what a nice set up - my DH would be jealous (so am I as a matter of fact). twocat - I used an amphipod last summer and had trouble with the water bottles - I lost several on the trail and only recovered one. Seems hard to believe that one would fall off and not be heard, but it happened repeatedly. DH kept replacing them for me, bless his heart. I used to be a purist and not consume anything but water on long training runs. I now take gels fairly regularly, and I think it makes a difference for me. The Salmon River Trail Run (5.4 miles) was a blast - albeit it hot and humid blast. I was definitely not prepared for the heat and humidity. Average heart rate was 180 - combination of hills, heat and humidity. I just missed an age group award - placed 4th out of 11 in my age group. Interestingly, the 2nd, 3rd and 4th place finishers in my age group placed 102, 103 and 104 overall. One of the ladies I was following kept looking back and would speed up whenever I caught up with her - now I know why ;-). She came up to me as I finished and told me the neon green singlet I was wearing made me easy to spot - I'll have to remember that - maybe I should wear camo next time?? The organizers provided a wonderful picnic - pulled pork, grilled chicken, smoked salmon, hot dogs and all the trimmings- following the run. Jesse and I did an easy 6 miles Sunday morning - in gale force winds. DH surprised me and helped with the raised beds. We did the stone work following the race on Saturday and then filled the beds with dirt yesterday. Now I have to get to the nursery to pick up some plants. 7.25 hilly miles this morning in IRC - I'm enjoying the 40 degree temps while they last. I haven't felt this sproinky in awhile.

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Top 'O the World!

Whats Missing ?
                                a treadmill? oh, & "regular garage stuff" (mechanic's house here...)
                                I love my new Iron Gym.
                                Wink
                                Things were feeling OK that morning so she was out to run..... . Makes just being a little short of breath seem a lot easier to deal with.
                                So True!! I'm still experimenting w/what my stomach will handle in any given situation..have all of that stuff...temps & effort make a HUGE difference and my system isn't all that tolerant anyway... Roll eyes....90 mins isn't enough digestion time for a half bagel & banana on a warm day...
                                Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group