Masters Running

Sat. Oct 3, the 1st weekend of the Fall Racing Season! (Read 483 times)

The Fall racing season has arrived and a number of us are racing tomorrow.  You are all in great shape and are sure to run very well.  Go Fot It!

Sometimes when you're training down here you never think the weather is going to change.  It's always the same for months on end.  But eventually it does, and the latter part of this week was it for this year.

74° and 76% made for a very pleasant running day.  Just in time for my last LR.

Tinman wanted 20 miles at MP plus a minute.  So that would be anywhere from 9:19 to 9:35 depending on who's doing the MP predicting.  I decided to run easy and not check the watch and try to feel MP + 1 minute.  I ended up with 21.15 miles at 9:19 overall pace.  I picked it up (a little) for miles 18, 19, and 20 just to see if I could.  I ran these at 8:55 or so.

A good one for sure!  Felt great throughout.  Avg HR 143.  Kewl.  Taper Time!

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Slo

I wish Awesome Races to everyone !

Mornin Bill.......Interested in a Fender Highway One series Strat ? I'm going to be posting it sometime this weekend.

A very couple of soggy and blustery days here. A rainy night for the H.S Football game. We are now 6 - 0 !  Last nights homecoming game.....45 to 0.

No run.....I did 20 minutes on the elliptical after work last night, another 20 minutes this morning. I'm planning on doing some spinning in the bike trainer tonight.

And.....it's a work day.....A work weekend actually.

Nice run, Bill.

I too feel a sense of "racingness" in the air for those racing this weekend. (Is that redundant?)

Looks like my setback has been taken care of....I'll be in Hartford next weekend, rather than in Schenalbany. (Thanks, Karin and Holly, for getting in touch with me)

Easy run planned for later.

Good running to all running today!

Walt

Luck to all that are racing today.

Bill,

Great last long run! That should make you very confident for your upcoming race.

Another easy three for me this morning on my way back. The legs actually feel pretty good and mentally I am ready for more. I will hold back yet for another week or two before I start back building.                                                             Building for what is the question. Not sure what I am going to do from here.

Larry 

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

dg, that was a nice run you had in yesterday's rain, cold, and wind.  I didn't feel guilty about using the TM until I read your post.

breger, nice long run this morning.  You nailed  your goal pace.  nono, good job on the speedwork yesterday in spite of the ITBS.

This morning, it was in the mid 50s with a light rain.  The combination of not liking yesterday's TM run and knowing that dg went out in this weather, I did 5 miles outside.  It took about 48 minutes for a 9:35 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Good morning good people. Bill - great run this morning and nice quick pace on those last three miles. Imagine how fast you'd be running in cooler conditions year-round. I think you ought to move to Wisconsin!

Slo - good approach to coming back from that shin injury. How's that new bike? What a rout on the football field last night. The team always plays well for Homecoming, don't you think?

Walt - glad you found a marathon that you'll enjoy. Good luck next weekend.

Larry is on his way back!  Glad your legs are feeling strong and you're ready for longer distances. Build for anything (or nothing!)

Tom - you didn't "wimp out" by running on your treadmill. You're just smarter than the rest of us! You must be experiencing the same weather as we have here. Got in 5 miles before the skies opened up. I wasn't expecting the rain (or the wind) and wasn't dressed properly. It was one of those runs where I just felt chilled to the bone so I cut it short and headed home.

Now, off to farmer's market to get some apples, squash and brussel sprouts! Have a great Saturday everyone.

Slo

Mmmmm Squash.

I just picked up a couple of Acorns squash last nite along with some Butternut Squash. I love Butternut Squash soup.

I grew my own Brussle Sprouts once...a very strange plant.

King of PhotoShop

SLO, you seem to be doing the right things to recover and help that injury move on out.

Really proud of Breger's effort; great finish.

Today I ran a 15K race and I had no idea what pace I should run.  This is a big race for the Dallas Running Club and I wanted to do my best.  I looked up my 24:12 fiveK from a couple of weeks ago in McMillan as I have no benchmarks for recent performances at this distance and the calculator said I could do the race at 8:21's.  That seemed awfully optimistic to me but I thought I would try it.  Nailed mile one at 8:21 and then just kept clicking them off. Finished in 1:17:47 for a 8:21 avg. pace and a 3rd AG award, so I am very happy right now. Every one of these races and workouts is a new adventure for me.  Spareribs

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

SLO, you seem to be doing the right things to recover and help that injury move on out.

Really proud of Breger's effort; great finish.

Today I ran a 15K race and I had no idea what pace I should run.  This is a big race for the Dallas Running Club and I wanted to do my best.  I looked up my 24:12 fiveK from a couple of weeks ago in McMillan as I have no benchmarks for recent performances at this distance and the calculator said I could do the race at 8:21's.  That seemed awfully optimistic to me but I thought I would try it.  Nailed mile one at 8:21 and then just kept clicking them off. Finished in 1:17:47 for a 8:21 avg. pace and a 3rd AG award, so I am very happy right now. Every one of these races and workouts is a new adventure for me.  Spareribs

Congratulations!! I have so much admiration for those who can plan for a race and follow through..(I have to do a lot of learning still to do there)...Great pace and AG placement!!!

On my own running front, I think I'm skipping today, a bit of pain in my thigh, a slight adductor strain I suppose, and I don't want to make it any worse given all my  short term goals, a 12h at the end of the month and the Seattle Marathon at the end of November , with a few extras thrown in as well.

Good runs and good weekend  to all!!

Francesca

Nice Race Ribs!  If you clicked them all off at 8:21 you have more where that came from.  Good job.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Nice one Breeger!. Just a couple weeks now!

Spareribs... you sure have been racking up the hardware just a year after surgery!!  What an inspiration you are.  Pretty kewl you hit the McMillan pace dead on and got 3rd AG.  Keep it up, you're on a roll!

My knee was stiff and I didn't want to screw it up (more) and the second race of the three race series was today.  Compromise..... ran the 10K with 8:30's pace first half and 7:40's second half. Finished 50:21 (150/434OA, 7/16 AG). It was fun doing striders and passing runners like they were standing still and then passing them at steady clip the last 1.2 miles. That was fun! (finishing all 3 races you get a nice embroidered jacket worth about $120. Great bargain... 2 down 1 to go...)

Charlie Engle is biking the Furnace Creek 508 mile bike race which is partially along the same route as the Badwater Ultra (which he placed 4th).   If he finishes under 36 hrs he  will be champ for the Badwater/Furnace combination.  You can folllow him at: www.charlieengle.tumblr.com

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #957

Breger – great last long run!  I'm really hoping we can run some miles together at Columbus.

Spareribs – excellent race and very nice pacing!

Perch – nice racing for you as well, and wisely done!

Dg - my e-mails to you keep bouncing back to me.  I tried again from my Yahoo account.

15.05 miles for me today:

3 miles at (9:33 ave)

10 miles at (8:32 ave)

2.05 miles at (9:58 ave)

Now off to make some of that spicy Thai peanut slaw for a family cookout we’re going to.

I’m excited for the racers tomorrow! 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Wow, Spareribs!!  That is so cool.  Great job!

I'm just trying to stay relaxed, since tomorrow is my second HM.  I have no idea what to expect!  It's raining today (I feel sorry for the poor kids running in a big meet north of here - thank goodness DS's coach decided not to take his team!).  The forecast for race time is 61 degrees and cloudy - not bad!

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

0533. 67°. 91% RH. 16 character building miles. Two weeks to Indy!

Liz, darn, we will miss you.  We are going up Saturday to see the Solar Decathlon.

Teresa, I hope you have a blast tomorrow!  

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

wildchild

Carolyn

Congrats on the good races for Spareribs and Perch, and the long runs for Bill, Holly, and Rosie.

Good luck tomorrow to our racers - Beers, CNY, Teresa, and whoever else is racing.

5.5 untimed miles with Tazzie and Ladybug today.  Sunny and 52 when I started, cloudy and 48 when I came home.  I was feeling a bit warm in my long sleeved shirt at the start and was wondering what I was thinking, but by the end I decided I dressed just right!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.