Masters Running

Saturday's Daily, 1.27.18 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Friday’s workouts:
    Dave59 (5 morning miles in 23° temps)
    RunnerKSA (5.5 sunny 60° miles with windage)
    Holly (4.2 morning TM miles + 35 min of weights)
    Tomwhite (50 min of X-bike)
    Tet (45 min of morning Aquafit)
    Bioguy (EZ 7.5 post-work miles)
    Wildchild (vacation climbing & hikes)
    Surly Bill (7.5 miles at 8:10 pace with a 13:00 3K in the middle)
    Spacityrunner (3 neighborhood miles in 60° temps)
    Falconfixer (10+ post-work miles at 8:15 pace in upper 50s temps)
    Evanflein (35 pool minutes without the bunny)
    Mariposai (2 mile walk)
    Twocat (1 hr on the elliptical)
    Tammy (4.7 post-work miles with friends)

Good luck to those who are ailing (Evanflein, Mariposai, etc.). Don’t worry about the pace bunny - it’s only a silly wabbit.

I had lots of meetings this week, plus I submitted a grant application for a first-of-its-kind project (won’t hear if we get it till April - long time to keep my fingers crossed). I did 6+ miles workouts on Thursday and Friday mornings, but had no time to post. I’m heading off for a group racewalking training session this morning, and then DW and I are going to an indoor farmer’s market. I’d love to lay low this afternoon ‘cause I’m worn out, but I have some household projects on which I need to ketchup. For dinner last night, we had Italian-seasoned pork roast and spicy roasted potatoes with Dijon mustard, rosemary and smoked paprika (NY Times recipe) - pretty tasty.

Have a grerta Saturday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good luck with the grant, Jay.

8.1 Florida miles.  Did better than I expected (not fast by any means, but I wasn’t too miserable by the end).  Flat. Very flat.   Liking the Hoka Arahis.  They have a little bit of stability (which I can do without, but it doesn’t bother me) and a more durable outsole than Clifton.  Still less bulky than Bondi.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Dave59

I was up early enough to run on the narrow neighborhood streets. I put on my reflective vest and headlamp and ran 3.68 miles. Only encountered 2 cars and only one threatened my life going 45 in a 25 and not giving me space, but at least it was on a section of the road where there was room to bail if needed.

When it comes to pedestrians, WV drivers are the worst I have ever encountered.  They would just as soon run you down in a crosswalk than wait a few seconds for you to clear.  I don't remember it being like this the first time I live in WV but maybe I had grown used to it.  In Houston and then in Midland Michigan most drivers were very kind to walkers and runners.  Maybe I got used to that and now I see the utter carelessness/selfishness of the drivers around here (and in Charleston where I work.)

bioguy

10.2 Galloway-style miles this morning.

Have to do some grading today as report cards are due out soon. The flu has been devastating my classroom however and a couple days this week we had close to 1/5th the student population out.

Tailwinds!

...mild and drizzly.....

50-min HH with Hills

Knee was a little niggly (it happens when your foot straightens out literally overnite)

so

looks like x-bike tomorrow (ugh)

............good Running to Ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

I realized I never popped in and posted last weekend.  I did a 6.2 mile jog/run on a mostly flat path.  Then my feet hurt the rest of the day, so I might order new shoes today.

I vowed to try to get a run in mid-week but somehow that just didn't happen.  I think I am going to have to block out a recurring time on my work calendar for 2 hours at lunch on Wednesdays with just "busy", and of course, bring my running gear to work.

Interesting thread about retirement.  That is so far away for me, with one kid to start college next year and another will start 2 years later.  Sometimes I feel like I already had my retirement during those 5 years when both kids were in school and I was not working and I ran whenever I wanted.

It rained so much here last week, that I started looking at flights to well, anywhere else!  Can I fly domestically without a valid passport, without a valid green card?  My passport is currently being renewed in Canada and the Naturalization to be a US citizen - well, I applied in April and still haven't gotten the interview, although I am on the list.  It was only supposed to take 6 to 8 months!

I decided to go for my company's incentive plan (200 dollars) to have a cholesterol check.  One option was a home kit, which I decided to do to save time going for an office visit.  I had to prick my finger and put 4 big drops of blood on a test strip.  I could only get 2 drops out of one finger, but luckily they sent 2 lancets in the kit.  I got another 2 drops out of another finger, but also not that easy.  Part of the test said I had to weigh myself and write that on the form.  So I did.  UGH!!!!   Time to cut out the pizza and beer and get serious about running!

ETA:  Oh, I did post last week!   Senioritis!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

pfriese

I had a nice 8 mile run on a beautiful day today.

Paul

Marathon Maniac #957

Just 4 miles for me today in a light mizzle that turned into a drizzle and then steady rain.  Tomorrow will be colder but at least dry.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

spacityrunner

Got three miles done. It was hot and humid.  Go figure...gotta love the south.

Trails Rock!

Henrun

2.7 miles around the local reservoir in the high 30’s before spending the afternoon watching the Met production of Tosca in HD at a local movie theater.

C-R

10 on the treadmill today. Rain here so i decided to watch soccer and run.

Kiddo finished 2nd at sectional wrestling. Very proud of him. Tough sport.

Good weekend all.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Marathon Maniac #957

Kiddo finished 2nd at sectional wrestling. Very proud of him. Tough sport.

Well Done!!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

9.2 miles on the Cochise trail - I ran from our campsite to the high point of the trail, which is the divide between the east and west sides of Cochise Stronghold.Beautiful country!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, beautiful day in eastern North Carolina (although Holly's rain is coming).  Joined a group (5 of us total) for a bike ride this morning.  More wind than anyone thought, but a good time.  I wound up pulling quite a bit (we ride two abreast).  My total (I biked to the meeting point) was 36.8 miles and I wound up averaging 16.4 mph.  In the afternoon I got in an easy run, 7.2 miles at just under a 9 minute pace.

coastwalker, good luck with the grant application.  The pork and potatoes sound good.  I used the crockpot today on a pork tenderloin (with potatoes, onions, carrots, celery and later, peas and corn.  Pretty good.

RunnerKSA, I hope you're enjoying FL.  Congrats to Vandy on beating TCU.  Looks like we're doing just fine against LSU.  We played Missouri this week as well....that should be it for all the Tigers....

Dave59, some places are definitely better than others for drivers.  I lived in Italy for 3 years when I was active duty.  Always got plenty of room when cycling--they'd seem to aim at you if you were running.

bioguy, I hope you're able to avoid it (the flu)!

tomwhite, sorry about the foot/leg.  But the bike can be your friend (really).

enkephalin, nothing the US government does goes quickly.  I had to get my security clearance renewed (they recheck periodically depending on your clearance level).  Took close to two years.  Good luck--I hope it speeds up for you!  As for your question, I would think that as long as you don't leave the country you should be ok (would be difficult to get back in).  But I'd check that!

pfriese, nice 8!

Holly S, totally stealing "mizzle."  Way to get in the run.

spacityrunner, yeah, definitely been a "trampoline" winter 'round these parts!

Henrun, nice run around the reservoir.

C-R, nice long run...especially on a TM!  And congratulations to your son!

Falconfixer

Wildchild, sounds like beautiful country!