Masters Running

Weekly Newbies Starting June 25th (Read 444 times)

Teresa and Linda, I'm so glad that you're able to do more now! I know what a relief it is to be able to start moving again! Laurie, I've had those days where you want to just put everything behind you and just run till you drop! Sorry about the bf situation. I hope there soon are more ups than downs! Good luck on your "test run" today. Debbie, what'd the podiatrist have to say? Hope you're doing alright! Hi Kevin and Eliz! Roberta, so sorry about your foot. I found it humorous, though, that you've used your childbirth breathing for other things too. Comes in handy every so often, doesn't it!? I'm crossing my fingers for you and hope your visit at the podiatrists goes well. Well, I have some great news. I finally did my first race after about 19 years! It was a 10k in Frankenmuth MI. Here's a report I cut from another thread. I've also been keeping pretty busy around here and seems like it's hard finding the time to post! Lots of summer fun! Now we're trying to plan a camping trip. We got a new 3 room tent last year and want to take our kids soon. I can't wait! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ This was so much fun! My first race in about 19 years and DH did it with me! The 1st 1/2 of the course was through farmlands and country roads, then finished through quiet neighborhoods, with many spectators cheering us on and various entertainment from little girls dancing to different music playing. The whole atmosphere was fun, the town, Frankenmuth MI, is absolutely GORGEOUS; no one beats their flowers and landscaping! I played it pretty safe at the beginning and didn't push too hard as I didn't want to keel at the end. A minute or so after the cannon shot, DH was ahead of me and kept looking back like he was waiting for me. I smiled and waved him on as I'd already told him to just go for it and do his best. He didn't need to wait for me! I freaked, though, because I was pretty close to the end of the line of the 10k several minutes after we began. I looked behind me and did NOT see too many people. "Oh criminey. I'm going to be last!" People were still passing me, but I plodded on, knowing I take forever to warm up and figured I'd probably be passing some of them pretty soon. I probably was taking it too easy as I kept trying to talk to everyone as we went along the beautiful country roads. I got mainly grunts and huffs and puffs. I'm commenting on the beautiful farm fields, "Oh, how'd you like to run these roads every day!!?!", "Wow! Look at that landscaping!" and no one's really talking to me! So I decided this was definately a sign I needed to shut up and focus. The course wasn't flat, but the hills that were there didn't seem too big and they were pretty gradual, so though not struggling, I was still working harder. Also, at the beginning, my breathing had been a bit difficult. Even though I was talking ocassionally, the humidity was high and I went out faster than what I normally do. I still was pretty comfortable, but I knew things could definately be better. Still, I was enjoying the whole thing. When we got into town I finally started feeling like I was warmed up and put some more effort into it. The funniest part was a point in town when I was just running along all by myself and suddenly *poof* there was this guy out of nowhere behind me. He was probably in his 20's or early 30's, but seemed to be really working at it and said, "I'm just trying to catch up to you!!" Wow! Someone's trying to catch up to ME. That just struck me as funny. I told him, "Ohhh! You can do it if I can do it! Come on!", waving my arm forward, but I was already losing him. I did see him sitting on the grass after the race, so I, along with my DH, went up and congratulated him. I started passing some more people and at about the 5th mile a lot of people were walking or running/ walking. I was going slow, but steady, and didn't take any walk breaks other than when I took water. I haven't mastered the drink-from-the-cup-while-running yet! I reached the final stretch and then DH appeared, who'd already finished, ran with me for maybe 1/4 mile and the finish was just around another corner. He left and I zipped on, though I was feeling pretty pooped by now! Going into the finish I almost tripped because I got this surge of energy and my body almost went ahead of my legs. But I didn't trip (thank goodness!!) and made it to the end! I didn't puke, I didn't fall over, I WASN'T LAST!, and felt GREAT! What a nice route and race, shared with the person I love the most! Best thing is DH said he couldn't believe how great he felt. We normally run together when the kids are in school, but he hadn't run since school had been out as they're too little to leave by themselves. He said he'd definately do it again too! WOOT! I made it in 1:11:20 and think his was 1:00:something. Very happy!! Photobucket
      L's. So youre not running at all? Hows the foot for everyday stuff? I think if you cant run at all the a triip to the podiatrist is a good idea. Dang sorry to hear that. Keep up with the pool stuff as much as possible. You can keep in good shape swimming. Great race report sockoni. I am glad some of us are running. So whens the next race? Did 6 slow miles today. MOre than an hour to run them. Then I bottomed out again. About an hour later I didnt have the energy to stand up. Its so weird. I think a visit to my regular doctor is in order. This is the 3rd time recently that this has happened. I think its either diet related or heat/humidity dehydration related. Sore now. In a funk. Had a great day yesterday with sort of bf. We went to the beach and just relaxed. Today he ignores my calls and canceled out of dinner plans. Its a freakin roller coaster. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Great job, Joni! How exciting! You're brave to do a race after that long a break! I'm glad you didn't puke, fall over, or come in last! Big grin I ran 3.4 miles today. My ankle is not hurting, but I can feel it. I'd better be careful, huh?? Laurie, sorry to hear you're not feeling well - I hope the doctor can help. The bf thing is frustrating! That happened to me with one guy in college. I thought we got along well, and had fun together, then he just dropped all contact. I wish he'd just been upfront with me and let me know what the deal was! I must say, when DH came along, we hit it off instantly and were never apart more than a few hours from about the second week we knew each other. He proposed in three months, and we got married a year later.
        lswife

No, flyin', I'm not running at all anymore. When I've tried to, there's a little pain for the first few minutes then suddenly so much that I can't take another step. teresa - sweet story about your finding DH.
          lswife

No, flyin', I'm not running at all anymore. When I've tried to, there's a little pain for the first few minutes then suddenly so much that I can't take another step. teresa - sweet story about your finding DH.
              Theresa, Are you taping? My daughter uses kinisio tape on her knees and it makes a difference. L's, Did you say cycling is ok? When are the doctor appts? Deep tissue massage today after work and then swimming. Its a great combo for sore muscles. Still in a funk. DD went to fit camp Sunday. She has called and emailed 3 times saying she hates it. I feel awful now and worry about her. It sounded like a cool camp and they have a 60% return camper ratio and most of the counselors were campers there as kids. I hope she comes around and likes it. Telling sort of bf today that that is what he is and that we will no longer be exclusive. Been hovering around that decision for a long time and made it today. Now my priorities are kids, school and marathon training. I am so soured on men that they can take a hike. Sorry Mike and Kevin I dont mean you guys. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

no offence taken. I'm just glad I don't have to date these days. (DW wouldn't be thrilled for one thing Wink )

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Laurie, good luck with the discussion with sort of bf. I'm with Kevin - I wasn't very good at the dating stuff. Kevin, thanks for the reminder about taping. I did that a couple of weeks ago, and then forgot about it. I will give that a try tomorrow!
                    I actually went running yesterday, for the first time in almost three weeks! Big grin Well, "running" is more euphemistic than ever, but I was moving and there were microseconds in between each step during which I was airborne, so I'm calling it running. Smile Did 5 miles altogether - walked the first, then 2.5 of a run/walk mix, then 1.5 more of walking in 80+ degree heat and humidity. No soreness AT ALL last evening or today, so I'm cautiously optimistic that I'm getting back on track. I'm volunteering as a docent with the beach walks in my summer town and I did tag-along-with-the-experienced-guide tours last night and this morning. I'm learning so much about a place where I've spent almost every summer of my life. This morning was especially fun, because the guide I was working with brought his seigning net (not sure if that's spelled right), and we dragged it through the shallows and caught little tiny shrimp, shiners, and mole crabs. I thought I'd been a slacker for not riding my bike early this morning, but the beach walk was kind of like exercise, and pulling that net was HARD! Then I spent the afternoon kid-wrangling and playing on the beach with my three godsons, so I'm counting today as cross-training. Will definitely get out there earlier, when it's cooler, tomorrow morning for another walk/run excursion. I'm in a rush - might need to do this evening's beach tour - and I'm at the public library where the computer lab is full, so my online time is limited. Will make time for individual catching-up over the weekend. Meanwhile, happy running, healthy rehab, and take care, everyone, Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Teresadfp

One day at a time

That's good news, Eliz! I'm glad your run/walk went well. My friend, DD10, and I headed out this morning in 76-degree, high humidity conditions - brutal for us Mainers! Depending on my ankle, I was aiming for 4.4 miles of running. The ankle did fine, but the weather did us in. DD did 3 miles, my friend made it 3.3, and I got to 3.9. So I didn't reach my goal, but it's the farthest I've gone since my injury, so I'm happy. Friday is supposed to be cooler and less humid. My next PT session is tomorrow morning, so I'll see how that goes. Trying to get off for vacation Friday. I'm always worn out by the time we leave! Planning details for all of us, especially when the kids are going to 3 different camps, one of which is cross-country, is very grueling. Time to finish up my bookkeeping now.
                      stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I tried typing this yesterday, but something hung up and it didn't make it, and I didn't have time to re-type. I'm sure it won't be nearly as good as the first version Smile Joni--a little slow in mentioning it, but you ran a very good race and gave a good report. I took a look at your log and you have a great amount of long runs. Now you need to learn how to compress the 8 miles of effort into the 6.2 and your times will drop. I think that's where I can cut some time--learn to move outside the comfort zone a little. Eliz--glad you're back and posting from the shore. I think you may find that you've got more of a fitness backlog than you think when you start walking around with those out-of-shape summer folk. Go easy on them. Yesterday's run was slow and sloggy, mostly due to the fact that it was 75 and humid at 5:15am. I think I made it through all alst summer without having to run in 70's that early in the moerning. I spent most of the time thinking--I'm not ready to race on Sunday. BTW I just signed up for a 5K on Sunday. it's the race I did for my first race 2 years ago. I did just under 28:00 and was thrilled. It's around the lake where I do most of my running, so I have a good idea where I am on the course. I thought my training runs were getting faster, but after yesterday, I'm not so sure. I can only hope for a race PR as I seriously doubt a 25:00 is in the offing. Time to head home again. Best to all. and this time I'm copying before posting. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Kevin, I've done a PR on a hot humid day. It was July 4th last year. Try to get in with a group that seems like they are running at your goal pace and stick with them. The heat will slow you down. Good article in Runners World about it. Is it a popular race? Theresa, where are you going on vacation? I have one in camp this year. Weight loss camp at the local collge. It looks like fun. I wanted to go. She will be there for 3 weeks. The longest any of my kids has been away. The other kid is keeping busy lifeguarding. Where are yours going for camp? Laurie

An excellent XT day for me today. Did a 13-mile bike ride this morning. I've having such a fun time exploring our shore neighborhood here on the mainland. (So far, I've done all of my running/walking and biking near the house to save gas by not driving over to the island to exercise. Besides, the boardwalk too crowded with all those summer people! Well, I'm one of them, sort of, I guess.) Then a magical 1-1/2 hour kayak tour at high tide - saw 9 baby seagulls and the young osprey are just starting to fly. Laurie - sorry about the BF stuff. It's so hard. I'm seeing more of "kayak guy" from last summer - the "was that a date or not" guy, not on dates, or even quasi-dates, but I've done a few beach tours with him and see him a lot at the kayak place. Now that I'm totally over him, he's much more fun to hang out with as a buddy. Go figure! Thanks for the update on Mike. Hope he get settled in his new house and joins us again soon. Joni - awesome job on your 10K! Kevin - good luck with the 5K Sunday. Robert - sorry about the PF and the cortisone - those shots are especially nasty. Keep up with the bike and pool. Teresa - hope your recovery continues to go well. Happy weekend, everyone! Eliz Smile

flomotioncoaching.com

Rindaroo

Hey guys - well I was doing really well & then I crashed & burned last weekend. I'm not sure why... but the nerve re-flared up & I was in tons of pain again Sad After 1 week of doing nada & back up to 3 pills a day, its feeling better.... well couldn't do much anyway, I was working 12-14 hours a day this last week. Joni - yay on the race! Roberta - hang in there! Eliz & Kevin - hey there!! CYL
                                Linda, did the running agrivate it? Are you still running or just resting? Eliz, any word on job for next year? Sounds like you are having fun there. What a way to spend the summer. I have to complain, sorry. I woke up this AM and everything hurt from my shoulders down to my ankles. I had a fun run scheduled with the club and on top of it I planned on arriving early to run extra with my running partner. Every fiber in my body told me to go back to bed. But I got up and wanting to be a reliable parter, got to the fun run early and did a few miles with partner and a few more miles with the club. So now I pay for it. I ache all over. I am overdoing it again. SO I promised myself two days of rest before doing anything. But then I just got a WII fit game and its adicting. I will have to exercise restraint. Laurie