Masters Running

Stevie Ray's Scorch The Earth stunt run (Tacoma Marathon) (Read 195 times)

xor

The Tacoma Marathon is a super hilly marathon co-RDed by one of the founding Maniacs. We all team up to do various volunteer duties (I worked packet pickup) and even though it is a small race, there are Maniac-led pace groups. It was a beautiful day and so I decided to have some fun. To set the stage, I took last weekend off... but before that, I'd run 5 marathons and 1 50k in the previous six weekends. I PRed that 50k two weekends ago and came in 14th. My post-chemo marathon PR is 3:28, set on this weekend last year at Eugene. I had no hopes of pulling a PR on Tacoma's hilly course, nor was I going to try. That attempt will come in July, and as preparation for that, I needed to get some fast miles in a long run this weekend. So I decided to do something weird. And I declared this yesterday in facebook, so I'm not retroactively creating history with this report. I wanted to play one-man shuttle relay with the pace groups. I'd start with the slowest pace group (4:15), run a mile... then catch the next (faster) pace group, run a mile, etc. The rule was: minimum, one mile. And since I don't wear a garmin, what this meant was that I'd have to catch a group... run to a mile marker, then I'd be "on the clock" with them until the next mile marker... then I'd take off again. So I might have to run almost 2 miles with a group while the faster groups would be pulling farther ahead. I said in facebook that my goal was to work through 4:15, 4:00, 3:50, 3:45, 3:40, and hopefully touch 3:35. My secret hope was that I could hang with 3:35 for the rest of the race, but outwardly, I figured I might blow up and have to slow way down in the final miles. This would be ok... I'd still get in my workout. How did I do? Oh, I added one wrinkle at the start. I walked to the back and was the last person over the line. Mind you, this is a itty bitty race (less than 400 full marathoners), so it wasn't like this added much. Well, except for the psychology. As I started my day, I began to wonder how aggressive this plan would be. As I left one pace group in search of the next faster group, I certainly didn't want to sprint. It needed to be somewhat gradual. 4:15, check. 4:00, check. 3:50, check. 3:45, check. 3:40, check. I caught this group about M9 and stuck with them for an extra mile though M11. Oh. The race gets super insanely hilly at M10 through M18. I hit the half at 1:49. Onward. Onward. Couldn't find the 3:35 guy! After awhile, I started asking the people what happened to him. Turns out, he decided to pass 3:30 and run faster (???). M20. My ass hurts. Feels like a snake bit me. Onward. For awhile, I thought I could catch 3:30. I tried. By M23, I could tell it wasn't happening. I was running a faster pace than they probably were, but I was gonna hit the finish before overtaking them. My ass still hurts. Finish. 3:33. 1:49/1:44 split. So I ran the second half faster than the 3:30 folks. Fastest race since my 3:28 last year (exception: If I hadn't had stomach problems, I probably would have run a 3:30-3:32 at San Antonio last November). Still cool though, especially since I sandbagged the first half. I feel fine. My ass no longer hurts. Here I am at the finish looking extra bald. The weird cuffs are some of those arm warmer dealies, but it got too warm and those things are too expensive to ditch. I walked a couple miles after the race. Scorch the Earth. (yeah, I know that 3:33 is no great shakes for many of you. Still was fun as a stunt run) Fun workout.

It got too warm? for you? And you call that bald? Sheesh, you are too critical. Interesting workout, er, marathon. Nice finishing time too. Glad your butt is feeling better. Go get em in July.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Tramps

You are a nut case. And I mean that in the best possible way. Big grin What a unique plan and a great race. Not many folks could pull this off. And I'm glad your pain in the ass is gone.

Be safe. Be kind.

dg.

Way To Go Bobo Lolo. (I mean that most sincerely)
          HermosaBoy

Great race -- a very interesting way to run. I like it!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

What a cool idea, that is if you are capable and of course you were. You sound like you had fun with it too so a double bonus. Congrats Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Great job!
                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Maniac 505

Robert: when you left the 4:15 pace group, you took off like a bullet. I was wondering where you got that after burner (I didn't know your plan at the time). I used to be sorta fast, maybe some day I can join you for part of a run. Still I took 15-20 minutes off my yakima time from last month and it was a beautiful day!!! Dave
                  RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

SRL, My first thought, "This is really weird." My second thought, "I wish I was a good enough runner to do this."

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

King of PhotoShop

This is just great! And more evidence of the notion of controlled pacing and starting slow. Your recent change in training may also have been a factor. Well done. Spareribs
                      coastwalker

Hi Robert, There aren't many people who would think up a stunt like this. There are fewer still who would consider it after hearing about it. And there are even fewer than that who could have a chance of pulling it off! But you did a right fine job, and ran a great race (sore ass, not withstanding...)! Congrats on finding a unique way to run negative splits, and on your best marathon time in a year. Are you going to trademark the "Scorch The Earth" approach to marathons?? Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Renee the dog

Imaginative! And, well-executed! Thanks for the great read. Smile

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

This is awesome and what a good way to mix it up and end up with a super time. As for the photo, I think you look great---bald? Not seeing that---I see a strong and younger looking than his ID says-- talented runner.
                              srlopez, that was a real neat plan you had, and executed so well. I agree that there are darn few runners who could have done it. Congratulations on a fast and neat race. TomS
                              wildchild

Carolyn

You're a very cool dude. Strange, but cool. Cool

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.