Masters Running

Sat May 8th Daily Runs - Workouts - and Rest for Some (Read 610 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Well, I had good intentions to go run a 6K race this morning.  But considering the the amount of time I spent with Max the wonder dog on the couch in the middle of the night and the thunderstorms still rolling through about the time I would have left for the race, i decided hanging out with Max was where I needed to be.  It's supposed to clear up later today, so Max owes me a little time by the lake.  Don't think he'll object too much.

Nice long runs for Byll, CNY, Kimmie, DAve and many to follow.

It's supposed to be 40's and a little windy tomorrow and I'd like to do at least 7.  If there are no T-storms overnight, I should be able to pull it off.

Happy Mother's Day to all the running AND non-running moms out there.  Whether we fathers acknowledge it or not, you're the reason the vast majority of our society functions.  I know that's the way it is in our house.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Kimmie

Ft. Lauderdale area, Kimmie.  How about you?

Bill

I was born in West Palm Beach, raised in Lake Worth and then lived for awhile in Boca Raton.   We've lived in northern Virginia since 2001.  Love it up here but definitely miss Florida.    Ever run on A1A?   Used to be my favorite.... then jump in the ocean at the end.  Smile

evanflein

Hey Byll! I'll be in Ft. Lauderdale/Boca Raton in September! Same conference I go to most years, a couple years ago it was in WRFB and PDR's neck of the woods. Would sure be fun to see you!

Go do the race, Slo! Spareribs gave the instructions, follow them and you'll be great. It'll be a good tune up for you.

Kimmie, I always wallow around after a race with nothing else planned. I have lots of series races throughout the summer, but would like a marathon in there somewhere. There's something in mid-July where DH could get some good fishing in, too, that looks likely.

Kevin, I'm sure Max the Wonder Dog appreciated you hanging around instead of running some dumb ol' race. 6k is an interesting distance.

Hope the long runs are going / do go well this weekend. You guys tuning up for your races are doing great. Byll, Bayshore will feel so good after the heat you're training in.

Nice day here, I'll get out for some miles later. Interesting thing is I have a general idea of how far I want to run, but no real plan. It's a strange thing, sort of like what Kimmie is talking about. I think 8 sounds about right for today, and maybe 15 tomorrow. But we'll see.

Mariposai

Good morning gang, well, good afternoon for some. What a great day for running. Byll, look at your pace, I can't wait what your next marathon gives you. Are you still following the reverse taper plan you had before? How do you feel not having your coach's guidance?

. I can see that  all the Boston runners are well back into recovered mode. Speaking of  races,

I can't wait to read Francesca's RR.

A very relaxing day for me today. I went to a spa with two girl friends, had brunch together to celebrate being a women. Since of the three of them I am the only "mother" they really pampered me. When I returned home there was a bouquet of flowers waiting for me. DS#1 had it delivered for me from Poland. Of course I cried!!

Now I will work in the garden, then I shall run around 9 miles. I am still trying to find my legs...I think I left them in Wenatchee.

dg!!!!! thanks for finding the lassos for us. The situation is getting worse...with the "king of patience" running 6.5 miles today we may be looking at catastrophe if he decides to run  that 10k tomorrow.

Stumpy, that wonder dog is a lucky one to have you as a dad!

Erika, when is your next race? why 15 tomorrow unless you have another marathon coming up soon?

Edited to take out the blank space on the original post.

Way to go timbo, you are now ready for your ultra!!!! when you run a bit farther than marathon distance, you should write a fashion report too...

[[[[misbehaving codes everywhere]]]]

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #3309

In short....I had one of my greatest LR  workouts ever.....in the worse conditions for me............WIND 

26.6 miles - 4:05:58 - 9:15 ave pace.....

The wind was horrendous /  relentless and it was cold out....and the wind really pissed me off at times. I had a really great run going at 13 miles and was at 1:51, and was not working hard at all (was just going for a easy training pace) Then the turn around point had me running into such strong winds, I really....really felt like I couldn't move forward. I actually started thinking who I could call to come get me because I had a hard time moving forward, but then "sorta" got my butt into gear.

I made it to within 5 miles from home and then I turned, and the wind wasn't a factor anymore. I had legs to spare.....guess my long runs and training plan are working....and I ran strong the last 5 miles home at my BQMP or close

to it....

mile 22 - 8:10 pace

mile 23 - 8:14 pace

mile 24 - 8:06 pace

mile 25 - 8:23 pace - ran rough trail

mile 26 - 8:06 pace -

mile .6 - easy cool down

I can't believe how great I felt after this run, and I gallivanted up my stairs like I nothing. I had a neighbor ask....how far did you run this morning? I said little over 26 miles and he said...............no really   ....love that.

Ya know I don't really swear that much....but when I get pushed watch out sometimes. But when I was trying to run into the wind, and it was fighting me to no end......I stopped at one point and was cursing - throwing the F bomb out there which I NEVER do - throwing rocks - kicking the dirt , all while cars were passing me thinking - WTF

Ok....time to feed the belly. I have some very interesting tidbits to add to my post....good stuff actually.

Hope Holly - Tammy and Laura's LR's went well    ....that's a lot of pretty Wimmin's 

Hands still cold TimBo

PS: Think my 4 "big as my head" pancakes I had yesterday, really helped to carb load

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

With my 5K coming up tomorrow morning, I just went for an easy 3.3 miles and mixed in some strides. It was damp this morning but no rain - until I got 1/2 mile from home. Then it poured. So a very wet 3.3 miles but it was still fun. That's after 6 easy miles last night. Feel pretty good.

Tomorrow's 5k is a rematch with my brother-in-law. I beat him at a 5K on Thanksgiving 2008. He was hungover from a party the night before and I took advantage . Normally he would kick my butt - he's an experienced marathoner and has run a 3:17. but he wasn't training and had a wee bit too much to drink the night before.

This time, he is trained. He ran Boston in 3:36. But he is at a party tonight. So we'll see. Win or lose, sub 23 will make me happy.

Slo

I'm waiting for it to warm up before I go running today.....I don't think it's going to happen.

Friggen eh Tim....Nice Run !

Thanks for the input....I know doing the half is good......it's a matter of not turning it into a race and trying to reach the top of my AG....I'm looking forward to a nice MP effort run !

Here's a link to an RA's members blog......I got out of the habit of visiting it.....slow day here, made it back. His "Random Thoughts Generator" entry really struck a cord with me. I don't run with ear buds and music and my mind stays busy with a million thoughts.

Jeff's Blog

MTA:  EGH....You better post the results.....I'm pulling for you....run...and make it hurt. Embrace the suck and make sure he has a good clear look at your back-side!

MTA:  EGH....You better post the results.....I'm pulling for you....run...and make it hurt. Embrace the suck and make sure he has a good clear look at your back-side!

Ha! I'm going to have "Embrace the suck" in my head for all 3.1 miles now.

Byll, look at your pace, I can't wait what your next marathon gives you. Are you still following the reverse taper plan you had before? How do you feel not having your coach's guidance?

No reverse taper here.  I took the first two weeks after Boston pretty easy.  But I did finish off the second week with a 15 miler.  From here to Bayshore it's basically the same plans I had before Boston with a few minor tweaks.

Bill 

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #957

Tim - rocking run!  You are not kidding about the wind, though.

Breger - that's quite a week!

Twocat - great job!

The weather channel predicted 17-19mph winds during the night, but when I left the house at 4:45am, it was more like gale-force winds.  Definitely the windiest run I’ve ever had.  Windy enough that it kept trying to blow me sideways off the steep embankment of the bike path.  Windy enough that both my ears hurt when I got home from the strong winds blowing into them, one on the way out and one on the way back.  Still, it wasn’t raining and it was about 51-48° during my run, so it could have been much worse.

20.5 miles, ave pace 10:04.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Ten miles completed in windy conditions.    That is the most I have run in one lick since September.   I feel okay because I did not press, but will still feel it all later.

Now to chow down to some food.

Have a nice evening everyone.

Joey

Vista
                        dg.

Slo_hand thanks, I like that a lot.  and beyond the reading, there's that wonderful picture at the top!

Holly I can't beleive you did 20 in those winds!   & at that pace.  phew.  It was about that windy here, & I thought I was doing good getting in the car to go to the gym.

Nancy, I'm glad your spa day worked out & that you were suitably pampered!    So sweet that you got flowers, too!

ok, I'm glad you reminded me about the lassos.   Was thinking we'd better form a posse.   Spread out at suitable distances over the course on the ready, because this is important!   It's possible that with the race pheromones 2kitty will go over the edge & it is our job to protect him.    ...           I've been practicing on my cats & I do recommend it.   If we miss, he's likely to go faster.   at least, my cats do.    meant to post this earlier so there was more practice time!   Ok, who's in?  

mta. nice run Joey!

evanflein

8.6 miles down the road and back up. Legs felt a little tired at first, then it felt like I just couldn't get enough air. I'm thinking the pollen count must be pretty high. I don't have asthma, but it sure felt like restricted breathing out there. Nice day though, just a little breezy, not full force wind like some of you are dealing with.

Tim, your run sounds like my run home from work on Thursday. Just frustrating how the wind was in my face every which way I went. I think the term "dragging a tire" sums up how it felt.

Nice long windy run, Holly. When is the 50k that you and Tim are doing? June 5? That race sounds like fun and a nice course.

Hey Byll! I'll be in Ft. Lauderdale/Boca Raton in September! Same conference I go to most years, a couple years ago it was in WRFB and PDR's neck of the woods. Would sure be fun to see you!

Count on it Erika!  Le tme know your plans as it gets closer.  Boca is very close to us.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Only time for a quick fly by at the moment. A VERY windy 10 miles this morning. Closing in on my first 40 mile week ever!