Masters Running

Weekly Newbies Starting June 25th (Read 444 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Eliz--that moonlight paddle sounds amazing. It's pretty neat being on our lake up in Maine at night either with full moon or new moon (the Milky Way comes out), but being out on the ocean must make it really intense. Linda--I always knew video games were hazarous to your health.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Rindaroo

Re the videogames: the sacrifices you make for kids.... actually hadn't done that in a couple of years or so.. Laurie - DD is saving her money for a Wii... it might be awhile. I refuse to buy another game console or games even, I am not supporting the habit anymore. So, they have to save their money & work their rear's off around the property to earn extra money. Thinking work has slowed down, actually came home by 6:15 last night - woohoo! Think I'll go out & get some exercise & do a bunch of fun stuff with DD today.
      Rindaroo

2 miles mostly walking, but about 1/2 mile of it running. boy that couple of weeks off sure hurt me... oh well, it couldn't be helped, between work & kids.
        dg.

Linda, yay! that's progress. i know. but it is. ok. No More Videogames for you young lady. Now I understand why you've been working those hours. Hope it will get easier once it's a routine. Glad it's settling down a little. You know, my neck has been bothering me a lot lately. I keep trying to identify what I'm doing that's different. Hard, because I keep changing what i do & the cause & effect isn't always immediate.. I do have to stop tree trimming for a while. 2 chiropractor visits recently, each time it was way out of alignment. Eliz good for you. both for the very cool Kayak Tour, & your longest run in a while. I think your training approach is just right. Thanks for the good advice. Smile. good timing. happy paddling, Kevin. How much time are you spending in Maine? How's Max? Mike, I'm glad you've found a better route. Is it a little eerie to be downtown that early? I've not started my watch a couple of times lately too. So, I have to blame my brain box? sigh. I was hoping it was , um, well probably my polar's fault. that was the best i could do. Wow that's a small town! How far are you from work? Laurie, I hope Sunday works out & you like the other runner. I've actually been thinking about running with a group, believe it or not. probably won't! but I'm thinking about it. I ran a little with someone last week at the gym, & it was actually fun. There's a marathon training group that I could join in with sometimes, at my usual river route. & one other one. Problem is (besides the fact that there will be people there!! and that i will also be eating dust) is that they don't start till 8:00. Thanks for the orthotic suggestion. Doc says surgery would be better, not sure if the orthotics would help or not, & my insurance doesn't cover them. I have an approach I'm trying for now, which is more along the barefoot running philosophy & the direct opposite of what I've been told to do. But I'm tweaking it along with what I can figure out about what irritates these joints, & will just have to see how it works. I got some Nike Frees. didn't you have problems with them? How much did you run in them? I'm only going to do a little, & build very gradually. 600 meters so far. ;0. Roberta, I think it's great all the things you're trying to do. I bet you're still motivating all of your family! I've lost track a little, has anyone suggested pool running to you? They must have. But just in case not, it's supposed to be great. & should be fine for your foot. There are a couple of great links, if you'd like them, let me know. Hi Joni, & anyone else I've missed. I forget what i reported last. feeling a little crummy, so i took friday off. thursday was the elliptical & 3.3 miles. today was house cleaning & gardening. & resting. hoping for a good run tomorrow. I'm re-reading a book on running & the alexander technique. I like it. happy weekend!
            Deb, Yeah try the Nike Free. If it turns out you cant run in them then they are great for casual sneakers. I wear mine to work on the weekends and around town when I am in sweats. Now you know why my kids want to put me on that show, What Not to Wear. They have a point. Linda, the WII is so worth it. The whole family can play. And there is an article on it in the current runners world magazine. They are using it for rehab patients in PT. My family loves it. Heres a funny story about it. I was skiing on it and couldnt get my skier to turn like I wanted him to. It seemed it was all wrong and he was turning the wrong way. I was frustrated as he_l. I was saying to myself 'I know how to ski, this is all wrong'. Then my daughter and her bf came in an watched for a bit. She noticed that I had the board pointing backwards. So my left foot was on the right and my right was on the left. Boy did they get a good laugh out of that. Glad I am good for something. But yeah, make them work for it. I make my kids earn their money too. Kevin, you still up there? Lucky dog. I ran 9+ today!. My longest ever. 3 times around the lake. I felt ok. A little sore now. But I am taking it easy today. No lawn mowing for me. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

lswife

Hey, dg, thanks for the suggestion about pool running. I'm dying to run again - anyplace! I've been doing the foot exercises daily and icing my foot each evening and if all goes well, will try walking/slow running this week. I miss it, and reading all of your reports makes me "hungry." 9+, flyin? WOW!!

Me

Hello Everyone, Laurie, that is so funny about skiing on the Wii. My only experience with a Wii was boxing and bowling at my sister's house. We had a boxing tournament and I was beat to a bloody pulp by my niece. 4 miles for me this morning. I ended up walking for about 2.5 minutes around 3.25 miles. The humidity was over 80% and these hills are killing me. I know my HR was alot higher than it should have been, but it was great to be out. I'm off to have dinner with a former boss who is vacationing with her family in Gatlinburg. Cheers, Mike
                  L's, I hope you are running this week. Advice from my PTist. Warm up, stretch, run slowly a short distance, cool down, stretch. I followed her advice to the T because I didnt want a relapse. Mike, never compete against a kid on a video game. They will win every time. I learned this the hard way. Legs feel good today. I think I might try mowing the lawn later. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

lswife

Hey, flyin' - That's exactly what I'm going to do. I went to my family doctor today who gave me a semi-go-ahead to begin running. I plan on beginning tomorrow morning (Wednesday) by just walking for a bit - maybe 30 minutes. I'll remember your sequence: warm up, stretch, run/walk, cool down, stretch. A registration form for next May's Indianapolis mini-marathon came in the mail yesterday. Our daughter wants to run the mini while I'm ready to do the 5K again. But I'm thinking about registering for the mini, and if I'm not ready next May, I can always "go down" to the 5K; they don't let people move up from the 5K to the mini after the mini is full. Thanks for the encouragement, all. Roberta - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - I wrote the above yesterday and walked today, briskly for 1.25 miles. It was so tempting to try to run, but without any activity (except for water aerobics which didn't do too much) I told myself to be content to walk this week and begin running next week, possibly Week 1 of C25K. .
                    Rindaroo

Roberta - yay on the go ahead to run again! We are leaving on vacation tomorrow - YAY! I'm going to enjoy this one. Haven't been able to get much exercise in this week with work & preparing for vacation... but I plan to recharge & get some running in on vacation. Oh by the way, I'm down to 1 anti-inflammatory a day Smile Smile
                      dg.

Hi! Linda, I was just this morning trying to remember when your vacation is. oh boy tomorrow! I'm so glad you're doing better. phew. are you still having pt? I hope your vacation is wonderful. You definitely better find some time to relax. hey. you'll appreciate this. I took my polar in to the 'care center' to be checked, & they sent it to New York for warranty work. They were getting inconsistent readings. I'm afraid to get my hopes up too much, but maybe the HR hasn't been as high as it has been reporting. Last week once (the day I felt bad, so I know it was high) it said the max was 201, it's usually at least 185. Roberta, what good news! You are so determined. It's so encouraging to read. oh, you're welcome re the pool running suggestion. I found a couple of links & saved them, but they're at home. One I could find easily .... hold on, i'll be right back. Ok. http://pfitzinger.com/labreports/water.shtml The schedule is pretty ambitious, but if you are interested in trying it as a backup to your running, you could tweak it a bit I think. It also has a lot of good information. I say go for the mini. (smart choice on your walk.) Laurie, congrats on your 9 miler! How are you doing now? Very funny ski story. Wink. I'm doing ok, feet back to their usual state, I think. Still trying to figure out the shoe issue. Runs this week were Sunday, 6.15, Tuesday 5.3, Wed, 3.3 & today, I think, 4.2 Like I said I was polar-less today. Most difficult. At the track, trying to count laps. Wanted to carry a bag of small items (rocks. cupcakes)(4 miles = 32 cupcakes Big grin) that I could toss into the stretching area & count when I was done, but thought they might not appreciate that. hi to Eliz, Joni, Kevin, & all. Hi Mike. How was your dinner? Nice to have visitors like that. Well, you know hills always made a big difference for me too, I whined about them often enough. I like running them, but not what it does to my HR. build up gradually. no more injuries.

Me

Hello Everyone, Roberta - congrats on the go ahead (kinda) to run. Take it easy. Laurie- Believe me, I learned the lesson about kids and video games a looooonnnngggg time ago. I've been getting my butt kicked in that department for almost 20 years now. Linda - Yay on the medication reduction. Have fun on vacation. Is this the Disney trip? Enjoy yourself and your Dad. Debbie, They got lost. It was raining buckets. they gave up and went back to their hotel. So, I treated myself to dinner and Fat Tire Ale. hey, maybe we can find you one of those clicker/counter things that you can carry with you. Where would you look for one of those? These hills and the temps have been kicking my butt. Then I remembered back to C25K, how if you are having trouble with anything. . . slow down. So I did. The 3 miles on Wed were great. 4 miles this morning, great. I'm so excited. I also, finally was able to get my introduction to the company's health facility that is onsite. My key card should work this coming week. It's full of treadmills, stationary bikes, elllipticals and weight equipment. I can't wait. Cheers Everyone! Mike
                            Mike, You can beat the heat by working out inside. Dont worry I never lied. Practice your video game so when you see your neice she wont think you are so lame. Deb, Oh gee did you try the Nike Free? But 6.15 miles brings you many smiles. Linda, take your medication on vacation. Say hello to Minnie Mouse just dont invite her into your house. L's, I am glad you can run...do have fun...but remember its still cool to run in a pool. Stumpy and Theresa are running in Maine, where its cool and comfortable and they feel no pain. This is no pun, I headed out for a 5 mile run. Got lost after 3. Fortunately I did not have to pee. Please do not frown, I got lost in my own town. I ran up hills. I saw no mills. After an hour I was losing power. After running six, I felt good, even though I was lost in my own neighborhood. Word

edited

Me

Word