Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 6.22.17 (Read 32 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

First day of summer workouts:
    RunnerKSA (3.1 miles, + 2.2 post-work TM miles)
    Henrun (35 min walk in 66° temps)
    Tramps (usual round of exercises, + 20 min, 3:1 walk/run)
    Tammy (Tennis court drills with MS/HS summer training camp kids, then 4.2 post-work miles)
    Catwhoorg (5 insane muggy lunchtime miles)
    Pfriese (6 morning miles in beautiful PNW weather)
    PBJ (7 TM miles + fizzy lifting at the gym)
    Tomwhite (30 min HH in Hokas at the soccer field + 30 min pool run w/belt)
    Catwhoorg (16 mi training ride w/ fastest avg. speed)
    Flats (7.02 evening miles with SPF 30)
    Evanflein (6.6 midday miles, including 3 at 8 or sub-8 pace)
    Mike (8 faster-than-they-should-have-been miles)
    Twocat (1 hr on the elliptical)
    Holly (4.6 miles)

I’m glad everything, including you, is in good running order for your trip, Henrun.

That walking sideways stuff gets tough, doesn’t it, Tramps?

I’m glad you’re getting better/stronger, Fatozzig. Sounds like tough weather for the runners at WS this weekend.

Good for you for working with the kids, Tammy.

Travel safely, Pfriese.

Lots of articles this time of the year about transitioning to, and the dangers of hot weather running, Stumpy. Still, the reminders are always valuable.

Good luck in your mile race tonight, Evanflein. Why is it that most weekday evening races are on Thursdays?

How good of you to let the neighbor live another day, Mike.

Happy 35th anniversary, Twocat and Mrs. Cat!

I was awake at 3:30 this morning, so I went through my regular routine, and was out the door before 4. I went 7.6 RW miles in 61° with a low humidity and a good breeze - IWC. I also got to watch the sky change as the sun crept toward the horizon, but I turned back toward home before it showed its orange face. It was a good workout, but my pacing wasn't what I had hoped it would be. My right hip is still giving me some grief, so it's a good thing that I have another PT session today.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks, as always, for the recap.

Raining outside (we are getting the edge of the tropical storm) and we all know what that means!   3.1 treadmill miles.  Getting humid in my basement, but I got it done.  2.1 treadmill miles after work.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Morning, all.

Right around 60° this morning with low humidity.  Pretty darn close to IRC.  3.1 lake loop miles complete with meeting both of my regular goldens.  Not too speedy, but satisfying.  thinking that i better start doing a little more than just 5Ks when I go out.

DW and I hit 37 a little earlier this year and we've reached the point of meh, that time of year again?  Not that we mind an excuse for a nice dineer out.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Tramps

Hope you northerners are enjoying all that "low humidity."  No such luck here; dripping damp out there today.

Glad to see Connor McDavid get the big awards last night; he deserved them.  With Crosby losing out, it felt a bit like a changing of the guard. I'm still not sold on the idea of hockey in Vegas but what do I know?

Repeat of yesterday: knee/hip exercises + core work + a 20 minute 3:1 run/walk.  It's not a great time to be walking since the flies are out in full force.  I want to run further just to get away from them.

ETA: Okay, this is a little freaky.  I just realized my 5 individual minutes of running today are at the exact same pace as my 5 minutes of running yesterday (and 8 of the 10 are at exactly a 7:42 pace):

• yesterday: 8:20 / 7:42 / 7:42 / 7:42 / 7:42
          •        today: 8:20 / 7:42 / 7:42 / 7:42 / 7:42

Maybe I'm just bored but that seems amazing to me....in a completely random and meaningless way.  Maybe I should play the lottery today.

Be safe. Be kind.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

But how would you choose your numbers?

Tramps

But how would you choose your numbers?

Uh...how many do I need?

8-2-0-7-4-2

Be safe. Be kind.

Uh...how many do I need?

8-2-0-7-4-2

Go buy a ticket. Today's your lucky day!

Happy belated 35th anniversary to you and your DW Twocat! Hope the dinner was good.

Have fun on your road trip mom and dad! Save travels, and check in with your kids, ok?

Your descriptions of your morning runs are always so amazing Jay. Thanks for your recap.

Glad your neighbor is still alive and kicking Mike!

5.5 miles this morning. Got down half a block from my house and it started raining. But seeing as how I didn't break the rule because technically it wasn't raining when I started, I kept going. It stopped about 3 miles in and you could definitely feel the humidity. We're supposed to get 3 inches of rain today.

Have a great Thursday everyone.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

A sort of random question that's been bugging me for a while--I don't pay much attention to it, but does anyone know how the iPhone health app calculates/measures steps and distance?  for instance, the day of setting up for our relay, it said i did 18000 steps and 6.1 miles.  my normal walking step is very close to and very consistently 3 feet, which comes out a little over 10 miles.   Any help?

Tramps

maybe this on iPhone?

Be safe. Be kind.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

maybe this on iPhone?

it helps.  better than i found while searching.  confirms suspicions that it does not use the gps function.  can't find anywhere where the stride length is assumed/entered, though.

catwhoorg

Labrat

Heavy rain, so rest day here.

Have a friend coming over this evening for dinner, so I'll be to busy cooking to even sneak a TM run in.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Marathon Maniac #957

Tramps - add me to the list of those who think you need to play the Lotto today...

No rain here, but I tweaked my knee slightly yesterday going over the baby gate we use to keep the dogs in the kitchen, and I thought a day of rest was in order, runningwise, so swimming it was - 46 times across the pool, or 1150 yards.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

just to clarify - I did not do those speed drills on the tennis court. I visited with the parents of one of my former middle school XC kids (who is going into HS this fall) while the kids did all the work. I'm a good parent visitor 

It was so nice and mild out with a pretty good breeze going so enjoyed my after work running. Quite the change from today forward though. 95 today, 104 tomorrow, 109 saturday. Have I mentioned how glad I am that the relay isn't this weekend?

it'll be cooler at my house though than the 95 projected for today, so I'll probably get in a few miles at home this evening.

Tammy

TammyinGP in DW's books it does not count.  All I got credit for was the roses I gave her.

coastwalker hope the hip feels better soon.

RunnerKSA good call not breaking rule #1. Still a lobotomy being on a TM is no fun.

stumpy77 an excuse for dinner out? How about nobody cooked anything? Works at my place. About that iPhone. It would not work if it needed GPS. GPS is probably not accurate enough. Stand still outside and GPS will say you are moving due to measurement error. Most people do a lot of their walking indoors, where the phone cannot get a GPS satellite reading. All in, that means it is stuck trying to use the phone bouncing a certain way to guess you just walked a step.

Tramps if not the lottery you could dump everything you own into a penny stock. Might work out okay. Or if not, well, probably no worse than the lottery so there is that. 

Jlynne quite true you are clear of all rule violations.

I have two hours at the airport between flights so figured I would check in here and add a bit to yesterday's blood letting story. I am on my way to a conference in Whistler BC via mariposai's place. I am flying into Spokane and she is retrieving me there (or her DH is, I forget who got stuck with this assignment). Then I spend the weekend hiking and eating cherries with them and from there go to Vancouver and then to Whistler and back home the next day. A lot of miles for a 20 minute presentation I will give next Wednesday. At least the trip to visit mariposai and company will be fun!

About yesterday's Red Cross story: I check in. Go through the question list. They test my blood and we are set to go. I warn the nurse that I am really difficult to draw blood from and need someone very experienced. She laughs it off and says that means she will be doing it.  I should have walked out then and there and saved everyone time and me time and pain. She checks my veins, says they are surrounded by muscle but that should not be an issue. Really? After I just warned you whatever is going on there might be an issue? She plunges in a needle. It hurts. She notices and indicates it should not. A few more stabs, all of which produce more pain than they should. Very little blood is coming out. She says she is going to get her supervisor. He comes over, complains that this is a challenge for him given the way the beds are set up since he is left handed. Oh great, a supervisor called to help who cannot really help. A few more stabs. He says the pain should subside and to let him know if it does not. Well, eventually the pain does subside. Blood flow is slow but he thinks okay.

Nobody pays attention to me for some time. Eventually someone comes over and notices hardly any blood is going into the bag. Actually, just a quarter of a bag. Before the guy can do anything I ask him if I am going to time out. You only have so many minutes from start to finish. If the bag does not fill by then they pull the needle. Send you home and toss whatever they did get. He looks at the clock and says there are only 2 minutes left and there is no chance I will make it. (He also comments that he should check the clock first when coming over to the donors. Yes that would be a good idea. If I did not have time out problems in the past I would not have known about the clock and instead he would have stabbed me a few more times all for nothing.) The end result was they did not get any blood. I have a bruised arm after quite a few painful needle stabs and lost a couple of hours. This is the second time I have tried to unsuccessfully donate due to their screw ups since they closed their permanent facility in the town next door. One more strike and I am done with donation attempts until I leave CT. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

...twocat//........know the feeling,

I've actually clotted the line and then they collapsed several veins trying to get blood.

............since I'm A-negative I still go in if they call for it

not fun

................ps.........ask for a 26-gauge needle, it helps

================

...but I digress.......

pouring here too

20-min cycling  x-bike increasing tension every 100-pedals

and

40-min PoolRun with letters

............good running and work-outs to the rest of ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....