Masters Running

Weekly Newbies Starting June 25th (Read 444 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I know it's a double cheat, but not sure everyone here reads the daily and I didn't post an actual RR. So this is a copy. I had a nice little 5K for my run today. Nothing spectacular, so I'm going to cheat and sneak it into the daily. This was the 9th Take the Lake race around scenic Lake Quannapowitt in Wakefield, MA. This is my usual training route, so very familiar and also this was my first race 2 years ago after starting to run in March of that year. The starting line is about a 1/2 mile walk from my house so I walked over to get my packet, walked back to drop it off (no storage problems Smile ) and trotted back for warmup. it was already 75 shortly after 8 this morning, so I wasn't expecting great things. Splits were 8:20 (about what I hoped for), 16:50 (strong headwind), 25:20 (there goes the PR Tongue ) and 26:29 finish for an 8:33 pace. Since I'm only a month and a half back into rebuilding base after a month and a half of shin splint recovery, and an incredibly crappy run on Friday, I'm not displeased. it actually felt like I had less left than when I did run my PR, although not yet to the "embrace the puke" level that someone who I can't credit once quoted. I think getting out of my comfort zone is as important to me as increased training for improved times. Running harder than I like in hotter weather is a good start. I had the usual placing problems with the fast old guys (50-59) 15/36 AG but a somewhat better OA-- 201/636. Wore my favorite boutique Tarjay racing outfit--black shorts, red top, and GTS7's. oh, and an old Nova Scotia hat that's become a favorite running hat. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Me

Hello Everyone, I am back. I found a house to rent in Dayton TN. It's perfect for the dogs and me. There are still boxes all over the house and I can't find anything. The stuff I can find, I don't know where to put. Work is busy. I have been trying to figure out who is who and how things work while trying to work on a project that is due Tuesday. It feels really good to be back at a power plant. So, things are going really good. I actually ran yesterday. I think it has been over a month now. I ran 3 miles at about a 10:22 pace. My legs were sore all day yesterday. I'll run again tomorrow morning. I met a guy at work that runs. He told me that he has run Boston twice and then started running ultras. He has run 9 ultras so far, including a 100 miler. He told me that's what I should consider. Tongue I'll look back through the postings to catch up. Mike Oh yeah, they have these things here called hills. Shocked
      stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Welcome back, Mike--glad to hear you've landed and things are going well. Yeah those hill things are tough Wink

Kevin, those are good times. Weather has a great effect on runs. The hotter it is out the harder it is to run. You body works harder keeping cool in the hot weather leaving you less to run with. But you did fine. I would be thrilled with those times. Mike, glad to hear from you. Glad youre running. Hills are a good thing. They will get you ready for Boston in no time. Stick to it. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

dg.

Hi everybody, Mike, welcome back! I'm so happy you're running again. How does it feel? hey. be careful, ease in to it a bit, eh? sore all day is not good.. at least take that into consideration for today's run, which i'm sure i'm too late for. you gotta be in shape for those ultra's. Big grin Laurie, I'm sorry about all the problems you've been having. How's DD doing at camp? Are you any less achy today? ok, i'll get the foot out of the way. (Laurie, thanks for the shoe suggestion. Joni, thanks for asking! ) It's called hallux rigidus, http://www.mdmercy.com/footandankle/conditions/bigtoe/hallux_rigidus.html my x-rays are like the second set. don't scroll down! unless you like pictures of surgery. I do not. The doctor thinks surgery is the best option, but i'm going to try other things first. Anyway, although I know it's caused a lot of other problems, I'm kind of figuring them out, and I've always been able to run with it.. it's not a new thing for me. It just really got bad lately. roberta, it was great to hear from you. don't feel like you can't post just because you can't run. I know it's hard sometimes, though. it's great you're staying active. so sorry about your foot. thanks for cheering! i will remember that. and Linda!!! I'm sorry! have you come up with any ideas on what could have caused this? {{{{ }}}} Joni & Kevin, congratulations. great reports. eliz, i'm so glad you're having fun at the shore. keep us posted. i had 2 full weeks off then started again a little last week... sunday did 1 lap (200 meters) at the gym after i did the elliptical, it hurt but i probably went too fast. wednesday 1 mile, friday 2.14, & yesterday decided i could not do one more elliptical workout on such a beautiful day & so ran 5.3 miles by the river. perfect day. baby bunnies all over the place. it was kind of hard, hr was too high & foot hurt by the end but it's ok now so yippee. mta. morning laurie! and i would be thrilled with those times too.

Me

Hello Everyone, Well, 3 miles this morning on a road that has a lot more traffic at 5:00 than I thought it would. Hmmm. I think I need to rethink that route. That and dig through some of these boxes and find my reflective vest. Anyway, it feels great to be on the road again. The bottom of my left heel bothered me a little after I was done. The last time that happened, that signalled the end of life of my shoes. It may be time to pull the trigger on those Nimbus 10's Ive had my eye on. That can't be all bad. Laurie, Men, Women, Who needs 'em. I'm heading back to my "poor me, I'm single" mode again. Debbie, rigid what?!?!?! Are you allowed to tell me to be careful in the same post that you tell us that you hurt yourself? Isn't there a fine somewhere in there? Eliz, Did I miss something? You are moving to Jersey? I know you were unhappy but I missed what came after that. (I should probably be fined for asking you to rehash something that was already hashed.) Kevin, Awesome race. That doesn't sound like a bad finish at all. And to have it 5 minutes from your house? That's classic. Linda, I'm sorry you are still having issues with your shoulder. How is your Dad doing? He must be doing fairly well to think about going to disney. Roberta, Pf sucks. I didn't realize that it took so long to recover from. Good for you for sticking in there. Teresa, It sounds like things are going well despite a twingy ankle. Sockoni, Congratulations on your race. It sounds like you did it in grand style. I think it's funny the way you were talking to everyone. I ran a race with my son last year who is in the army. He ran with me and talked the whole way. He talked about the neighborhood we were running through, the cars we saw the people along the way. He never shut up. He told me (I had my tongue hanging out at this point) that he normally runs this pace . . . when he's carrying a 60lb ruck sack. It took everything in me to not shove him into the weeds. What a great time. Cheers everyone! Hey if I missed someone, Mike
              Rindaroo

Hey all - Geez work is killing me, didn't leave work til 10pm last night.. I really have had no time to do any exercise for the last week, which is probably a good thing because the nerve had been able to calm down some. Now, if I could only get everything caught up & back to normal..... Mike - hi! Yay on the running. So are you thinking about increasing to an ultra?? It actually turns out to be pinched nerve in my neck due to a bulging disc (or 3).. yikes! The question is how to make this go away... My dad, well they seem to have saved his fingers, but he's pretty sick still. In fact, right now he's at my brother's so that my stepmom can take a vacation with a girlfriend (he can't be left alone anymore because he just can't do much). As far as Disney, we'll be pushing him around in the wheelchair & he wants to go to see the kids enjoy themselves. But, he doesn't want to do any rides... He is so excited to see the kids Smile Kevin - yay on the 5K! The times sound pretty good to me Smile How are you feeling these days? Deb - 2 weeks off, due to injury? My brain is so fuzzy at this point, I think I've lost track. Re: reflaring the nerve, all i know is I did a run/walk 2 days in a row on my neighborhood hills (which actually felt really good). And spent some time playing video games later that day with the kids (which involved being in a bad position for awhile, hunching over).. Don't know if it was a combination of the two activities or not. Sad it took about 5 days for the upped dose of the anti-flams to do their job... but not quite sure what to think. I'm so swamped right now at work, trying to leave for vacation, that I think I'll wait til I get back to check in with the doc & see if she has any ideas. Take care of yourself! You know the drill. Hi Joni, Laurie & Roberta!
                dg.

Linda, 2 weeks off because of the foot thing. What is with your job?? meant to ask you about that before... didn't you say 12-14 hour days? Shocked I tend to think the video games might have really aggravated your nerves/discs.. when you hunch over & have to lift your neck it's hard on it. & I think it's easy to tense in general when doing that kind of thing. ( you know, the fierce competition. Wink ) You & I talked before about posture. Sounds like you must have pretty good posture at work. I forget.. is your neighborhood hilly? That might not have helped, if you had to look down &/or up for a while. thanks. I'm doing reasonably ok at that. You too!!!! (you know the drill better than anybody) {{{ }}} So. We have to wear headphones if we race with Joni, and make sure we don't get between Mike & roadside flora. Smile. Joni, really liked your report. You made it sound like so much fun. I'm almost tempted. Mike, rigid toes. And yes, I'm allowed. You have a problem with that? bill me. Big grin It's good to have you back. very nice morning for me. 15 min. on the elliptical, 4.3 mile run. assorted stability ball things. our weather couldn't be better. amazing what a difference that makes. Eliz, how is your foot? Laurie, do you still ache? hi to anyone I missed.
                  lswife

HI, everyone! Summer running and races sound like a lot of fun for all of you, sandwiched in between busy lives. Keep running! The podiatrist told me yesterday that, yes, PF is a chronic problem that I'll be prone to the rest of my life. Undecided Since nothing else has worked (taped foot and ankle/2 cortisone shots/2 kinds of anti-inflammatories /physical therapy), we're now trying more: celebrex and a nighttime foot splint, and he told me to be extra diligent about my foot exercises here at home. He said in two weeks I should feel the difference. (He also gave me my first annual "diabetic foot check," and I passed with no problem. Smile Again, if any of you are ever told that you are pre-diabetic [and it can happen to even slim, fit people], do everything you can to reverse it. Pre-diabetes can be reversed; but "once a diabetic, always a diabetic.") I've never sweated in a pool before until today's deep water aerobics class: an hour of back-and-forth in the Y's pool with all kinds of movements and weights and flotation devices to act as counter-weights. The other people did the movements gracefully and smoothly; I flailed around at times, churning the water and making big splashes until I got the hang of each movement. From my shoulders down to my toes, I felt it! Before I went, I was worried about two things: the temperature of the water and my "senior body." Well, I shouldn't have worried about either. The water wasn't icy (hurray), and everyone else in the class and even over in the lap lanes had similar bodies. Afterwards I went to the weight room to do a few machines and to look longingly at the treadmills. Eventually, I hope to run again and join you guys, but for right now, the doctors told me to not stress my foot. Even though the pool and water were so much fun, running is even more enjoyable.
                      Rest day yesterday, as I don't think driving 70+ miles home to PA and back in the same day counts as cross-training. My foot was more sore from all of the driving than it was after Sunday's run, but I think it was at least partly in my mind- I find that I have a new and different physical stress reaction every time I leave the Garden State. I guess the moral of that story is that I shouldn't leave, huh?!? Have had a great workout day so far today. Ran 4.0 and walked 1.5 early this morning, with longer running intervals than I've managed since my almost-3-week running hiatus. Then spent about 1-1/2 hours kayaking on the bay, about half of it against a fairly strong outgoing tide. It was going out so fast, in fact, that I almost ended up walking part of the way because the water was so shallow! Saw lots of young egrets, night herons, and glossy ibis. I'm becoming quite the naturalist, aren't I? Wink Beach walk tour tonight with kayak-boy - he told me he's brining the seigning net and I told him I'd eat some Wheaties so I'm strong enough to help him with it! Linda - glad to hear that your Dad is looking forward to Disney. Hope you manage to keep that nerve problem - and definitely those crazy hours at work - in check. Kevin - "not displeased" with a 26:29 time in a 5K?!? I'll say. That's my "Eliz on crack" time! (I'd settle for 36:29 at this point!) Super job on the race! How fun that it was so close to your house. Mike - you didn't miss a whole lot of details. The sordid tale of the last days of my school year are still so painful and so complicated that I'm still remaining pretty vague about the whole thing. The plan to move to the shore is still in its infancy, but the difference from earlier is that I'm now determined that it WILL happen, hopefully within the year. Good luck with the boxes. The logistics of packing and moving are one of the biggest barriers to my moving right now. Oh, that and the small detail of finding a job here . . . . Wink Roberta - I'm not a podiatrist (nor do I play one on TV) and I'm grateful to not have PF, but I strongly recommend that you follow through and do "be extra diligent about foot exercises." I have terrible issues with my ankles, and the only way I can run at all is to be extra diligent myself with the stretching and strengthening exercises that I learned from my fabulous podiatrist and physical therapist. Deb - I clicked on your link, but it said "page not found - mercy." If it had photos of surgery, it was probably a mercy that I didn't get to look at it. I'm such a wuzz about stuff like that, but of course, I would have had to look! Take care to follow your own advice about not pushing too hard, too soon, girl! Just saw a former student in the public library - a kid I met on my first day teaching middle school, on HIS first day of 5th grade. It was so great to see him and chat with him for a few minutes. I'm just trying to figure out how he got grown up enough to have gone from 5th grade to starting college while I'm still so youthful! Big grin Happy running, etc., all, Eliz Smile

flomotioncoaching.com

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

for those having trouble opening that link, if you look in the URL window you will see a bunch of stuff after the HTML. delete that and hit enter again and you'll be there.

Rindaroo

Okay last night was only 9 pm.... still exhausted. Debbie - Its quarter end, & this is first quarter I have prepared the income tax provision. Its like doing a mini tax return plus some additional tax related items on the financial statements. Previously my boss prepared & I assisted him. What a quarter to pick! Lots of issues this quarter, plus I still have my other sales tax responsibilities & am somehow going to be leaving on July29-Aug1 I told my DH to remind me next year, I cannot take a vacation in July due to quarter end... needs to be either June or August. I think you are right on the video games.. I had not played in a long, long time. The kids were begging me.... & yeah its a big ole competition with my DS. We have these bean bag chairs in this room, & not a good way for me to be sitting.... yes my route for the run/walk has hills, but I had been slowly increasing paying attention to how I felt. And I had absolutely no side effects from that, then spent a couple hours with the kids on the video games, & that evening the nerve flared... Sad Work station at work is fine. I have resituated it so that I sit very straight... (it is completely different from anyone else at work, and I'm actually having people ask about it.. lol) Okay, I'm late.. more fun with the tax provision this morning...
                            Lots of catching up to do here. Eliz, So from what I understand you are back in PA. Are you going back to NJ this summer? Yes if you stress when you leave NJ then you should just stay there and become a guide and naturalist. I am sad that you left school sad at the end. I really do hope you find a place to live and a job that keeps you happy. When you do you will be, along with Mike, my inspiriation to get back to my home state and out of my crazy job. Eliz on crack?! Is that what it takes? Maybe I should try some. Mike, try mapmyrun.com. You can find tried and true runs that are fairly traffic free. Lots of runs are posted there. Break the bank and buy the 10s and let us know how they are. I am startin to like the poor me I'm single mode. When bf didnt show up to watch the kids softball game like he said he would he became ex bf. L's, never fear the gym, especially the Y. I think most of them keep the temp warm unless they have a swim team there. Never worry about what you look like in the gym. Thats my moto. Linda, generic video games bad. WII sports and Fit good. I bought one and its awesome. It gets the kids (and moms) off the couch and up moving around. I am hooked. Slouched over with a video game controller is probably the worst thing you can do for your arm. Deb, orthotics? Soreness is gone. I was going to take 2 days off exercising but due to logistics (kid needed my car) I biked home from work on Monday. Was forced to take Tues off since we spent the day looking for a car. But we are now a 2 car family (and broke). Bought the cutest little honda civic 2 door coupe. Red with red and black interior, leather seats, performance wheels and tires, sun roof. Had to drop coverage of my CRV down to liability to afford the civic. Insuring a teen in Mass is killer. Would have been $3200 a year for both full coverage. She needs to graduate and move out. I cant afford her anymore. Kayaking for the first time this year yesterday with a friend. Then we did some across the lake swimming and laying in the sun. Great time overall and the swimming got rid of my soreness like it always does. Rode to work today. 12 miles each direction. Running partner and I recruited another runner. So the three of us start up on Sunday. They are both faster runners than me, so I will have to get used to eating dust. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Me

Hello Everyone, Laurie, Good for you. He deserves to be the ex-bf. B@st@rd. I've been on mapmyrun. Unfortuanately, this is a VERY small town. Like around 6,000 people. So, there aren't that many routes mapped out. I did make one up that takes me through downtown. Much less traffic on this route. I ran this morning, but I'm not sure how far. I missed my turn, so I ran 'till I figured I had gon far enough and then turned around and ran home. I also forgot to start my watch. I looked at it a little while into the run and it read "5:20". I thought to myself, "Wow, I sure thought I've been running longer than 5 minutes". Plus that was the longest half mile I've ever done. I looked a little while later and it read 5:36. Yep, time to go home. Sometimes it takes a little while for the 'ole brain box to get working in the morning. Cheers All! Mike
                                Laurie - I'm still officially a PA resident, but I'm spending most of the rest of the summer in NJ. Will be here two full weeks this time around before I have to make my next trek back to the Keystone State for a couple of days. I had a dream the other morning, though, where I very clearly saw my car with NJ license plates. Smile My best friend and I had an amazing evening last night. We splurged on a Full Moon Kayak Tour in a town about 15 miles south of where I usually paddle. "Magical" barely begins to describe the experience. First we had dinner in this great little hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurant, then we spent three hours out on the water, watching the sun set and the full moon rise and filling our spirits with the wonders of nature. Just incredible. Managed my longest run since I got back in the game on July 4 in the heat and humidity this morning - ran 4.5 miles and walked 2.1. I still don't know how I'm going to manage a HM in a little over 10 weeks, but I'm keeping an open mind about it training as if it's really going to happen for me. Shocked Happy weekend, everybody. Smile Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com