Masters Running

Friday's Daily, 11.1.13 (Read 42 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Lots of "1" in today's date.

Sorry, but I haven't had time to read yesterday's daily. I got up early today, but passed on heading out for a workout. Instead, I did some cross training comprised of core exercises, house cleaning and upgrading some software. I know; it gets scary around here when DW is away. At any rate, I have a more-than-full day at the office, and I'm already behind schedule, so I'm gonna get on my way.

Have a great Friday and weekend, and I'm wishing fleet feet to all of this weekend's racers, particularly Marj and PBJ in NYC.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

After Halloween, people will ask me "how many kids did you have come by your house", and I never know so I just say 50.  This year I kept a count, so I hope someone asks me:  88 kids.

I am going out for a few miles (eventually) this morning.  I am loosely following an old Higdon training plan for a half marathon so today I will run some of those miles at half marathon pace.  I'd like to break 2-hours again so I am picking 9:00 as my half pace.

My younger daughter is down in a Chicago suburb for a job interview this morning.  After a couple phone interviews they asked her if she could come down there so she hopped in her car yesterday and off she went,  Sounds good so far.  No particular reason, is there anyone in the Chicago area wanting to do some cross training moving furniture (should it come to that?)  Joking

mta: 3.6 miles with 3 at hm pace: 9:12, 8:53, 8:51  I need to set-up my watch so I can see the pace while I am running.  Right now it is too small to see, especially on a gray day like today.  I just went by feel today and did pretty good actually.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

So we had 30-40 kids last night.  How about you, Dave?

DW and I are suckers for Halloween.  We spend most of the preceding couple of days setting up our display on the porch and yard and then have most of taken back down (but not put away) after the at most 2 hours of trick or treaters.  We did get the ultimate compliment when one of the kids (who I didn't even recognize ) said "I can't wait to get to the Haunted house"

As part of my post-world series and Halloween recovery, I skipped this morning.  carry on with real running, folks.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Have a great Friday and weekend, and I'm wishing fleet feet to all of this weekend's racers, particularly Marj and PBJ in NYC.

Is Marj running NYC also?? I'm going to be there, spectating on 1st Avenue, between 88th & 89th Streets (mile 17.5). Very excited for all!

Today is my firstborn's birthday, he's 22 today. So there's another "1" for you. Enjoy the day, all!

Marathon Maniac #957

We missed our connection to Moab and got stuck in Denver.  Next flight to Moab is today at noon.  Luckily, Renee has an aunt in Boulder who came and picked us up and took us home with her for the night.  Panic attack when I called the car rental place to find they had given our car away and were now sold out.....Sad...... However, when they opened up this morning the woman at Enterprise told me she had saved the car for us after all....doing the happy dance now!

So, we should get to Moab about 1:30pm....SO GLAD we came a day early!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

mrrun

Holly - glad you got a car.  We're awaiting a train to nyc

OM yes I'm running.  Henry will be at 69th & 1st with my eta there for 2:15.  I'm sure you'll be long gone by the time I hit 89th

wildchild

Carolyn

Sending hugs to DIvechief!  That sounds scary -hope you're okay.

I'm finishing up packing for Moab - we'll hit the road in a few hours.  Not bringing the kitchen sink, but the car will be pretty full with camping and climbing gear, and Tazzie and Ladybug.   Holly, glad you got a rental car after all - it would have been a tight fit in our car for you and your two friends!   You would have had to hold a dog in your lap.

Good luck to PBJ and Marj at NYC.  Moab is way more scenic - just sayin'...   And NYC doesn't have any fixed rope sections, or ladders, or cliffs!    Holly and Mtnchk and I will post pictures tomorrow to  make you all jealous!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

lamerunner

Good morning; Happy November.

Tet, nice waffle trainers. Those were the shoe to have back in the 70s. I dont' recall what shoes I wore for my first marathon but I remember fondly the innocence of it all, just a long run, no expectations- rolled in with minimal training in about 3:28. Youth is a wonderful thing, and as they say, wasted on the young.

Dive, scary stuff; take care!

Pschyo New England weather again... Warm long sleeves and tights earlier in the week, even some snow; shorts and short sleeves with a windy/drizzly  60 degrees this morning. Manchester course is marked and paint holding up despite the weather; DPW was at Dorrs pond moving the rock to widen the entrance. ( so no steeplechase Karin!). All systems go; all hands on deck for the weekend!

I ran about 8 this morning.

Holly and Carolyn, good luck and have fun at Moab. I would like to try it or the half ( if there is one) some time.

Good luck also to those running NYC!

lamerunner

PS Carolyn, where are you guys climbing?  I saw some great photos frmo DD's few days at indian Creek.

wildchild

Carolyn

Lame, we're going to Indian Creek, too.  Gorgeous place.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Tramps

Lots of racing this weekend.  Good luck all!

11/02 Wildchild - Moab Trail Marathon, Moab UT

11/02 HollyS - Moab Trail Marathon, Moab, UT

11/02 MilkTruck - Moose Pond Half, Bridgton, ME

11/02 pfriese - Race with the Stars 5K, OKC, OK

11/02 Sarge - Indianapolis Monumental Marathon, Indianapolis IN

11/02 IBleedUnionBlue - Indianapolis Monumental Marathon, Indianapolis IN

11/02 tetsujin - Carkeek 12 hour (Seattleļ¼‰- costume - (geta/waraji/thongs)

11/03 PBJ -  NYC marathon, Ny NY

11/03 CNYrunner - Manchester City marathon, Manchester, NH

11/03 Ileneforward - Santa Clarita half marathon, SC CA

I had to be in Richmond for a meeting yesterday, so I ran a chunk of the Richmond course on a warm and humid afternoon.  Lots of stops for traffic, though.  I like doing this to remind myself of some key hilly spots and to get a mental imprint of the last half of the course.

EZ 5 miler this morning.

Be safe. Be kind.

TammyinGP

Dave, that was a scary episode and I hope your BP is back to normal in a day or two.

good thing you travelled early Holly! What a stressful situation!   Enjoy Moab!

No trick or treaters here - we live too far out of town and in the woods. A person that just moved in down the road from us decorated the outside of his house for Halloween. I wonder if he thought we got any kiddo's wandering out our way? If so, I bet he was disappointed. or maybe relieved because now he'll get all the candy.

only working til 11:30 today then we start day 1 (of 2) of our company bowling tourney. Tomorrow will be a busy busy day as we move all the remaining items out of MIL's apt and get it all cleaned up. They will be doing a remodel on her unit before they get another person in there, so seems so pointless to clean, but if I'd like to get any of her cleaning deposit back, I still have to go through the motions.

Tammy

OrangeMat

MM #6177

OM yes I'm running.  Henry will be at 69th & 1st with my eta there for 2:15.  I'm sure you'll be long gone by the time I hit 89th

Oh I'll still be there, no worries. This is the cheer zone for my friend's charity, and she's running a 6.5+ hour pace. So I will happily see EVERYONE go by. Smile

Glad you got a car after all, Holly! Just don't dance too much, gotta save those legs for your race!

Anyone have PBJ's bib number? I'd like to track as many friends as I can.

One of these days I'll write up a detailed summary of last month's marathon trifecta... but first I've got to go finish making my sign!

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Afternoon all and good runnning to those who posted and those to post.

OM - Good to see you're back.  Still sorry missed you at MCM.

Took off from work today for the holy day, All Saints Day.  We had some thunderstorms blow thru but early and/or during church.  After church, I pulled on shorts and shoes and went for a run.  It was still drizzling with temps in the 60F's range so very humid but comfortable.  Basically it was a planned recovery run, or the begining of  my anti-taper after a marathon.  MCM with all that pavement vs. asphalt legs took a pounding.  Yesterday chiro worked on ankle and recommended icing again to reduce swelling [from MCM].

Route  was an out and back for total of 2.2 miles.  Left ankle a little stiff and right knee a bit cranky but not too bad. [So as chiro suggested I am doing some precautionary icing of ankle.]  Overall time and average pace were 17:07.24 or 7:46 min/miles.  Surprised myself with pace since was not planning on running sub 8's just turned out that way.

TGIF all.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

Shoutout to divechief -- I was reading in the paper today about the Orcas that surrounded the ferry -- was that your boat?  Very cool.  Now, about that heart episode; just the scare we needed for Halloween!  Yikes; be careful.

Hearty GL to the NYC runners!

Ran intervals with the big dogs last night (community track workout, that draws a BIG range of people)...in my witch costume, but was disgruntled with myself because I had forgotten my broom.  Just left it at home.  (It's a nice lightweight broom, appropriate for running intervals).