Masters Running

9th April, Boomer runs, The sun is on its way. (Read 582 times)

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Back from the Vet and Tory is OK. The Vet is sure it is soft tissue injury (dog park running?, flying off the deack after squirrels? running? who knows?). He's on the DL and taking anti-inflamaTory . He's eating well, just lying low and hunkering down.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

King of PhotoShop

I'll never forget that night. The Saint wanted me to turn off the TV and go to sleep, as I had the game on in the bedroom and it looked like all was lost. I insisted on watching til the bitter end, and then all hell broke loose. I jumped up and started screaming for Mookie to hustle home and went just about nuts. I am from NY and so I am a Met fan. I felt bad for the Sox, but not bad enough to not want my Mets to win. Buckner was very emotional yesterday and said that the only group he had any animosity toward back then were the media, never the fans, but that he has forgiven them and moved on. I was very happy they did this. One mistake he made and they crucified him, forgetting his many years of great fielding and hitting. He was a heck of a ball player. Spareribs
      PJH

Lot a talk about the Red Sox these days. Haven't heard anyone mention the weekend series against the Blue Jays. From our pov it was quite the 'home opening' series. It's shaping up to be a good summer. Don't count us out this year ... the boys in blue are looking good. Btw - they paid tribute to Roberto Alomar the opening night ... a great second baseman in his time - two world series rings. Took the day off today given a pretty long run last night with half the miles at MP-15. Off to see 'Spirit of the Marathon' - we got tickets through the run/mentor program I'm involved with. Great running everyone! ... and yes, Vista - getting excited. PJ
        TammyinGP

Got in a short 4 mile run during my lunch hour today. took it slow and I think overall I felt fine. Of course, when you "think" you might have a minor stress fracture, you start to imagine little tweaks that you think you are feeling . . . Roll eyes but it's now been a couple hrs since I ran and no swelling or discomfort in the tibia area. It just felt good to run again.

Tammy

wildchild

Carolyn

Perch, glad Tory is OK. If you go running without him, do you have to sneak out? Jules, I have to disagree, the sun is not on its way - a major snowstorm is headed this way. Predictions of a foot or more. Well, I might just have to take a snow day, which wouldn't break my heart. Wink Erika - why did you stop at 5.43 miles on the treadmill this morning??? Tall, glad your date went well, but then you say you had another date??? Slow down and smell the roses! I got out for another lunchtime run in shorts today ahead of the predicted storm. I did a long run today in case I'm snowed in tomorrow - 9.6 miles at just under 11:00 pace. I took it slow and felt great - could have kept going but I was kinda playing hookey from work and had to get back. I think it was Aamos who said you focus on something in the distance and let it pull you in. I focused on trees, benches, even a horse in a field, and it really let me zone out and run. Also let me notice some very cool, gnarled trees along the creek. I'm trying to decide which half to sign up for. I know I shouldn't be skeered and you guys will help me out with this. There's one in Frisco, CO on June 7th called Run the Rockies that starts at Copper Mtn ski area, and one in Georgetown CO on June 28th called the Slacker Half Marathon that starts at Loveland ski area. The Slacker is billed as the highest downhill half marathon in the country, starting at an elevation of 10,360 ft and ending at 8400 ft. They both cost $35 and are close enough to home to drive in the am before the race. There's also the Colorado half marathon in Ft Collins on May 4th - I think Aamos is doing the full, and I'd love to meet her. But Ft Collins is a 2 hr drive and the race starts early, so I'd have to stay overnight, and the race fee is $55. So I'm leaning toward one of the June races.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Top 'O the World!

I'm trying to decide which half to sign up for.... one in Frisco, CO on June 7th called Run the Rockies.... one in Georgetown CO on June 28th called the Slacker Half Marathon..... also the Colorado half marathon in Ft Collins on May 4th - I think Aamos is doing the full, and I'd love to meet her. But Ft Collins is a 2 hr drive and the race starts early, so I'd have to stay overnight, and the race fee is $55. So I'm leaning toward one of the June races.
              Smile Hey Carolyn! I'm looking @ the Slacker cause I can take my dog... & Ft Collins cause I can stay w/some wacky relatives Wink & they're almost 2 mos apart...which helps the co-worker's sense of humor...
              Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
              TWEEK1

This Boston running time is beginning to get close for you folks. Anyone excited yet?
                Excited? Too much pressure! Eek! I found the kale recipe: Ingredients 1 bunch of kale olive oil salt Directions Preheat oven to 300 degrees Wash and dry the kale (either w/a towel or a salad spinner); cut off the thick stem portion of the leaf; you can leave them whole or cut them into 3-4 inch pieces Line a cookie sheet with some parchment paper Lightly coat the kale with olive oil then place on the parchment paper Bake for 20 minutes Add salt to taste They're crunchy, salty, and healthy Can I dip them in CHOCOLATE? I think they'd go well with coffee. Must go make Kale Chips.
                  Gosh...great times to day! Everbody is having fun. 6 spunky miles for me this afternoon. I tried to do "sproinky" but could only manage "spunky." 9:3x pace. I missed most of the rain...it just drizzled ever so slightly on me. I love the drizzle.
                  Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                  dg.

The only thing is we need to come up with a new nick name for it, that is not a fun nor cute word to say or spell Wink Sounds like an answer to one of Spare ribs crossword postings Confused
                    hallar, I was thinking the same thing. in the articles they say it's actually PVV training , because "the visual & vestibular systems help the somatosensory system maintain control & balance" (who knew?). Maybe somebody can do something wth that. I just had kale for dinner. -). with lots of ginger. but kale chips with chocolate. perfection. thanks tweek1! Tammy, I'm so glad nothing hurts after your run.
                      I love the drizzle.
                      Gosh, never thought I'd say this, but so do I. Smile (and the fog and the misting and the spitting and even the real rain sometimes)

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Gosh, never thought I'd say this, but so do I. Smile (and the fog and the misting and the spitting and even the real rain sometimes)
                        great minds.....
                        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                          I was driving with a van full of teenagers from Rhode Island (and Red Sox fans) that night and tried to tease them that the Mets would win. It was all of them cheering for Boston against me(supposedly). I thought this was just a fun thing UNTIL that play. Later on I talked to Mookie Wilson about his spin on this event when he played for the Blue Jays. The opportunity for Buckner to have this day at Fenway was a good move for everyone to give closer to it all. I knew Robbie Alomar fairly well and always felt bad for his incident with the umpire in Baltimore. That was not the Robbie I knew, although he was a competitor. Of course there was controversy in regards to what happened, with some feeling Robbie was justified in part for what happened. Some of the best baseball I ever watched live was the Blue Jays back in the Joe Carter, Robbie Alomar, Devon White seasons. The SkyDome was rocking in those days. The Jays had two closers back to back that were superb with Tom Henke and Duane Ward. Joe Carter one afternoon promised to hit a homer for my son and he did it in a game at the Dome against the Orioles. My son is now 29 years old and he STILL has Joe Carter plaques and signed cards in his rec room (after his wife told him she didn't want the in their bedroom). Yes, it is great to have "the summer game" back. This is a running web site and I am "running" on with great memories.
                          Vista
                          spacityrunner

BTB, et al...here I am, over here. Yep, life has gotten busy and I have not had time to even write in my blog. Just returned from being at a VIP conference all day today, and need to be back there early a.m. so not much time. Kittys are wondering...who is this person that just came home. Oh yea, that's the lady that gives us food and cleans our litter box. But: managed to get a swim in on Sat and Sun. Probably won't get back to the club until Sunday as this conference goes till saturday afternoon. Foot is, well, uh, a foot. Drats! It has now been 2 weeks of no drugs/no dress shoes/no running and while it is not "painful" it is not without pain. It kinda just feels tired all the time. (weird, huh) Today, in return for my comp entry into this very $$$ conference, I stood outside on the sidewalk for an hour and a half (yes in my running shoes) and directed folks to the fancy reception, that I went to (yes in my running shoes) after being traffic director. Then, after standing for an hour at this reception, mingling and being social (which I am not, so it is very hard for me to do the small talk thing), I walked home (about 30 min) and now foot is a bit achy. I am hoping in the a.m. it will feel better as I now have that fancy strassburg sock I wear at night. I don't see much difference, but I'll keep using it for a bit more. My final thesis project is due May 1...I will be all consumed with getting that to look like something in the next couple of weeks and won't be 1) tempted to run, and 2) able to post much as my mind will be mush by the end of the day. I think you all will rock at Boston and am anxiously awaiting all reports. I am running through your posts....thanks Good night and good runs all!

Trails Rock!

Marathon Maniac #3309

I hope no one gets tired of my "cycling" workouts instead of running....this is just short term for a race. Tonight, 48 miles at tempo and hill repeats. I rode with a rider who used to be a pro, but wasn't quite good enough and had to get a "real" job. Our hill repeats were at the biggest hill we have here....which is not that big compared to a lot of mountains others have, but still hard what we did. This one hill is about 1 mile long, and I don't know the grade, but rather steep to us here. His plan was to start at the bottom of the hill and stop, then get into the hardest gear and ride up the hill while never coming off the seat....no standing to peddle. Whew, we did 10 of those puppies and that was the hardest workout I have ever done since highschool track....I think I reached almost max HR every repeat. Feels good to be home...and I will sleep very well tonight also....but I do miss my runs!!! Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Nice runs and cycling and treadmill work and more today..... Deez4boys....check out www.fathomevents.com for additional screening dates for the Spirit of the Marathon movie. It will be shown on April 17 in the Boston area at 4:30 and 7:30 PM. I know it will be at Fenway 13 and Kathrine Switzer will be speaking at both showings I believe. More tomorrow, lots of driving tonight and I am toast. CNYrunner P.S. PJH---if it makes you feel better, we just got tickets for the Sox vs. the Blue Jays for late August in Toronto for the kiddo's birthday.