Masters Running

Thurs March 4th Masters Daily - What a "Greta" day to make a difference!!! (Read 521 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good Morning Everyone! - I'm up and at it early this morning getting ready to do some work related stuff....still trying to get the shop opened up I will be managing, which seems to be taking forever.....but I am all PUMPED UP this morning for a great day!!!! ----- I decided that last night I would begin my speed work for the upcoming season, and was VERY MUCH looking forward to it. For months now all of my runs have been super easy, and that has served me very well through the Winter Months, as I feel really great and nothing hurts!!! -----I am going to train with the same program that Ribs had me doing with 2 big workouts a week, and the rest easy....this plan really works well I believe. Last night was a MLR with 6 - 1/2 miles repeats on a country road that I have marked with my Garmin and Bike computer (my track is still snow covered). My resting HR was really super low at 40 bpm so I new my speed work should go well, but I had no speed work in a long time so I really didn't know what to expect ------Anyhoo, 12.3 total miles - 1:47:50 - 8:48 ave pace - then 6 - 1/2 mile repeats after 5 easy miles that I tried to run strong with good form, but not all out at all ------ 1 (3:30 - 7:00 pace) - 2 (3:27 - 6:54 pace) - 3 (3:28 - 6:56 pace) 4 (3:29 - 6:56 pace) 5 (3:31 - 7:02 pace) 6 (3:31 - 7:02 pace) - with 2 minute recovery jogs between repeats ------I will have to say that this is the most consistent I have ran these kind of repeats, but I think it may be easier on a straight road than a round track. Last night it was a really nice out with the temp at 34 degrees - sunny - and not much wind at all ------This run was a true blast, and I can't wait for more speed and some 5 and 10K races coming up soon....I am going to try and break 19 minutes in the 5K and 40 minutes in the 10K, as I think I can with some serious commitment and fast speed work, and getting these 1/2 mile repeats (then 1000 M repeats) down to 5:30 to 5:45 pace in the near future! ------Hope all my Frens here at RA have a Great Day!!!! -----TimBo - PS: Hey Slo, I did indeed see you asking me about some Xterra races in Indiana.....and you wanting a butt whooping (kidding of course, hehe) Let me know some dates you are thinking about, and I would love to race one of these buggers with Ya.....if you are game (grins) I know a lot about the Xterra races here, which mostly are put on by our DINO series.

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Nice speedwork Tim!  For most of us that one would be a Lifetime Achievement Award.  For you it's a Start!  Tim, Spareribs ripped off Tinman with that training program he gave you - with two big workouts a week and the rest easy running.  It works, doesn't it?

Speaking of easy running days - 3.5 slow recovery miles at 9:47 pace.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Tramps

Nice to see Tim's enthusiasm and great running this morning.

Just to balance things out, I had my carpiest run in quite some time.  I planned a 12-mile MP run but managed only to struggle through 7 miles.  I then turn off the Garmin and jog/walked about 3 miles home.  I had absolutely no energy and even felt a little nauseous climbing the hills.  Yuck.   DW is struggling with a cold (and very bad laryngitis) she’s had for nearly a week and, based on today’s run, I suspect I’m about to come down with it.  Well, better now than race week!

Be safe. Be kind.

King of PhotoShop

True, that is a classic Tinman approach.  Fast as Tim is however, his 800's were a bit too fast.  I would have liked to see them a tad slower and with a bit shorter recoveries.   Spareribs
          evanflein

Woohoo Tim! You've built a nice base; now it's time to have some fun!

5 easy miles for me around the golf course and on sidewalks. Gives me 23 for the week while down here in Scottsdale.

Morning, gang!

Tim - good to see you up early and working - nice run!

George - I'm in awe that you could go from practically no running to doing so many hill intervals in just 10 days.  Wow!  I agree about the arm thingys on ellipticals - I hate 'em.   I should never have bought the inserts, but DH insisted.  I have one foot that overpronates, and one that doesn't.  Two sports docs and two therapists with extensive running backgrounds have told me to stick with neutral cushioned shoes; whereas all of the running store salespeople have insisted that I need a stability shoe.  I've had the best luck with neutral cushioned shoes. 

Stumpy - those stupid arm thingys throw off my cadence as well.  My DH kept telling me how good the arc trainers are - how they really mimic actual running - but I beg to differ.  I guess it's possible to get used to anything, but I do prefer the Precors. 

dg - glad you can do the surgery as an outpatient - it will be over and behind you in no time.  Is the dead bug exercise the one where you are on your back with your arms and legs in the air and kind of wiggle to move in circles?  I occasionally see one of the trainers making their students do this exercise, and it looks like a dead bug to me ;-).

{{{{{{Mariposai}}}}} - so sorry about the dog bite, but I'm glad he didn't do more damage.  Any news on the vaccination status?

75 minutes on my favorite elliptical this morning.  Lunchtime yoga has been canceled for lack of an available room - poop.   The daffodils are starting to send out greenery, so spring can't be too far behind, can it? 

Good runs all

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Mariposai- Sorry about your dog incident yesterday. It stinks when you can have favorite routes affected. I hope you are medically ok.

Timbo-Your workouts are epic. My guess is you are the same way with your job, which makes your employer very lucky. Hey Tim have you ever ridden a Cannondale?

Always good when there is a Spareribs sighting.

I ran the finale of the trail series last night, Race report is upcoming.

Mariposai

Happy is the day we see the wiseone around here!!!

If a 2 minute interval is too long, what would you recommend for timbo and why?

No news from the nuttie doggie owner's yet., the animal control police came to take pictures of my legs yesterday and told me that this is the dog's third offense, with the next one they have to kill the dogie () which made me all teary eyed when I heard that. Of course is not the dog's fault. arrhh. The owner is getting a big fine, the police said. I hope to hear from them today.

Today, 4 easy recovery miles and yesssssss the dog was out again, I turn around and ran the other direction, which is not the safest route at predawn..no street lights, no houses, not safe at all..oh...I so do not need this stress right now.

Enkie, thanks for reminding me that America is not the only one who uses jurors, of course I knew that, but I was in such a hurry yesterday morning to expand on the statement. As a matter of fact I read up about it last night and found out that Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, England, Ireland, etc uses jurors, but only for some cases. So USA still is, to my knowledge, is the only country who will bring jurors to make a decision for a thief who stole something from a gas station, for example. I would like to hear from those with law background talk about this. Aamos? tetsujin? tammy? holly?

Off to do a radio show for half an hour. I have four guest speakers today, this should be un pedazo de pastel (a piece of cake)

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Tim, that is impressive stuff. Not just the speed, just the fact that you can compartmentalize and organize your run in such detail. My head would explode.

Tramps, I've got a cold coming on too. I've been pretty lucky this winter. Hoping it doesn't kick in in full force this weekend.

Sue, I had been averaging 40 mpw including weekly hill work and only missed 10 days of running (but kept up with the elliptical). The hill repeats were short, only about 220 yards long. I started really slow and only picked up the pace when I was really warmed up. And I faithfully do my low-bar back squats every week and am convinced that helps a lot. I had only planned on doing half of the repeats but I kept it slow enough where I could do them all. I was pleasantly surprised at how it went.

But can I tell you how painful it is to stick your foot and ankle in a bucket of ice water? Yow. I started with just cold water from the tap and slowly added ice cubes. My left foot is still cold today. But it really helped. My 9 y.o daughter got a kick out of adding the ice cubes and thought I was nuts.

MTA: Sue, I'm lucky that here in Boston we have some excellent running stores. it's true that many of the staff treat pronation as a disease rather than as the normal function of our feet. Just got to stick with what works for ya.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

It's good to see Tim with nothing hurt.  That speed will come quickly.  The base is what takes the time.

Tramps.. careful.. your body is telling you to rest.

Erika.. it must be great to run in the warmth! You so deserve that!

Mari... here in NC the dog only gets one free bite.  Dog free routes are very special.

4 EZ miles in Duke Forest with Tory and Sadie. Big hills on a recovery run make the legs feel fresh. 41:53 (10:28 pace, AHR 147).  One close call was when the dogs, with the ends of their leashes clipped together were running behind me and saw a squirrel.  They chased it, going on both sides of me and pulling me fast down the trail.  I guess that's a "doglek" Smile

ETA: 30+20+13 pushups

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #957

DSL is still not working at work, but they set me up with dial-up on the fax line until the DSL is up and running again, so I can pop over here occasionally, but can’t tie up the line long.

Mariposai – I can’t believe that dog was out AGAIN, the day after it bit you!  Those owners ought to be strung up, and yes, I agree that it is sad for the dog, when it is really an owner at fault here.  Maybe you could carry one of those tiny air horns, and scare the dog when it approaches you (and maybe get the owners outside).

7 slow miles for me today in 25° on tired legs.  I don’t know why, since I’m really kind of taking it easy this week, but I guess you just have that sometimes.  Plus 63 push-ups (21+21+21)

I saw tiny tulip greens poking through the dirt!  They must be responding to the longer days, because we certainly haven’t had any warm temps yet, but warmer days are on the way.

We haven’t had guests over for months, and DH informed me a couple weeks ago that he was having a party for my birthday this year, and he thought I would rather know than have it be a surprise.    So this Saturday night we’re having a smallish gathering of friends for food, drinks, and a few silly games.    At least we have an excuse to give the house a thorough cleaning, which it sorely needs.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

dg.

Hi!

Tramps, take care of yourself.   hugs to your DW. 

Nancy I'm so sorry about your dog bite!   I hope you get some answers soon.  I agree, it is the owner's fault.  but I still think it's really surprising they let a dog bite 4 times!    (((())))

Erika yippee you get to be warm!!

Sue, this version of dead bug (they both sound like more like dying bugs) is on your back, legs up--hips & knees at 90degrees, & slowly lowering each foot  (alternately) to the ground, keeping stomach & hips & all  very stable.

Nice ellipticalling!  ... at first I thought you said lunchtime was canceled.  :O .       -- the one dog specific med Sadie is taking is Pimobendan.  do you know anything about that?

I read the end of yesterday's daily, starting from the bottom, & after reading Twocat's last paragraph I knew just who was writing.  ;-)

Holly, thanks!  I did maybe a little too much this morning, but think it's ok.   I had not yet read your post & had probably forgotten all the other ones .   Anyway, 7.23 miles this morning, at about a 9:48 pace.  Then I did 1 set on the upper & lower body weight machines, & side planks with the stability ball.  I don't want to be too blobby before I have to cut back later... .  I did have to stop a few times on the run.    Couldn't be too sensible because it's not nice to keep scaring Kevin.

time to go see the puppy. 

Hey SteveP I hope I'm not on House.  if so, just don't tell me ok?

Marathon Maniac #957

time to go see the puppy. 

I missed that - what puppy?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

dg.

I missed that - what puppy?

oh... sorry!  I just call her a puppy.    all dogs are puppies  Smile

Mariposai, I can't believe the dog has bitten 4 times.  Should be 3 strikes you're out at most, for the owners that is.

Fun to see people doing speedwork.

I just want to get out this week and run.  I can't imagine getting up at the crack of dawn.  DD is now home sick with the same stomach flu that has hit eveyone but me.  I might have had it in a much milder form two weeks ago.  So perhaps an hour run tonight once my backup arrives.  My log is looking pretty barren.

Now to be totally obnoxious....our daffodils poked up last week of January and our tulips are up all the way but not flowered.  Our cherry blossom trees are full on, as are some Magnolias.  Everything about 3 weeks early according to my guesstimation.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."