Masters Running

Sunday Kookie Kalorie Killer Runs & Snowy Adventures (Read 329 times)

So Many Cookies lately   Had to kill some calories

6.2 snowy miles 9:58 pace, oh the coffee was so good

Have a wonderful day everyone 

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

I'm surprised to be only the second one posting at noon.  I need to catch up a bit since my last post on Friday. PBJ, congrats to your daughter on being queen.  Tramps, that's a pretty snow picture but I don't want to be in it.  breger, nice 5K with 1st in AG.  Walt, good job on your speedy 5K.

Nice long runs for mariposai, CNY ( a couple), and jlynne (on the TM).

My wife's knee surgery went well on Friday and she's getting around pretty well without too much discomfort.  The bad news is that the doctor found arthritis, in addition to the meniscus tear which was repaired.  The arthritis will likely cause the need for a knee replacement in a few years.

Yesterday, we were scheduled to see a Michigan State basketball game with our kids and our son's in laws.  My wife was clearly not up for the experience but felt well enough to take care of herself and sent me off on my own.  I enjoyed myself except for the drive home in slippery conditions.  Before I went yesterday, I got in a 4 mile run at a 9:47 pace.  This morning, it was in the low to mid 20s and there was a light breeze.  I'd forgotten to charge my Garmin so picked a route where I have good idea of the distance and got in about 6 miles.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

evanflein

No cookies here, but no shortage of calories, apparently. Nice run, Sarge.

Tom, glad to hear your wife's surgery went well. And arthritis doesn't necessarily mean a knee replacement... my DH has quite a bit and only 2/3 of his meniscus in his left knee. We'll see how long he can go on with that. 

My back is a bit sore from shoveling hard packed rough snow at the bottom of the driveway yesterday. We're not supposed to "plow" it into the road, but I figured a few shovel fulls wouldn't bother the grader driver when he came through. Well, apparently he thought so. The stinker scraped it into a pile and raised his blade, so now I have a big "bump" of hard snow at the bottom. Grrr. I really don't like the guys we have plowing this year. Definitely a "lowest bidder" sort of thing.

After yesterday's almost 7 miler on the treadmill I've got a little bit of tenderness in my arch this morning. So... I would like to get in an outdoor run today (hey, it's only -20 this morning!!), but I'll scale it back. Was hoping to reach 20 miles this week, but I guess that can wait.

I started out in our unplowed neighborhood this morning, and got out onto better roads as quickly as possible.  Still, it was a combination of single-track on our streets, bare pavement on a nearby highway, and hardpack through another neighborhood. It made for slow going and 6.5 miles was enough.  I'm pretty happy that my knee held up with no pain.

I also have a bit of a sore back today from yesterday's shovel-thon.  Bright sun today and all the snow is beautiful.  I'm not sure what the final tally was, but I'm guessing 18 inches where we live. We're going to venture out to the grocery store now.  Hopefully they've had deliveries.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

7.5 slow snowy s'miles for me -  hard to know how to dress, i started out feeling ok but needed to loop back for warmer gloves and a face mask - the snow and wind made by cheeks cold, but part way thru i needed to take the mask off so i could breathe better, also stopped around 2 miles to help an older man shovel out his walkway while he waited for the "plow guy" - so cute, he had such sparkling blue eyes!!  ....... need another way to log these miles in - only category that fits is "easy" but they were anything but............still grateful for the gift!!

Tom - glad your wife's surgery went well - wishing her a speedy recovery!

Byll and Walt - i too forgot to say congrats on your speedy races - you guys rock!!

stay warm and safe friends - enjoy your families!!

denise

Marathon Maniac #957

Sarge – I thought you were going to say, “so many cookies, so little time.”……

Tom – I’m glad to hear your DW came through the surgery okay, but that’s too bad about the arthritis.

{{{PDR}}} and {{{Erika}}} and other back-aching shoveling casualties.

Denise – what a gem you are to stop and help someone shovel his driveway!

We mostly dodged the snowstorm here, and although there was a thin layer of ice in many places, the bike path was mostly clear.  Still, I dressed too warmly this time and finished the run on the TM mostly so I could get out of my sweaty layers.

18.1 miles for me today - 13.5 miles for me outside in 28° (ave 10:01), followed by 4.6 miles on the TM @ 10:00.

Now I’m heading up to make a double batch of the English Toffee I make every year at this time – some to give out, some to save for us.  I can either have toffee or wine after dinner…hmmmm….which will it be? 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Storm missed us completely, so there were lots of disappointed kids hoping for snow days who'll just have to wait. The kiddo is in school until Wednesday afternoon and will have plenty of vacation ahead.

(((((sore shoveling backs)))))

I ran 11 miles after the kiddo's morning hockey game. I hadn't intended to run that far but around mile 7 I saw a friend and she had just started her loop. It was worth it to catch up and I'll be hitting 60 mile weeks for a couple weeks yet, so it's all good.  

Holly! A little toffee with your wine should be fine! It's not the number on the scale, but how you feel (and if your clothes fit) I just saw you and you look GREAT. I would go for "and" and not "or".

I am glad your wife's surgery went well and that she getting around okay, tselbs. Good run for you and fun day.

Thanks for the gratitude reminder Deez. You rock!

dg.

Denise,  you were sweet to help the 'blue eyed guy; shovel his driveway!  & nice run in the snow for you.  This must mean you're over your bug, I hope.

Harriet I'm glad your run was painless.  Esp. in the snow. 

Erika, -20? .... hope your foot is ok!!!    I was thinking of you this morning, kept telling myself to Erika-up.

TomS I'm glad your wife's surgery went well.   I hope she can avoid the knee replacement, hard to say, I guess, but I don't think it's inevitable either.     Nice cold weather running for you.

Sarge, I know what you mean about the coffee!  I took a thermos with me this morning for after my run.

WTG Byll & Walt!!!!!   (see, bill.   we're always right.)( ;-) )

This morning was tough for me but I did manage to do what I started out to do.  14.2 miles, 10:19 av. pace, 9:16 max.  ahr 159, max 175.  compared to the rest of you this was IRC!   24F, light winds.   We had just enough snow to make it slippery, & it also covered the crunchy parts left over from the last time, the icy spots, etc.  In a few places there was a lot of it, & some places water so my shoes got wet.  So it was one of those runs like you were talking about yesterday, Holly.   Tense & focused pretty much the whole time.  Tried to relax as much as possible.   It was really beautiful, the sun coming up & shining on the river, snow shimmering, blue in the shadows.   But I didn't dare look too much!    The pace does not include stops for fuel & whatevers.  I  found I really needed those brief stops to stop focusing for a minute.    Well.   I didn't mean to be negative, sorry!   I'm happy to be able to do it, & that I didn't fall!   My knee is talking to me, but really not much more than before I started.  

Then I went to the gym for the usual weight machines, back lifts, side planks, reverse crunches & hammie curls w/ the stab. ball.         does it make any sense that somehow that would make me feel better?  It was hard while I was doing it, but it was almost like scratching an itch.  felt less carpy when I was done.    Walked Sadie about a mile, (poor pooch)  and That is That.

mta, hi Holly, hi Karin.   nice runs you two!   I agree. toffee with the wine.  oh, serious yum.

Took the Yaktrax out for their first test run around the neighborhood to see if my falling in love with them last night was an aberration due to the snowpack and the fact that I was only walking, and in hiking boots no less.  They passed with flying in colors.  In fact, I'm trying to decide whether I think the internet or Yaktrax are a better invention.  OK, so the internet wins, but Yaktrax are tied with, well, at least with the microwave or maybe the remote control.  

I LOVE THEM!!!  I practically tried to fall down on every kind of surface from dry pavement to slick ice to packed snow and everything in between.  Where have they been all my life?  My hope of doing every training run for this marathon outdoors may just happen now that I'm Super Yaktrax Girl.

All of this gushing and I only managed to walk 2.5 miles and run a whopping 1 mile, but that's more a bow to my couch-potato-like singers' existence over the past two weeks and my lingering exhaustion.  I'm back on plan tomorrow now that I know I can trust my footing on the inevitable black ice in the parking lots of my neighborhood.

tselbs - glad to hear your wife's surgery went well;  hope the arthritis isn't too much of a problem until they find a fantastic new way to treat it

PDR - love the new avatar of the Beer-let  Smile

Holly - toffee or wine?  What Karin said.  Wink

Hoping for no snow day tomorrow - don't want to have to make up a day in June when the snow's been finished for 36 hours - but would love a 2-hour delay.  I'm all set to go in on time, and I'd love to get some paperwork and room-straightening done before the kiddos arrive.  

Happy Solstice and welcome back sunshine!!

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Liz, I see that you are in the throes of a Yak-crush. I've never tried them, but probably should: many of the roads I run on are dirt and remain pretty icy even after plowing.

7.6 in 1:09 today, no snow (hurray), but plenty of wind. Bought a new Smartwool cap...over my balaklava, it kept my head real toasty. My bald head, I should say.

Walt

wildchild

Carolyn

Oooh, yeah, tomorrow is solstice!  Thanks for reminding me, yaktrax girl!   Now the days will get longer again, although it'll be a while till we really notice it.

Walt and Bill, nice 5Ks yesterday for you both! 

Tom, glad your wife's surgery went well.  Knee replacements are quite common and if she needs one in a few years, no big deal.  My mom has two new knees and she gets around so much better than before - she should have had them replaced earlier because her mobility was so severely limited but she was afraid to do it and kept putting it off.

I just got in from 4.5 miles with Tazzie and Ladybug.  My left leg still hurts enough that I walked a bunch, and to top it off, one of my yaktrax broke so I had to take it easy coming home on the icy parts.   These yax have lasted 3 years, and at least it's not too late to ask for a new pair for Christmas, since DH hasn't started shopping yet, anyway.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mariposai

toffee or wine?...hummm both...it is the Holiday season after all.

Where is everyone today?

Tom, it is great to hear that your wife's surgery went well.

{{{erika's back}}}} I am glad to see you ran 7 miles yesterday.

Divechief, I really enjoyed your description of the trip you took down under several years ago. Wow, three months of biking, how fun!!!!

Walt, how was your shopping  last night?

Denise, you are amazing. Shoveling someone else's snow...what a big heart person you are.

Karin, 11 miles after the fabulous 19 you ran yesterday...wow girl.

For me, 1:25' of easy running in the fog with Billy Joel giving me a serenade on my MP3 player. You know when I was a teenager I had a huge crush on Billy Joel. I learned to sing up town girl, piano man, just the way you are and other of his songs way before I even understood or spoke English.

I hope all of you are enjoying the last day of fall.

Adorable new AVATAR predawnrunner. I just can imagine how much fun you must be having with baby Nate.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Maniac 505

Great runs for those of you battling the elements,  Eliz: Last year the Maniacs had a discussion about the best winter running traction devices.  many liked Yak tracks but complained that they broke too easy.  Kahtoola's seemed to be favored.

I just registered for the Bataan Death March Memorial marathon,  then I reread srlopez's blog about his experience at the 2006 and 2007 marathons   I should have read them before I registered! 

I hope I am back and will really try to post regularly here once again,  for those that don't know me (and for those that do) I was at cool running before they added a boomers forum.  After the cool running melt down I sort of settled here as much as anywhere. 

In 2007 I ran 12 marathons, a couple of them were near PR 3:35 or so, most were in the 4 hour or so range.  I was injured at my last marathon of 2007, 

2008 I ran almost 0 miles while I recovered. since I wasn't running I pretty much got out of the habit of posting here.

2009 I jogged through 8 marathons, my "training" has mostly consisted of 5 or 6 mile easy runs 5 or 6 days a week with a 15 or 20 mile (or marathon) run a couple times a month.

In the middle of 2009 I had a life changing event, I suffered through some depression for the last half of the year and I probably drank too much (sorry if I bothered anyone with any rambling threads)

I am back!  As I said above I just registered for Bataan.  I know I need to train for that one. I haven't laid out a formal training schedule yet but I am raising the intensity of what I have been doing and I will try to post here regularly

Today, 8 mile tempo run, 3 at 8K race pace.  57º and partly sunny Good running all

Dave

Jlynne DW and I had the same tree calamity happen to us a few years ago.  We were cracking up reading about yours!  You handled it with more aplomb though.  We just decided that was enough tree time for the year and hauled it out of the house.

DW and I are about to leave for a trip up the coast (Monday) so this has to be fast.  Just some pictures from yesterday (Sunday).  We started the day with a river tour.  It was from 10-12 and HOT!  Here is a picture from somewhere along the way:

Along the way we saw some of SteveP's friends hanging around in the trees trying to get some shut eye:

Post river trip we took a walk to the local village.  Of course, no trip would be complete without the ever memorably kangaroo crossing sign!

Have a good day running all!  Seeing how it is Sunday where you are I expect to see a LOT of long runs today in celebration of International Long Run Day!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mariposai

lovely pictures. What an amazing place to relax and enjoy life.  Please tell me you guys swam on that peaceful river. Man, one could spend hours writing, reading or just dreaming in that place. Keep having fun guys and butterfly hugs to mrs. twocat.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard