Masters Running

Sat May 8th Daily Runs - Workouts - and Rest for Some (Read 610 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning everyone.....

So eloquently put Tet, on Fridays thread last night about Twocat and running the race with his DW....a lot better than what I tried to say.....

twocat.

Even though it will be way slower than your DW, I hope the last year’s taper and recent run-walks

will allow you overcome your competitiveness so you and DW will be able to share

all the same race day experiences together, albeit at different paces and times.

The anticipation of the start, settling into a comfortable pace/position,

aid station encounters, hills, weather, finish line sprint, having fun, etc. 

are universal and have nothing to do with being fast or slow.

Burr, pretty chilly here this morning as I am heading out on my run after while. Was 80 degrees and sunny here yesterday - cold front comes through - this morning around 40 something and pretty windy.....guess that's better than hot huh? Now it's......what to wear - what not to wear....considering it's been very warm here already.

Funny about how we think about long runs sometimes - Last week was my "shorter" long run weekend and I kinda dreaded it. This morning is a 23 to 25 mile long run and I am looking forward to it......but it usually just what we set our mind to doing on any given day.

Hope all has a great day, and I will check back when finished running all over town 

Go Tammy, and all others running long....and racing!!!

Jeez, Holly has already been at it for a couple of hours......

TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

biketm I see the duct tapes shoes.  Yep, must not have a lot to do!

Not sure what will happen today.  Looks like an hour or two of rain right when the joggers club meets.  Then a sunny afternoon!  But there are those muffins to give away.  This week banana chocolate chip in one batch and cinnamon, apple and raisin in the other.

Why am I posting at 7am in the morning?  Bored out of my skull writing computer code.  Why am I writing computer code at 7am?  I have no life . . .

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Rain here too, 2cat. Nevertheless I got out for five easy this AM, which turned out be quite pleasant.

Off to get the girls. Good runs to everybody.

Walt

Nice shoes Tim.  But I really think you need to go buy a new pair.  Those have about had it.

No cold front here.  Probably won't see one of those till about November or December or so.

I took the last few weeks of Tinman's Boston plans for me and tailored it for a short Bayshore prep plan.  For Boston today was 18 miles with the last 6 at tempo.  But I knew that wasn't happening in this weather.  So I downshifted that plan to 11 miles EZ, followed by 6 miles at MP, and a final cool down mile.

I had almost decided to bail on even trying the MP miles.  But then I met up with a faster runner at a water stop and he helped pull me along for the 6 MP miles.  Couldn't catch him, but I kept him in sight.

MP's run at:   8:36, 8:23, 8:26, 8:17, 8:10, and 8:19.

Very pleased with this, but there's no way I could do that for 26.2 in this weather.  Traverse City should be better.  Total of 18 miles at exactly 9 minute mile pace.  Same pace I ran Boston basically.

My training week goes from Monday to Sunday.  But if I total up last Sunday through this monring, I ran 61.85 miles.  Wow!  Haven't done that many miles since the old Pfitzinger days.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Good Morning Men of RA

7 miles between t-storms at 6:30 am for me. Soaked, but silly with puddle jumping and lots of splashing involved. Mini-speed workout sprinting between terminals in Cleveland last night----so happy to be home at least for the weekend. Off again on Monday, but more running with RA and KR pals, so it's all good.

Nice pacing Bill---watch out Bayshore!

Interesting duct shoes Tim---I saw that crack about women and duct tape by the way. Don't make us prove what we can do with it.

Hi Twocat. I do hope you'll be beating me at races one of these days soon as that will mean you are back and then some. 

Nice peppy run the other day Walt and good miles today---looks like you'll be ready for VCM! Have a great time with your FADs.

Speaking of duct tape......dg! Holly and I should have just come on over when we were together. Count me in as well young lady.

Dave59

A cold and very windy 10 miles this morning (which is a long run for me.)  And now a busier than normal Saturday so I better go get cleaned up and ready.  Good runs to everyone.

dg.

Oh, good!!   Karin, do you like tofu?     ;-).    ...     well, 3.25 miles at the gym this morning so as flat as it can get.  10:20 average pace so just about as slow.  ok?     I thought about you this morning.   There was a double rainbow just as I was going in, & I was wearing our pink Newtons.   thought maybe it was omen.   not sure of what.  Smile.    And now I really am going to rest because I think somehow that's a key to this.  I really don't know quite what to do, that's the latest idea.    thanks for the threats. 

Tim, I almost started the daily this morning, & was going to do just what you did... copy Tet's post!   Smile    btw, Karin is right.

Nice Byll!

Twocat, was thinking about you too.  but that will have to wait (will mention that I found a Valu-Pak of lassos....)

& speaking of code mine worked!   it is about time.  thanks PDR, I think it was the good luck you sent that did it.  -)

Wanting pictures from the baby Beer visit.

gotta go.  good runs & all everybody!

Slo

Nice shoes Tim.  BTW....there is a slight chance that I will be doing the Muncie Endurathon. I'm helping one of my buddies train for Lake Placid Ironman and he wants to do Muncie.

Bike ride in the wind and the rain and the cold. My feet.....I think they're there.....feel like stubs.

Run later......

Way to much talk of duct tape lately. You know, you can fix anything with duct tape and WD40. If it moves and shouldn't.....use duct tape. If it doesn't move and should...use WD40.

Kimmie

Great, easy 10 miler with a friend.  Ran about a 9:30 pace.  Weather was cloudy, muggy and windy.

Like the duct tape shoes, Tim

Bill-  I'm from South Florida.  What part do you live in?  (we may have already discussed this in Boston, but I forget)

I'm impressed with the rain runners.

I feel a little lost after Boston- not sure what's next.  I know I want to run Steamtown in the Fall, but I think I need something in the interim to keep me focused.

Mother's Day 5K in the morning.  Pretty sure I'm going to run it, but DH and I are going to a wedding tonight, so....

we'll see... no matter what, it won't be fast by any means.  It's a super hilly course, but beautiful.

Beautiful 3 hour window between storms this morning for easy 5 miles w/DW.

Tet to Twocat,  very well said.  Keep your chin up Twocat. 

Byll nice week you had

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Bill-  I'm from South Florida.  What part do you live in?  (we may have already discussed this in Boston, but I forget)

Ft. Lauderdale area, Kimmie.  How about you?

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Slo

OK.....I'm about to do something that could be stoopid.

There's a Half Marathon tomorrow morning.....Stoopid thing #1. It's Mothers Day

Stoopid thing #2. My Marathon is Next Sunday.

I have a planned 13 mile run tomorrow anyway....what can running in an organized half hurt right ? Can I toe the line and make it an easy 13 miles? Or does my competitive nature overtake common sense and I go race the damn thing?

I really really need to practice patient pacing......this would be a good trial right?

So....I'm pretty much already commited. My ride is picking me up at 5:30am.

Slo_Hand yep pretty stupid!  Go for it!  Well, not go for it just well run it but not too seriously.  Anyway that is what biketm and Tet are telling me!

dg. I am soooo jealous!   My code is still kaput!

CNYrunner given how spectacular a runner you are and your dedicated training I suspect that I will be lucky to line up at a race with you again let alone see about keeping up with you.  But, I am not dead yet!  So you never know!

The rain held out for this morning's gathering of the Joggers Club.  DW ran about 4 miles on her own since none of those who typically go at her pace showed up today.  I did 6.8 miles also on my own because nobody in their right mind would want to run the "intervals" I am doing!  After we got back all the muffins went except for one apple, raisin and cinnamon.  I guess that depends on the definition of "went" seeing as how I ate it! 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

My code has been running nicely lately.

Slo, run the HM as a MP run.  Dial in your planned MP and run it.  BIG confidence booster when yuo get done and have energy to burn.

I forgot to mention earlier ... DS's GF got the Vet Clinic job in Sarasota.  Woohoo!  Yay Kristin!

Overposter Bill

King of PhotoShop

SLO, turn this bad idea into a great one.  Make a commitment now to run your first mile at a slow pace, don't look at your watch and let everybody go.  Then pick it up to your goal MP and run right at that pace, NO FASTER!  You should be fine next week.  Good luck.

Bill, very nice mile splits.  These "tweener" periods, right after a marathon and just before another one, are difficult to judge, but you sure are handling the work well.  Kimmie makes the same point, not being quite sure what to do.  Just stay fit, and Michigan's cooler temps will see you to a great time.  Trust in your fitness.

Just 5 easy for me, although it felt like a slog.  Gives me back to back 50 mile weeks and I feel great.  Spareribs