Masters Running

Life as an Episode on House (Read 418 times)

I figured I would provide a medical update here rather than in the daily for those that want the details.  I fear that this story does not have an upbeat ending in which a heroic doctor saves the day.  Life, alas, is not exactly like a TV episode.

Starting at the end of our story:  it is not entirely clear after 7 doctors, three MRIs, X-rays, and other tests that anybody really knows why my leg is not working properly.  The last diagnosis is that my back is falling apart and that is that.   It is very possible that this is right.  The last MRI apparently shows wear along my spinal column.  For what little it is worth my running problems seem to be due to other issues and not a result of running.  This is one reason my doctor has told me to just run while I can.  He does not think it is doing any harm.  But it does mean my running problems may very well return and I will have to quit again.  Nothing is for sure here.  Maybe an eighth doctor will figure out a solution.  I have not totally given up.

Finally, I want to thank everybody here for their good wishes over the past 15 plus months where I have been on a running hiatus.  Running virtually through your daily reports and occasional race reports has been a great outlet.  I am happy to once again join the daily with my own runs and will do so for as long as I can.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

wildchild

Carolyn

Maybe it's amyloidosis, sarcoidosis, or lupus.  Those are pretty typical suggestions from House's team, anyway.  Although it never turns out to be any of those in the end. 

Enjoy running while you can, and hopefully it will get better on it's own. Good luck. You've been so patient you deserve to be better!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Twocat, I don't know how old you are - but you deserve better than what the running gods have given you. IMO, just watching you support your DW as she truly just begins to find her abilities as a runner by offering encouragement, baking muffins, etc. speaks volumns about what a kind person you are. I wish I could tell you that Doctor #8 was going to find the cure you're looking for. I just want you to know that I respect you for your patience, friendship and kind words you've extended to all of us as you've watched us run races of any distance  you wish you could be a part of.  Through all of this, you never lost your sense of humor or willingness to give an encouraging word to someone who needed it. My hope is that somehow, sometime, you will be back every day telling us about the awesome run you had. Thank you!
        evanflein

Well, being told to run while you can is much better than being told to never run again, right?? Sorry, just trying to look for the positive here. You're back among the running and enjoy it with gusto! Well, walk and run and work up to that gusto, I guess, but still.

Back issues are much more common than you'd think. I was sure my problem was my hip, and it turned out to be lumbar disc issues and sciatica. Lots of core and cross training helped me, and could keep you in the game for longer than otherwise. A strong core supports the back which makes the nerves and legs all that much happier. And blah, blah, blah you know all this. Just glad to know we'll have 2kitty running reports in the daily going forward!

lamerunner

House might come in handy... I had back issues for much of fall 08 through winter 09. It was bad enough  i got three cortisone shots in my spine, the last one 6 days before Boston 09.  I have also learned some exercises and am stil prone to sciatic  lower back issues.

Hang in there. There are lots of good treatments these days...

Enjoy the running and hope for the best!

Marathon Maniac #3309

Thanks for the explanation Twocat, as I have been curious about your running situation. Yes, it sucks to hear the news about how nothing can be done ( I don't always believe what Doc's have to say BTW) But I tell Ya what I would do..........run as long as you can....and enjoy it as much as possible..... seriously I would!!! And then hopefully another Doc will come up with a cause, and solution.

I too want to thank you for being a real inspiration to the rest of us, when you couldn't run. And how you helped your wife with her training and her race, was absolutely priceless........(darn, sounds like a eulogy now )

So, I now look forward to reading about your runs....no matter how long - short - fast - or slow  

Thanks Twocat,

Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

#artbydmcbride

Eight or nine doctors is usually the charm...never give up.   Thanks for letting us know what's going on.

Runners run

Thanks for the update, Twocat.  Hang in there and do what you can about running and looking for more medical solutions.  Take care my friend.

TomS

What a journey this continues to be for you Twocat and yet your good humor and perspective is amazing. My friend Iron J who you met at IronHorse and the New Haven 20k has lumbar spine stenosis and is really struggling with her left leg---no push-off power and then pain after about 6 miles. PT and cortisone shots are helping her a bit and she hopes to run more this summer. She joins me in sending you good wishes.

I hope the walk/run plan allows you to get out there more and more. I've missed you at races!

Take good care Twocat

Sorry to hear your ailments are continuing Twocat

It must be very frustrating but at least it's ok to continue with a little running

Keep being sensible and don't overdue it.  We wish you well.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Hang in there, Twocat.  We're all pullin' for your well being.
                        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                          Twocat- With all that you've been through it impresses me how you still keep going and searching for answers. I hope that you find peace, joy and comfort in whatever running you are able to do. It is no surprise that your back is wearing down with your editor on it constantly.
                          Slo

Twocat.......I 2nd everything said here. Your a valuable member to this community. 

I look forward to seeing your daily runs posted.

Mariposai

King of patience you are a gem!

Thanks for enriching our lives here.

and now...on to running  and don't forget the walking intervals  

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

coastwalker

For what it is worth, I had sciatica about 8 years ago that was nasty enough that I couldn't drive distances without taking fairly frequent breaks to get up and walk around. I eventually went for acupuncture treatments, and after 3 weeks, the sciatica had all but disappeared, and it hasn't (knock on wood...) resurfaced. The bad thing about acupuncture is that most insurance plans don't cover it. The good thing is that it works or it doesn't. There are no (that I've heard of) side effects or other issues to deal with if it doesn't do the job for you. So it might be worth considering, if you haven't already gone down that path.

Whatever you do, good luck!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.