Masters Running

Hill Training Video (Read 352 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Check this out:

http://www.lydiardfoundation.org/training/hilltrainingdvd.aspx

My neighbors might laugh at me, but I have to try this up my hill a few times. 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Oh, yeah, I can just picture myself bounding up my hill, with two dogs clipped to my belt!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

hey - if it helps with hills i'll try it - they are my nemesis!!

denise

OK, I'm catching my breath now, that was a hoot.  Holly, you have to get DD to do this with you so the neighbors get a total event!
          Masters 2000 miles
            it can't be worse than doing high skipping and butt kicks for a warm-up.

King of PhotoShop

Hang on!  Time out!  I have lots to say about this!

First, thanks for posting this Holly.  I had no idea this film made it to the Lydiard Foundation website.  I saw it for the first time the week before Arthur Lydiard died.  He was in Dallas to give a lecture and Greg McMillan (McMillan Coaching, the guy who has that calculator), was the moderator. They showed the film that night.

There were a few of us older guys in the audience and many of us had read Lydiard's books, in which he describes this bounding motion for the initial hill workouts.  It's great that we have the film because it isn't easy to figure out what he is talking about in the books.  (Lydiard was often criticized because he was vague or imprecise about important details of his plans, which is why these later authors like Fitz and Daniels came along and filled the voids with their own far more rigid definitions and plans.)

There is one important factor that runners should consider when weighing the advantages of doing a workout like this:  Lydiard's runners all did it, and Lydiard's runners never got hurt.  And in fact, in response to a question from the audience, Lydiard said it again for perhaps the millionth time, "My runners never got hurt."

Notice the high knee lift of the runners.  Who could not benefit from a high knees drill like that?  They do them now in many track and cross-country practices.  And the additional strength work for all the dorsiflexor and other foot and ankle muscles prepares the runner for the much more intense workouts to follow.  Lydiard's hill work preceded the anaerobic work, so that the muscles, joints and tendons were prepared for this more intense work, and as a result, "Lydiard's runners never got hurt."

I take everyone's point who says "I would look silly doing this workout," but this is a great training discipline and a great film and has learning value.  Glad I know where I can find it now.  Thanks again Holly.  Spareribs

I'm with Ribs on this....I remember doing them in High School. We'd pile into the van, drive to Flagpole Hill (Dallas, Texas), and go a-bounding up.

So Lydiard and Macmillan were buddies? Does that mean I can't poo-poo at his pace thing?

Walt

King of PhotoShop

Walt, I didn't know you were from this area.  Just ran a race Sunday that started near Flagpole.

And McMillan only works if you do the work for that distance.  Sometimes people get fooled by it.  I take your point however.  Are you from TX?  Still live here?  Spareribs

usandtoto-2@msn.com

Holly, thanks for posting this clip.  I had read about it too, but as Spareribs said it was difficult to picture how to actually do the bounding.  I'm going to start this Saturday after my recovery run.

Marathon Maniac #530 Mike (My Indian name is "Runs for Beer")

Maniac 505

Holly:

thanks for posting that hilarious video.  and Ribs.  thanks for posting your insight.  I am a fan of laydiard. I will have to try this when I am ready to start picking my speed back up

I would love to not get hurt 

Dave

Marathon Maniac #957

I tried these at the end of my run today, 5 sets of 60 high-kneed, bounding, uphill leaps, followed by slow jogs back downhill.  These are pretty tough, actually. 

Since I live on a hill, it wouldn’t be hard to incorporate these into the ends of my runs, that last ¼ mile uphill to my house.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

Interesting. Maybe it's just me, but this strikes me as something that I'd need someone to watch me try for the first couple of times to make sure I'm doing them correctly.

Never got hurt?  Never?  I'm skeptical.

BTW, this reminds of a story.  This spring before a race I was slowly warming up with a buddy of mine and a group of local speedsters passed us, turned sharply off the road, and headed down a grassy hill towards some woods.  When they got to the bottom they did a U-turn and did this bounding drill back up the hill.  My buddy looks at me and deadpans, "Oh, drills.  I thought they were all going in the woods to take a leak." 

Be safe. Be kind.

King of PhotoShop

Tramps, remember that Lydiard was a hell of a salesman.  If anybody ever got hurt, I doubt he would bring it up.  But the point he is making is valid. These strengthening exercises were essential to his overall plan.

And I also agree with you, it would be good to have someone watch you do the drill, as the goal is not a lot of forward motion, but more up and down with a vigorous arm swing.  Maybe runners would try to make more forward progress at the expense of doing the exercise correctly.  Spareribs